Is the phrase "A little more wiser" grammatically correct?

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:37 am
Hi,

I was just wondering whether the phrase "a little more wiser" (or any other -er adjective in replacement of wiser) is grammatically correct or redundant?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 9,241 • Replies: 45

Ragman

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 05:49 am
@keejeeduh,
The correct grammar would be: "A little wiser."
JTT

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 12:28 pm
@keejeeduh,
Something that is redundant can still be grammatical, Keejeeduh. It is grammatical.

"In conversation, adjectives are occasionally doubly marked for degree, carrying both inflectional and phraseology markers: ... ." (LGSWE)

Ragman could stand to be a little more wiser.

Ragman could stand to be a little bit more wiser.
McTag

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 12:34 pm
@JTT,

I think that's wrong.... it couldn't be wronger.
JTT

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 01:15 pm
@McTag,
You could be the most wrongiest prescriptivist everest, McTag.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 01:43 pm
In a formal situation, avoid it.

When talking to a crack whore with a fifth-grade education, or JTT, the sky's the limit.
hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 01:45 pm
@Ragman,
Or a little more wise.
It feels redundant. Wiser is explicitly 'more wise'. No one is 'less' wiser.
JTT

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:20 pm
@InfraBlue,
Infra: In a formal situation, avoid it.
:::::

Good advice, Infra. But then you get goofy, and within the space of two breaths, contradict yourself.

Infra: When talking to a crack whore with a fifth-grade education, or JTT, the sky's the limit.

Infra will now disappear.

Quote:

But there is no need to use terms like "bad grammar," "fractured syntax," and "incorrect usage" when referring to rural and Black dialects. Though I am no fan of "politically correct" euphemism (in which, according to the satire, "white woman" should be replaced by "melanin-impoverished person of gender"), using terms like "bad grammar" for "nonstandard" is both insulting and scientifically inaccurate.

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/media/1994_01_24_thenewrepublic.html

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 02:29 pm
@hingehead,
As mentioned, HH, redundant doesn't mean ungrammatical or not in use.
hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:06 pm
@JTT,
Never suggested it was, but it is tautology, and can affect user comprehension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tautology_(grammar)
JTT

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 03:16 pm
@hingehead,
HH: Never suggested it was, but it is tautology, and can affect user comprehension.
:::::::

Speaking and writing often affect user comprehension. That's why we have such collocations as "What do you mean?".

Look at how most everyone fled the English peeves threads when they were faced with actual language science. Even the Wabbit ducked into her den. Smile
Ragman

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 04:32 pm
@keejeeduh,
In this instance, DO NOT follow JTT's advice on this example of grammar.

"A little more wiser" is improper grammar, as well as illogical. The phrase should either be "a little wiser" OR "a little more wise" (awkward usage because it's redundant but not ungrammatical). Shame on JTT for supplying such poor info.

Wiser already states the degree of wisdom and, as such, should not have a modifier. (e.g. another bad grammar example..."more better".)
hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 04:37 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Speaking and writing often affect user comprehension.

More than not speaking and writing? :-)

Your collocation biz is fine in a conversation, but pointless with the written word, an author should endeavour to avoid making reader stumble over sentence meaning when trying to convey a story. Generally. IMO.
McTag

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 04:39 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Shame on JTT for supplying such poor info.

Commonsense often deserts him, sadly.
JTT

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 04:58 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman: In this instance, DO NOT follow JTT's advice on this example of grammar.

That is "the most unkindest cut of all", Ragman!

Ragman: "A little more wiser" is improper grammar ... .

Please explain how it is "improper grammar".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 05:13 pm
@hingehead,
jtt: Quote:
Speaking and writing often affect user comprehension.

HH: More than not speaking and writing? :-)

My point was, is, excuse my frankness, that your argument was devoid of meaning and substance, Hinge, but you insist on it again, below.

HH: Your collocation biz is fine in a conversation, but pointless with the written word,

Yes, I mentioned that in my reply to Infra. The issue isn't its possible use, it's an issue of its grammaticality.

HH: Your collocation biz is fine in a conversation, but pointless with the written word, an author should endeavour to avoid making reader stumble over sentence meaning when trying to convey a story. Generally. IMO.
----------

Are you saying that we shouldn't use "the most unkindest cut of all"?

Or "more strong," "more strange," and "more sweet"; "more fitter," "more corrupter," and "most poorest?

Do you think these would make a reader stumble?
JTT

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 05:20 pm
@McTag,
Okay, I give up, McTag. No one can possibly counter such an erudite delivery of incontrovertible proofs.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 06:34 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Are you saying that we shouldn't use "the most unkindest cut of all"?

Or "more strong," "more strange," and "more sweet"; "more fitter," "more corrupter," and "most poorest?

Do you think these would make a reader stumble?

Yes, IMO, the last three examples make my mind gag. The first three are OK. 'most unkindest' is communication fingernails down the blackboard of my soul. It makes me want to decapitate my head. Wink

I come from a web UX background with some quals in prof (tech and creative) writing, it colours my thinking and like I said it's all IMO. There are no real grammar police, just self-appointed vigilantes.
keejeeduh

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 07:22 pm
@keejeeduh,
Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer. I always thought "more wiser" is wrong but i got confused with "a little more”. It’s like someone is already wiser than he used to be, but needs to be a little more of it. But I’ll just avoid the phrase. Thanks again. Smile
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2014 09:46 am
@hingehead,
HH: Yes, IMO, the last three examples make my mind gag. The first three are OK. 'most unkindest' is communication fingernails down the blackboard of my soul. It makes me want to decapitate my head
-------------------

Don't you like Shakespeare, HH?

HH: Do you think these would make a reader stumble?

I think not at all but there is much in Shakespeare that does. This stumbling thing is another old canard.

Are we to always use the simplest vocabulary so no reader ever has pause? What of those situations where people know what was said but they don't know what was meant?