It's enough to make you sick. . .

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:20 pm
Whether or not you agree with the writer's point here, I wonder how often the terrorists have been able to detract us in order to color our perception of what is in the news?

Sunday, April 18, 2004
Enough to make you sick
By Phil Lucas
Executive Editor - The New Herald

The stories we tell define the nation. Stories poorly told can destroy it.
It works the same with children. If you tell 10 stories a day to a lovely child and nine of them say she is weak, ugly and stupid, she will come to believe it. She may be pregnant by 15, a meth addict by 17, join a cult by 19, then elope with the family cat to get married in Massachusetts.
So it goes with the country. Consider our national storytellers: the media.
Ten days ago, American and coalition forces engaged Iraqi ""insurgents,"" as the national press politely calls them. Sane Americans know them as the enemy, gunmen of an Islamic religious leader. An American brigadier general gave a televised briefing on the battle for several cities.

As he explained the fight for Fallujah and how we had taken three bridges at Kut, suddenly across the bottom of the screen appeared a Fox News Alert: EXPLOSION HEARD IN BAGHDAD!!!!!

Fox immediately switched to a camera shot of a Baghdad skyline. The voice of a reporter came on, urgently speculating about an explosion, perhaps caused by a car bomb or a mortar or an RPG (rocket propelled grenade, to the unwashed) or whatever else the reporter could think of. Then the camera zeroed in on a hole in some concrete, perhaps a parking lot or sidewalk. The hole appeared to be about the size of a wheelbarrow, the evident location of the EXPLOSION HEARD IN BAGHDAD!!!!!
They got an expert on the phone. The TV guys keep a herd of experts handy for just such an event. The reporter asked the expert what could have happened.

He said to her, and I paraphrase, ""I''ll tell you what happened. This is a war of information. You were showing the general''s briefing, and they wanted you off it, so they set off a bomb in Baghdad.""
The reporter stammered, ""Uh, oh . . ."" and commenced to get the guy off the phone. He had more expertise than she expected.
A quick flick to CNN showed the same camera shot: a hole in concrete. On MSNBC: a hole in concrete.

No doubt the general continued his briefing, the subject of which was the most intense and costly fighting in a year.
A war of information. Of storytelling. Comically inept, you think? True. But this sort of reporting by the national press is not the exception. When the press reports about Iraq and virtually all other contested issues in the news, ineptitude is the rule. This is true of television and also of print reporting. We zero in on the worst thing that happens, time after time, day after day, the effect of which is to present the worst thing as the norm, even when it is only one-tenth of the whole story. For good measure, we throw in our personal opinions, arrogantly certain they are correct.

We have all noticed that the few stories we get from people who have served in or visited Iraq rarely match the sky-is-falling enthusiasm we get from our press.
Some call this biased reporting. I call it deceitful, or just plain lying.
Four weeks ago the Israelis killed Ahmed Yassin, the Islamic religious leader who founded Hamas, one of the purposes of which is to kill Israelis. Some news reports called him ""revered spiritual leader."" Revered by whom? Israelis? Americans? Palestinians? Is there any doubt as to the reporters'' opinion?

Virtually all news reports said he was ""assassinated,"" which means murder, an illegal act. From the Israeli point of view, is it illegal to chop the head off a snake trying to strike you? Reporters could have written ""executed,"" a word loaded in the other direction, implying legality and favoring the Israelis. Or they could have just written ""killed"" and let readers and viewers decide what is right and what is wrong.
Here''s a line from an Associated Press story about the president''s press conference last week. ""Bush sidestepped at least two opportunities to say he wanted to apologize or take personal responsibility.""

""Sidestepped?"" ""Opportunities?"" Nobody sidesteps opportunities. You sidestep duck droppings on the sidewalk. Think this reporter has an opinion he wants to share? If he reveals this kind of blatant bias in any part of a news story, it casts a shadow over every word he writes.
USA Today wrote this: ""Offered numerous chances to second-guess his approach to Iraq, he rejected them all.""

Nobody ""rejects"" any ""chances"" worth taking. It defies human nature. As for ""second-guessing,"" we don''t need to guess whose opinion that is. The reporters'' two names are in the byline. Assuming perhaps that their readers were too stupid to get it, the reporters used these words a few paragraphs down: ""denied,"" ""argued"" and ""conceded."" All referred to Bush. These are words for the opinion pages, like the one you are on now, unless you draw no distinction between news and opinion, unless you believe your opinion is the news.
Press folly plumbs new depths when witnessed live, as in the televised press conference itself.

