The Prez did good at the 9/11 commission today?

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:35 pm
9/11 Panel Quizzes Bush, Cheney for Hours

Apr 29, 6:33 PM (ET)

By DEB RIECHMANN

WASHINGTON (AP) - Hoping to shape history's judgment, President Bush told the Sept. 11 commission Thursday his administration tried to protect America from terrorists as warnings grew before the devastating attack of 2001. Members pressed him on his response to a controversial memo that raised the threat of plane hijackings and attacks with explosives.
"I answered every question they asked," Bush said after he and Vice President Dick Cheney met with the 10-member commission for three hours in the Oval Office. Presidential scholars called the session unprecedented.

Some of Bush's answers were "surprising" and "new," said former Sen. Bob Kerrey, a Democratic member, but he declined to give details. On Bush's demand, the questioning was done behind closed doors without a transcriber to make an official record, and the president refused to discuss the substance of the discussions.

Sitting in high-back chairs in front of the fireplace, Bush and Cheney faced questions about the lack of a U.S. military response after the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole that killed 17 American sailors, the administration's response to Sept. 11 and the presidential memo that Bush received a month before the attacks warning that Osama bin Laden was preparing to strike, commission members said.

It was Bush who responded to most of the questions, officials said. Cheney spoke only when Bush turned to him about details he didn't know, according to one participant.

Charged with investigating the Sept. 11 hijackings and recommending steps to prevent future attacks, the commission already has documented a string of urgent warnings communicated to the highest levels of government before Sept. 11. Thursday's meeting could reverberate into the November elections as the commission reports in late July on intelligence failures and missed signals before the attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people. Bush has made his handling of terrorism the centerpiece of his campaign.

Unlike the commission's televised hearings where tempers sometimes flared, there were no tense moments in the Oval Office, said former Gov. Jim Thompson, a Republican commission member. He called Bush "a bit of a tease" and said there was laughter at times.
Richard Ben-Veniste, a Democratic member and an aggressive questioner at earlier sessions, said, "It was a very cordial meeting" and everyone got to ask questions.

Chairman Thomas Kean, a Republican former New Jersey governor, said much of the discussion was devoted to brainstorming possible reforms in areas such as intelligence.

(AP) President Bush, after making remarks in the Rose Garden about his meeting with the September 11...Full Image

"We let the president know we're getting into the recommendation phase, and that it's very important," Kean said. "We said we hoped we could test some things out as to whether some of recommendations we were considering were indeed practical. The president said he was open to some ideas, and nothing was ruled out."

"It was a very good meeting," Kerrey said. "I do think it'll help - in particular the president's description of what happened during 2001 and most particularly on 9/11. The president's narrative was important to give."

"I was impressed by the questions," the president said. "I think it helped them understand how I think and how I run the White House and how we deal with threats." He said there was a lot of discussion about how to protect the nation better.

In a statement afterward, the commissioners thanked Bush and Cheney for their information, and said they had been "forthcoming and candid."
"We are still vulnerable to attack," Bush told reporters. "And the reason why is al-Qaida still exists, al-Qaida's dangerous, al-Qaida hates us. And we have to be correct 100 percent of the time in defending America and they've got to be right once."

The commissioners came bearing briefcases, books and papers, and settled onto couches and chairs in the Oval Office. Bush was joined by his counsel, Alberto Gonzales and two other White House attorneys. The commission's executive director, Philip Zelikow, served as note-taker. Gonzales spoke only once when Bush asked him a question, a participant said.

During the meeting, Bush unleashed a rare rebuke against his own Justice Department. He said was disappointed at Justice's release of documents that Republicans said showed that former Deputy Attorney General Jamie Gorelick - a Democratic member of the commission - was deeply involved in developing 1995 guidance that strengthened a legal "wall" making it difficult for FBI counterintelligence agents to share information with prosecutors and criminal investigators.

"The president does not believe we ought to be pointing fingers in this time period," White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan said.
McClellan, talking with reporters as the commission questioned Bush, said that it was an opportunity for Bush to "talk with them about the seriousness with which we took the threat from al-Qaida, the steps we were taking to confront it and how we have been responding to the attacks of Sept. 11."

Former White House terrorism coordinator Richard Clarke has contended that terrorism was not an urgent issue for Bush before Sept. 11 and that the administration had squandered the opportunity to eliminate al-Qaida.
The White House initially had opposed creation of the commission and later raised objections to extending its term, balked at Bush being questioned by all of the commission members and tried to prevent Condoleezza Rice, the national security adviser, from testifying in public under oath.

Bush declined to reveal what he told the commission, saying the panel would incorporate his and Cheney's comments in its final report.
"I'm glad I did it," Bush said. "I'm glad I took the time. ... I enjoyed it."
He said Cheney "answered a lot of their questions."
Thompson said Bush "was asked the vast majority of the questions and he answered them ... I thought the president gave a five-star performance."

Two members, Kerrey and Lee Hamilton, the vice chairman, left the Oval Office early because of what they said were prior commitments.

