Does associations mean "associations with other people"?

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:23 pm

Context:

Thomas Edward Lawrence, CB, DSO (16 August 1888[5] – 19 May 1935), known professionally as T. E. Lawrence, was a British Army officer renowned especially for his liaison role during the Sinai and Palestine Campaign and the Arab Revolt against Ottoman Turkish rule of 1916–18. The breadth and variety of his activities and associations, and his ability to describe them vividly in writing, earned him international fame as Lawrence of Arabia, a title which was used for the 1962 film based on his World War I activities.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 455 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Setanta
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 04:29 am
@oristarA,
Although it could, in certain contexts, mean associations with organizations, in this case i am certain they mean associations with other people. I say this because T. E. Lawrence was not particularly known as a member of professional or fraternal organizations.
oristarA

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 10:00 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Although it could, in certain contexts, mean associations with organizations, in this case i am certain they mean associations with other people. I say this because T. E. Lawrence was not particularly known as a member of professional or fraternal organizations.

Have you ever read his work Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph, Set? His vivid language is still vivid today? I mean, only of old-fashioned vividness.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 10:03 am
@oristarA,
We still refer to other people we have business interests with as associates.
Setanta

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 11:35 am
@oristarA,
I read it a very long time ago, when i was in university, more than 40 years ago. All i remember is that i was bored.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 09:32 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

We still refer to other people we have business interests with as associates.

Not get you very well. "Other people who are associates"?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 02:19 am
@oristarA,
Business partners, people like that.
0 Replies