2 Democrats arrested but very little news

Baldimo

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:03 am
So yesterday 2 Democrat's were arrested. The first was Charlotte NC mayor for corruption. The second was California state Senator Leland Yee. He was busted for arms trafficking. He is also one of the biggest anti-gunners in CA. He has pushed for gun restrictions against the American public but at the same time was trying to buy illegal weapons for the Chinese Mob from terrorists in the Philippians. Hypocrisy has no bounds.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:13 am
@Baldimo,
My main newspaper is the SF Chronicle -
Yee is big news there.
http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/California-state-Sen-Yee-arrested-in-corruption-5350602.php

LA Times, NY Times, Washington Post have paywalls so I read them much less than I used to.

I think I glancingly read about the Charlotte mayor but not sure where, maybe just my google news page.

Edit - the Chronicle has an article re the Charlotte mayor too, just saw it.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:18 am
@Baldimo,
well this is a normal occurance in MA - politicians being arrested so I guess it is simply the norm and not the unusual that makes news.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:40 am
ossobuco: I would think it would be big news in your area, seeing as he is one of the reps for N Cali. Neither CNN or MSNBC has anything on their front pages about these stories.

You would think that they are covering for these guys.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:50 am
@Baldimo,
I don't do tv news unless the text is linked on the daily google news page and somehow interests me more than other sources so I dunno. The SF Chron is a long way from Charlotte though, and the mayoral news is on their site today.
0 Replies

Peter Frouman

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 12:20 pm
@Baldimo,
According to Google News, only 592 news outlets have covered the indictment and resignation of former Charlotte mayor Patrick D. Cannon and only 672 news outlets have covered the arrest of California state senator Leland Yee. Most of the coverage seems to be from a few hundred regional and national newspapers, magazines and television news shows as well as tiny non-mainstream alternative news outlets like CNN, Fox News, NBC News, the New York Times, the Washington Post and the Los Angeles Times. So, yes it would definitely appear that the news media is burying this story and "covering for these guys." Considering how few news outlets have covered this, it's amazing that you even heard about it.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 07:11 am
Or it could just be that nobody knows these guys, I sure don't. The one arrested for arms dealing is really hypercritical and worthy of more news coverage. I actually saw something of this on yahoo news, like others I don't watch the news on tv much at all.
roger

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 01:51 pm
@revelette2,
Really. A corrupt mayor somewhere just isn't news these days. Man did not bite dog.
Baldimo

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 01:54 pm
@roger,
If this has been a GOP Mayor, it would have been front page news and you know it.

This is only small news because the MSM likes to cover the the Dems.
parados

Reply Tue 1 Apr, 2014 02:32 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

If this has been a GOP Mayor, it would have been front page news and you know it.

This is only small news because the MSM likes to cover the the Dems.

Sure, that must be why all the news services have spent so much time on the arrest of Republican former Manalapan Mayor Andrew Lucas on Feb 7th. It's the only thing my paper has been running.

That must be why googling GOP mayor arrested brought up 8 stories about a Dem mayor and only one about a GOP mayor. It's just too much coverage so Google needed to try to hide it.

Baldimo

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 07:52 am
@parados,
Don't forget about Mayor Ray Nagin going to jail. How much news did that get? Yeah a story from Feb 7th isn't going to generate the searches you want. Google will hit on mayor arrested and give you the top stories.

Mark Foley got busted, and it lead the 2006 election cycle and the Dems into leading congress for the last 2 years of Bush 2nd term.
parados

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 12:53 pm
@Baldimo,
Every major news outlet carried Nagin's conviction. Why don't you find something real to whine about?

Quote:
Mark Foley got busted, and it lead the 2006 election cycle and the Dems into leading congress for the last 2 years of Bush 2nd term.
Correlation does not create cause. Bush's approval ratings in the high 30s were the more likely cause of Dem victory.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 01:06 pm
@parados,
Keep telling yourself that. The media won the day for the Dems in 2006, it has nothing to do with correlation.
parados

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 01:12 pm
@Baldimo,
ROFLMAO.... Right, because no off year election is ever related to the approval ratings of the President.

Historically, the party that doesn't hold the WH picks up seats in the Congressional elections.

Historically, the party that doesn't hold the WH picks up seats if the President's approval numbers are below 50. Bush's ranged from 33 to 37 in the month and weeks before the election.

But that doesn't matter if you can blame the media and the coverage of the Foley scandal. It must make you sleep better at night knowing it wasn't your party's incompetence that lost the election but a media conspiracy.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 08:02 pm
@Baldimo,
You'll have to wait for one of max's regular "How low can Republicans stoop?!" threads wherein he highlights the outlandish comments or actions of some obscure Republican State legislator, and the usual suspects wax on about what souless pukes all Repupublicans are.

In the meantime stories like the ones you've noted will not be carried by the MSM and everyone gets to say..."It's local, no big deal."

engineer

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2014 08:13 pm
@Baldimo,
I read about both of these the day they came out. Living in NC, the Charlotte one was front page of my newspaper. Why do you think they are not being covered?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2014 04:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
In the meantime stories like the ones you've noted will not be carried by the MSM and everyone gets to say..."It's local, no big deal."

Except as has been noted they were carried by most national news services.

You guys are like little kids. If you stick your fingers in your ears, close your eyes and yell, "La, la, la." then you think something didn't happen because you never saw it or heard about it.
0 Replies