Associated Press writer Hope Yen contributed to this report
9/11 Panel Quizzes Bush, Cheney for Hours

Apr 29, 6:33 PM (ET)

By DEB RIECHMANN
WASHINGTON (AP) - Hoping to shape history's judgment, President Bush told the Sept. 11 commission Thursday his administration tried to protect America from terrorists as warnings grew before the devastating attack of 2001. Members pressed him on his response to a controversial memo that raised the threat of plane hijackings and attacks with explosives.
"I answered every question they asked," Bush said after he and Vice President Dick Cheney met with the 10-member commission for three hours in the Oval Office. Presidential scholars called the session unprecedented.
Some of Bush's answers were "surprising" and "new," said former Sen. Bob Kerrey, a Democratic member, but he declined to give details. On Bush's demand, the questioning was done behind closed doors without a transcriber to make an official record, and the president refused to discuss the substance of the discussions.
Sitting in high-back chairs in front of the fireplace, Bush and Cheney faced questions about the lack of a U.S. military response after the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole that killed 17 American sailors, the administration's response to Sept. 11 and the presidential memo that Bush received a month before the attacks warning that Osama bin Laden was preparing to strike, commission members said.
It was Bush who responded to most of the questions, officials said. Cheney spoke only when Bush turned to him about details he didn't know, according to one participant.
Charged with investigating the Sept. 11 hijackings and recommending steps to prevent future attacks, the commission already has documented a string of urgent warnings communicated to the highest levels of government before Sept. 11. Thursday's meeting could reverberate into the November elections as the commission reports in late July on intelligence failures and missed signals before the attacks that killed nearly 3,000 people. Bush has made his handling of terrorism the centerpiece of his campaign.
Unlike the commission's televised hearings where tempers sometimes flared, there were no tense moments in the Oval Office, said former Gov. Jim Thompson, a Republican commission member. He called Bush "a bit of a tease" and said there was laughter at times.
Richard Ben-Veniste, a Democratic member and an aggressive questioner at earlier sessions, said, "It was a very cordial meeting" and everyone got to ask questions.
Chairman Thomas Kean, a Republican former New Jersey governor, said much of the discussion was devoted to brainstorming possible reforms in areas such as intelligence.

(AP) President Bush, after making remarks in the Rose Garden about his meeting with the September 11...Full Image

"We let the president know we're getting into the recommendation phase, and that it's very important," Kean said. "We said we hoped we could test some things out as to whether some of recommendations we were considering were indeed practical. The president said he was open to some ideas, and nothing was ruled out."
"It was a very good meeting," Kerrey said. "I do think it'll help - in particular the president's description of what happened during 2001 and most particularly on 9/11. The president's narrative was important to give."
"I was impressed by the questions," the president said. "I think it helped them understand how I think and how I run the White House and how we deal with threats." He said there was a lot of discussion about how to protect the nation better.
In a statement afterward, the commissioners thanked Bush and Cheney for their information, and said they had been "forthcoming and candid."
"We are still vulnerable to attack," Bush told reporters. "And the reason why is al-Qaida still exists, al-Qaida's dangerous, al-Qaida hates us. And we have to be correct 100 percent of the time in defending America and they've got to be right once."
The commissioners came bearing briefcases, books and papers, and settled onto couches and chairs in the Oval Office. Bush was joined by his counsel, Alberto Gonzales and two other White House attorneys. The commission's executive director, Philip Zelikow, served as note-taker. Gonzales spoke only once when Bush asked him a question, a participant said.
During the meeting, Bush unleashed a rare rebuke against his own Justice Department. He said was disappointed at Justice's release of documents that Republicans said showed that former Deputy Attorney General Jamie Gorelick - a Democratic member of the commission - was deeply involved in developing 1995 guidance that strengthened a legal "wall" making it difficult for FBI counterintelligence agents to share information with prosecutors and criminal investigators.
"The president does not believe we ought to be pointing fingers in this time period," White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan said.
McClellan, talking with reporters as the commission questioned Bush, said that it was an opportunity for Bush to "talk with them about the seriousness with which we took the threat from al-Qaida, the steps we were taking to confront it and how we have been responding to the attacks of Sept. 11."
Former White House terrorism coordinator Richard Clarke has contended that terrorism was not an urgent issue for Bush before Sept. 11 and that the administration had squandered the opportunity to eliminate al-Qaida.
The White House initially had opposed creation of the commission and later raised objections to extending its term, balked at Bush being questioned by all of the commission members and tried to prevent Condoleezza Rice, the national security adviser, from testifying in public under oath.
Bush declined to reveal what he told the commission, saying the panel would incorporate his and Cheney's comments in its final report.
"I'm glad I did it," Bush said. "I'm glad I took the time. ... I enjoyed it."
He said Cheney "answered a lot of their questions."
Thompson said Bush "was asked the vast majority of the questions and he answered them ... I thought the president gave a five-star performance."
Two members, Kerrey and Lee Hamilton, the vice chairman, left the Oval Office early because of what they said were prior commitments.

