Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:02 pm
It has to be true. I saw it on TV. Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:04 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
It has to be true. I saw it on TV. Wink

I have to agree: I can see it printed black on white on my monitor... ... now.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:32 pm
And look how well the camouflage works. I'll post a picture of a guy in a ghillie suit below, and he will blend right into the background.

http://pages.zdnet.com/remingtonsniper/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/gulliesuit.jpg.w180h263.jpg

See? A blank space.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 01:43 pm
Were you going to attach the picture? I think yo forgot it. I see you left space for it, but no picture. Please fix.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:00 pm
The most visible part of him is his highly-polished shoe. Laughing
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:01 pm
Shoe?
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 02:09 pm
i am not famalar with how our snipers use cover, and conselment in MOUT ops, but would the sniper want to stay consieled? wouldn't that make it hard for a witness in the target area to ID them?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:07 pm
Quote:
The doctor rushes out to meet me: "Can you go to fetch a lady, she is pregnant and she is delivering the baby too soon?"

Azzam is driving, Ahmed in the middle directing him and me by the window, the visible foreigner, the passport. Something scatters across my hand, simultaneous with the crashing of a bullet through the ambulance, some plastic part dislodged, flying through the window.

We stop, turn off the siren, keep the blue light flashing, wait, eyes on the silhouettes of men in US marine uniforms on the corners of the buildings. Several shots come. We duck, get as low as possible and I can see tiny red lights whipping past the window, past my head. Some, it's hard to tell, are hitting the ambulance I start singing. What else do you do when someone's shooting at you? A tyre bursts with an enormous noise and a jerk of the vehicle.

I'm outraged. We're trying to get to a woman who's giving birth without any medical attention, without electricity, in a city under siege, in a clearly marked ambulance, and you're shooting at us. How dare you?

How dare you?

Azzam grabs the gear stick and gets the ambulance into reverse, another tyre bursting as we go over the ridge in the centre of the road , the sots still coming as we flee around the corner. I carry on singing. The wheels are scraping, burst rubber burning on the road.

The men run for a stretcher as we arrive and I shake my head. They spot the new bullet holes and run to see if we're OK. Is there any other way to get to her, I want to know. La, maaku tarieq. There is no other way. They say we did the right thing. They say they've fixed the ambulance four times already and they'll fix it again but the radiator's gone and the wheels are buckled and se's still at home in the dark giving birth alone. I let her down.

Source.

I guess because she's "left wing" she must have just invented all this.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:15 pm
She doesn't say the silhouetted Marines were doing the firing.

1. "I saw what looked like Marines."
2. "Someone shot at us."
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:26 pm
Quote:
We stop, turn off the siren, keep the blue light flashing, wait, eyes on the silhouettes of men in US marine uniforms on the corners of the buildings. Several shots come.

Quote:
in a clearly marked ambulance, and you're shooting at us.

What are you talking about?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 05:49 pm
Exactly.
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:13 pm
It is amazing to think that an ambulance driver who is being shot at is able to determine from a moving vehicle exactly who is shooting at her. I had problems determining where the rounds were coming from during a MOUT exercise, where all I had to risk was an annoying noise.

Are the US troops firing at marked medical items, I don't know, but I hope not. It is interesting who immediately thinks the worst of our troops, and who thinks the best.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:55 pm
Go, Jo!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:05 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
Yes I did. The result in inconclusive.

Of course not. If it said US forces were dying protecting them, you'd be posting them on every forum. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:10 pm
Wilso wrote:
Tarantulas wrote:
Yes I did. The result in inconclusive.

Of course not. If it said US forces were dying protecting them, you'd be posting them on every forum. Rolling Eyes

US forces ARE dying to protect Iraqis. So are the Aussies. Aren't they?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:12 pm
So far no Australian forces have been killed. And if we can get rid of the shrub's little lapdog come November, then the new PM has already announced his plans to bring the troops home.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:17 pm
How courageous. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:31 pm
Ah yes, it must be a matter of "courage". Sigh.

"Courage" means little if improperly applied, if Australia withdraws their troops it will be because they have decided it is not the proper use of their military and not because of lacking courage, despite the reductionist arguments to that effect.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:15 pm
Or it could be pandering for votes. Or it could be the idea that "if we just close our eyes maybe all the troubles will go away." Or it could be a leap onto the "we hate the US" bandwagon.

I believe the courage of the Operation Iraqi Freedom troops is being properly applied. I don't believe in walking away from the problem before it's solved. Pulling a "Spain" doesn't help anyone and actually hurts the fight against terrorism.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:17 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
Pulling a "Spain" doesn't help anyone and actually hurts the fight against terrorism.

Well, we are proud here in Europe that our democracy still works this way.

We try to fight terrorism legally, within our constitutions.
0 Replies