It was enough to raise old editors from the dead, their standards and self-discipline sorely missing from the modern newsroom. Others of us just squirmed with embarrassment, partly for the president, prone to trip over a syllable, but mostly for the profession. Reporter after reporter couched questions in the negative, assuming the worst was true, knowing the worst was true, looking for the kill. They used words like failure, defeat and mistake, time after time after time. That''s not reporting. That''s not seeking truth. That''s an agenda.

Smelling blood, the pack salivated for an apology from the president.
On this point I agree. An apology is in order.

So here it is.

I am sorry our storytellers have us by the neck. We are better than they picture us. We are better than they are.

As an editor, I apologize to Americans for the national disgrace of inept and self-indulgent journalists, who hound after the worst and ugliest to the exclusion of much else, who strut their opinions with conceit, and who spew it all forth upon the public and call it news.

http://www.newsherald.com/viewpoint/phillucas/040418.shtml
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,363 • Replies: 49
No top replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:25 pm
It makes me sick alright. The actions of the US, I mean:
War Crimes
Quote:

Remember Falluja
By Orit Shohat

During the first two weeks of this month, the American army committed war crimes in Falluja on a scale unprecedented for this war. According to the relatively few media reports of what took place there, some 600 Iraqis were killed during these two weeks, among them some 450 elderly people, women and children.
The sight of decapitated children, the rows of dead women and the shocking pictures of the soccer stadium that was turned into a temporary grave for hundreds of the slain - all were broadcast to the world only by the Al Jazeera network. During the operation in Falluja, according to the organization Doctors Without Borders, U.S. Marines even occupied the hospitals and prevented hundreds of the wounded from receiving medical treatment. Snipers fired from the rooftops at anyone who tried to approach.

This was a retaliatory operation, carried out by the Marines, accompanied by F-16 fighter planes and assault helicopters, under the code name "Vigilant Resolve." It was revenge for the killing of four American security guards on March 31. But while the killing of the guards, whose bodies were dragged through the streets of the city and then hung from a bridge, received wide media coverage, and thus prepared hearts and minds for the military revenge, the hundreds of victims of the American retaliation were practically a military secret.

The only conclusion that has been drawn thus far from the indiscriminate killing in Falluja is the expulsion of Al Jazeera from the city. Since the start of the war, the Americans have persecuted the network's journalists - not because they report lies, but because they are virtually the only ones who manage to report the truth. The Bush administration, in cooperation with the American media, is trying to hide the sights of war from the world, and particularly from American voters.

This week, for the first time, the Americans permitted pictures to be published of the coffins of dead American soldiers being sent back home. Until this week, such pictures were forbidden. Therefore, it is no wonder Bush's poll results are better than ever, even though the number of Americans killed in Iraq in April has reached 115.

Is the occupation of Iraq hindering terrorism, or inflaming it? Will the number of dead soldiers - in contrast to the number of Iraqi victims - prompt a reassessment? It is clear that the American war crimes will not reach the International Court of Justice in The Hague. Today, America sets the world's moral standards. It alone decides who will be judged, who is a terrorist, what is legitimate resistance to occupation, who is a religious fanatic, and who is a legitimate target for assassination. That is how four Iraqi children, who laughed at the sight of a dead American soldier, merited being killed on the spot.

Ariel Sharon's government can thus cite a great authority for its own actions, and there are no visible limits to its plan to create a new security order in the Gaza Strip and in the territories in general. To the Israeli government, not crossing the red lines that America sets for its friends is more important than resolving the conflict with the Palestinians.

The ethical dilemmas in Israel over the targeted killings must make the American government laugh. After Falluja, Israel Defense Forces commanders can feel easier with their consciences - and especially with the consciences of those who refuse to carry out such operations. The one-ton bomb that was dropped on an apartment building in Gaza in order to assassinate Salah Shehadeh, which also killed 14 civilians, is almost like throwing candy compared to the number of bombs the Americans dropped on the houses of the residents of crowded Falluja. And there, too, incidentally, the Marines' commander said they did their best in order to avoid hurting civilians. "We brought to this action our experience from World War II, Korea, Vietnam ... The operation in Falluja will be remembered and studied for many years to come," he said.