Associated Press writer Hope Yen contributed to this report
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040429/D828O5HG0.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,579 • Replies: 27
No top replies

blatham

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:37 pm
In answer to the thread question...who the hell knows? Certainly no citizens of his country.

But this is the part I love...
Quote:

First of all, Ashcroft's staff reviewed, OKed, and continued Gorelick's work.

But it is the "Dang, I'm mad at my AG doing that naughty thing" line that is without either credibility or responsibility.

We'll note that the McClellan line "the pres is too good a guy to go pointing blamey fingers about" is a duplicate of the one from Fleisher when he said "Well, I don't want to go talking about the destruction of the White House by outgoing Clinton staff (falsely reported in almost all media, after being fed it from Bush staff) because the pres doesn't want to start off pointing fingers"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:17 pm
Well, it was private, unrecorded and not under oath. Who gives a rat's patoot if he done good or not.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:21 pm
Foxfyre, may I recommend this thread?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/about23897.html
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:08 pm
Of course Bush went in beside his VP. God forbid this dill should have to say more than 4 words without a teleprompter in front of him, and someone pulling his strings!
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 06:26 am
kickycan Smile

I agree with blatham.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 06:39 am
"Well, it was private, unrecorded and not under oath." littlek

That's the historical aspect of Bush's appearance and the one future generations will ponder.

I call it a missed opportunity.

Bush=secretiveness.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:35 am
Quote:
The president did not mention, but we will remind everyone, that the White House historically has made the commission's work more difficult. Indeed, if it was up to the White House, the panel would not even exist. The White House opposed the creation of the 9/11 commission in the first place, and tried to cut its funding after it was created. It has been slow to produce documents from the Bush and Clinton White Houses. Bush tried in vain to speak only to the two co-commissioners, not the entire commission, and for only one hour. Condoleeza Rice initially refused to appear in public and under oath before the panel, and did so only after the White House struck a deal that the panel could not call any other White House officials to do the same. These are the people who have "nothing to hide."

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room//index.html
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:27 am
So, no one actually knows how many questions directed at George Bush were intercepted by Dick Cheney with a "Let me take that one........?"

Since there is no official record, video or public transcript, how will the American public ever know?

This strikes me as quite bizarre.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:33 am
Again, it is not the commissions job to make public everything that it finds or dicusses.
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:38 am
Apparently, it isn't the obligation of your President and Vice President to be forthcoming with the voters who elected them either.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:43 am
About matters of national security, no.

I don't really want any more terrorists knowing how to do what previous terrorists did, do you?
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:51 am
greenumbrella observes, "Apparently, it isn't the obligation of your President and Vice President to be forthcoming with the voters who elected them either."

But therein lies the problem.

The voters didn't 'elect' them. They won a lawsuit and were installed.

Very different.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:53 am
McGentrix wrote:
About matters of national security, no.

I don't really want any more terrorists knowing how to do what previous terrorists did, do you?

which explains the public declarations of how our intelligence is not up to snuff and will take five years to get that way.....the terrorists won't hear that....they don't get cable...... :wink:

Forthcoming sometimes...secretive others....it depends only on what's expedient to reelect jr.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:56 am
Several media sources last night, including ABC and CNBC, included in their newscast that President Bush's appearance before the Commission was unprecedented--implications that presidents don't do things like that--and that almost all questions were directed to the president who answered them. He turned to Cheney on very few occasions when Cheney had the information.

In the constitutional separation of powers, it is absolutely essential that a president should not be compelled to tell everything he knows just because people are curious about it or have questions.

President Bush has gone further than any other president has to be helpful to a fact finding body.

The most instructive comment in the news report introducing this thread is:

Quote:

For purposes of gathering information for the most useful and comprehensive report possible, I think it would have been constructive for the Commission to have met privately, away from media cameras and microphones, etc., for all the testimony.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:57 am
"the terrorists won't hear that....they don't get cable." Bi-Polar Bear

Someone on able2know yesterday said all the households in Iraq get CNN for their news.

I thought this was a strange remark. After all, why would Iraqis watch CNN when al Jazeera TV is available to them?

Those Iraqis with electricity and who are not burying their dead, that is.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 09:00 am
Because even Iraqi's know Al Jazeera lies.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:27 am
I doubt too many people will be soothed by their explanation nor soothed by any comments made by the commissions even if they do come from democrats too.

The point is that all the rest of the administration testified on "matters of security" so there was no real reason for them not to do so publically. If they were asked a question that fell under classified, they could have just said "its classified." I would imagine it would have meant a lot of the victims families and the rest of the country to hear from the man who was in charge that day that changed history for the whole world. I am not talking about platitudes and the like but actual information, just like it would be nice to hear from Clinton and Gore publically.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:33 am
Quote:
President Bush has gone further than any other president has to be helpful to a fact finding body.

That is an absolute falsehood. See my previous post as to all the ways in which this claim is poop-ridden.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 10:35 am
Just reporting what your favorite reporters have been reporting Blatham.
0 Replies