Is my friend trying to set me up with a co-worker?

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 11:33 am

Is my friend trying to set me up with a co-worker? Or am I over thinking things?
Where I work, I'll be start training in a new position. The girl who will be training me goes by the name of Taylor. I have only spoken to this Taylor once. My friend, Bridgitte, invited me over to her and her boyfriends house for brunch on Saturday. I said "will anybody else be there?" And she said "yeah, Taylor from work will be there. She's actually the one who will be training you next week." So, it will be just me, my friend/her boyfriend, and this other girl. Is there any possibility that this is an attempt to hook us up? Or am I just paranoid?

jespah

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 12:51 pm
@LTinkAspie20,
You're just paranoid until and unless you get any reason to believe this is anything but a garden variety social gathering. And right now, you have nothing to go on - so assume it's a regular social gathering and don't overthink it.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 01:18 pm
@LTinkAspie20,
I think it is wishful thinking on your part. I agree with what Jespah wrote.
contrex

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 01:33 pm
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

I think it is wishful thinking on your part. I agree with what Jespah wrote.

Me too. Misinterpreting this could be a very quick way to lose your job.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 01:42 pm
@LTinkAspie20,
LTinkAspie20 wrote:
Or am I just paranoid?

would it be a bad thing if someone was trying to set you up with someone else?

(I think you're overthinking it - but IMNSHO paranoid is a weird word to use in this situation.)
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:25 pm
@LTinkAspie20,
Your "friend" is trying to hook you up with your future co-worker/boss!!

I would question your "friend" about her long term plans and where you might fit in since clearly she is an evil genius bent on world domination.

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 02:31 pm
Why do you ASSUME that his is a "hook up"?

Why can't it just be "brunch"?
0 Replies

DarkCrow

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2014 10:54 pm
@LTinkAspie20,
I see it as a set up. As long as this person Taylor is not your direct report or you don't report to them, have fun. However, ask yourself if this will make working together difficult. Keep yourself in check. Be professional even at their home. Watch the alcohol consumption. Wear a tin hat...just sayin. Maybe the NSA is watching too. Smile
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2014 09:43 am
I'll repeat:
Quote:
An individual with AS has challenges understanding or predicting the consequences of his/her behavior on others

Navigating social Male/Female interaction in the workplace is tricky for you, but you seem to be aware of that and open to suggestions.

You might want to visit this site to get help with your interactions at work
http://www.wrongplanet.net/
0 Replies