What can the perplexed Israeli learn from this cynical comparison? Ariel Sharon can feel that he was simply persecuted in the Sabra and Chatila affair. Those who like to say that "the whole world is against us" will choose to talk about the double standards applied to America and Israel with regard to, for instance, Israel's destruction of the Jenin refugee camp. But anyone who has absolute, rather than relative, moral standards can conclude that we should not be learning from the Americans - not with regard to the consumption of junk food, not in the area of human rights, and not even in the area of democracy and freedom of expression.

The practical difference ought to be obvious. America is a superpower, which can evidently do what it pleases, and it can withdraw from the war in Iraq whenever it wants. Israel has no place to which to withdraw. It must remain here, in proximity to its neighbors - its partners in the land, the climate and the fate of its children. Therefore, every retaliation, revenge operation and assassination that we carry out has historical consequences going far beyond those of the cruel assault on Falluja. Operation Vigilant Resolve, in contrast, will become no more than a footnote in American military history - and perhaps a few Marines will even write a book about it.

0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:27 pm
What are you trying to say? That the explosion didn't merit an interruption? maybe so, maybe not. Question

"We have all noticed that the few stories we get from people who have served in or visited Iraq rarely match the sky-is-falling enthusiasm we get from our press."
Not me, as I've said before. The young men I know of don't speak of the war in glowing terms. perhaps it is soldiers such as those shown in pictures on another thread who think all is well?

"Some news reports called him ""revered spiritual leader."" Revered by whom?"
Could his status be equated with that of the Pope? because we'd for sure never hear the end of that.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:32 pm
I think the point of the story, more than the actual examples, is the ability of the press to deflect an issue or the real point of the story to something more consistent with their own agenda. Sort of like Hobitbob did with his post. Smile
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:34 pm
Really? I thought the purpose of my post was to poiint out that your favorite news sources are not quite telling the truth.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:36 pm
Bingo. To prevent any consideration of one point of view you posted something else perhaps to deflect the discussion. Which is the point of the original post.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:38 pm
Well foxy, since your article is pure bovine residu, like most things you post, I thought I should at least post a valid opinion piece to counter the stench of yours.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:40 pm
I'm sure the terrorists that do that to military briefings have a similar point of view.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:41 pm
We already know you are a terrorist sympathizer Hobitbob, you don't have to keep bragging about it.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:41 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I'm sure the terrorists that do that to military briefings have a similar point of view.

What are you babbling about?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:43 pm
McGentrix wrote:
We already know you are a terrorist sympathizer Hobitbob, you don't have to keep bragging about it.

Better a "terrorist sympathizer" than a supporter of imperialism, eh? But I'm sure your vast military experience has taught you that...oh, wait...you have none!
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:48 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Was that really called for?

OK, let me see if I can clarify something...

If the terrorists hate America because of our freedom...

...why is it that conservatives hate people who exercise their freedom?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:50 pm
PDiddie wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Was that really called for?

OK, let me see if I can clarify something...

If the terrorists hate America because of our freedom...

...why is it that conservatives hate people who exercise their freedom?

Ergo: conservatives are terrorists! Wink
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:51 pm
hobitbob wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Better a "terrorist sympathizer" than a supporter of imperialism, eh? But I'm sure your vast military experience has taught you that...oh, wait...you have none!

Oh, my! What a snappy come back! Why would I need a military background to recognize you for what you really are?

*edited to keep my membership*
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:53 pm
McGentrix, if ther eis anything any of us can do to help you get banned, just ask! Very Happy
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:54 pm
If you can show how Conservatives hate people who exercise their freedom, I'll listen.

Why is it that some cannot focus on the point of view expressed and debate it on its merits or lack thereof? Why do some consistently deflect the issue to promote their own unrelated agenda? Or perhaps they avoid having to deal with an issue or they just don't want any different point of view or any different information provided.

That after all is the thesis of the article heading this thread.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:55 pm
Unbelievable!!!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:55 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

Why is it that some cannot focus on the point of view expressed and debate it on its merits or lack thereof? Why do some consistently deflect the issue to promote their own unrelated agenda? Or perhaps they avoid having to deal with an issue or they just don't want any different point of view or any different information provided.

Don't know. Tell us why you do so and then we will understand.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:59 pm
I think its because some don't want their personal prejudices exposed maybe?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:59 pm
Or they don't want to risk anybody finding out the truth?
0 Replies