Should "as 'murder'" be "as 'murderer'"?

JTT

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 02:13 pm
@anonymously99,
You've got to formulate a real question so that I can understand what you are driving at, A.
Wilso

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 02:54 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Wilso: I'm sure there are many uses of the language that would sound alien to me, which are technically correct.
--------------

That's an oft repeated falsehood, Wilso.

No it's not. I've seen on it this forum. I see some sentence which looks like crap, then someone with scholarly training/qualifications in the language, comes and points out that it's correct. For that to be a falsehood, there'd have to be a couple of thousand posts on A2K which don't exist.
Wilso

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 02:58 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Wilso: Newspapers in general are not good references for the correct use of language.

Actually they are a recognized register which language scientists use to determine the English use in the newspaper register. Smile

That may be the case, but for someone such as Oristar, who's trying to learn the language, there's a good chance that he's going to see incorrect use of English in newspapers, particularly ones from non-English speaking countries.

I see it in newspapers in Australia. Incorrect spellings, poor use of grammar, just to name a couple.
JTT

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 03:05 pm
@Wilso,
W: particularly ones from non-English speaking countries.

I'm sure that Ori can figure out that foreign newspapers can make errors in English.

W: Incorrect spellings, poor use of grammar, just to name a couple.

Everyone can make spelling errors. As regards grammar errors, it may be that you are seeing errors that you have mistakenly been led to believe are errors.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 03:06 pm
@Wilso,
Now I understand what you were trying to say.
Wilso

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 03:24 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Now I understand what you were trying to say.

Then maybe my English is OK.
JTT

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 03:29 pm
@Wilso,
I've never had any problem with your English, Wilso, but I'm used to 2nd language learners. Smile
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 03:43 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
You've got to formulate a real question so that I can understand what you are driving at, A.

Cool :feeling loved:
0 Replies