Guys, if you are interested, please edit the message

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 08:02 am
The meaning of the message is clear, but it sounds a bit Chinglish.
One question: Did the author deliberately write "US Gov." as "Us Gov" which would sound as "Our Government"? Because the author spelt it right in closing of the petition: we think that US Gov do have the responsibility

The message:

Quote:
we petition the obama administration to:
We Ask Us Gov to Provide Refuge For Chinese Doctors and Nurses.

Chinese doctors and nurses are now under life threat. On average, nearly one doctor/nurse per-week was killed or badly hurt in China in recent years. Since 2014, cases of killing or hurting health workers happened almost every day.

The CN authority paid no attention on it. Even policemen in China refuse to protect our safety in most cases. The public are becoming desensitized to this kind of violence.

We ask US Gov to provide refuge to health workers in other countries, or to seek the way to interfere this kind of violence. As a member of World Health Organization, we think that US Gov do have the responsibility to do so.
Created: Mar 07, 2014

Link:
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/we-ask-us-gov-provide-refuge-chinese-doctors-and-nurses/DF6rqfPC

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,142 • Replies: 16
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
chai2

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 08:27 am
It should be US Gov DOES have the responsibility.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 09:26 am
@chai2,
.... because 'does' is the third person (singular and plural) present tense form of the word 'do'.
chai2

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 12:18 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
No it isn't.

Does is singular.

Do is plural.

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 01:38 pm
The message is profoundly Chinglish. Many missing articles and very eccentric capitalisation. Also, it does not make much sense in some places. E.g. 'since 2014' - it is 2014 now!

Do the authors really imagine it will do anything besides a. make them look ridiculous b. get them locked up in prison for inviting a foreign government to interfere in China's internal affairs?

Furthermore, considering the population of China, the attack rate on medical workers seems quite low.

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 02:05 pm
@chai2,
I must refrain from imbibing before noon,
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2014 12:00 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

The message is profoundly Chinglish. Many missing articles and very eccentric capitalisation. Also, it does not make much sense in some places. E.g. 'since 2014' - it is 2014 now!

Do the authors really imagine it will do anything besides a. make them look ridiculous b. get them locked up in prison for inviting a foreign government to interfere in China's internal affairs?

Furthermore, considering the population of China, the attack rate on medical workers seems quite low.

Do you understand what is the CN authority, Contrex? The author seems to refer to Chinese Government. I wonder whether "the CN authority" could have expressed that meaning clearly.

In addition, would you like to introduce something about the doctor-attacking rate in US or UK?
oristarA

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 09:21 am
@oristarA,
No one would like to say what is CN?
contrex

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 09:39 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

I am surprised that you cannot guess! Often the two letter code used in a country's Internet top-level domain is used unofficially in informal discourse as an abbreviation for that country. E.g. jp, uk, es, fr, and... cn.

oristarA

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 09:58 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

oristarA wrote:

I am surprised that you cannot guess! Often the two letter code used in a country's Internet top-level domain is used unofficially in informal discourse as an abbreviation for that country. E.g. jp, uk, es, fr, and... cn.

Of course I guessed it right at the first sight. I was just wondering if the use of CN here is acceptable in formal English.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 11:22 am
No, CN is not clear, Gov is not the normal abbrevialtion for "Government". More usually "govt." or "gov't". If you're going to present aa petition, the language should be more formal. Contrex is right about missing articles and strange usages.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 11:31 am
Quote:
We ask US Gov to provide refuge to health workers in other countries, or to seek the way to interfere this kind of violence. As a member of World Health Organization, we think that US Gov do have the responsibility to do so.
Created: Mar 07, 2014

Is this asking the US to provde refuges in some other country? Not something we can do. If not, it's misphrased. "We ask the U.S. Government to provide refuge for health workers from other countries, particularly China, or to seek a way to stop this kind of violence in other countries. We believe that, since the US Government is a member of the World Health Organization, it has a responsibility to do so.

As someone said above, this is an internal matter in China, which wee can't relly interfere with. The government could protest to China but that's about all we could do. Usually if people seek asylum, they either have to be on US soil or at some official overseas branch of the gov't, like an embassy, I think.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 01:16 pm
Seems like a silly petition. The attacks on medical staff are not persecution by the government or other groups such as terrorists. All countries have problems with hospital staff getting assaulted. Emergency rooms are where you often find sick, distressed, crazy, drunk and drug using people. "Nearly one every week" is woefully imprecise and, on the face of it, not very high for a country with a population of 1,350 million. You can't claim asylum for being in slight danger of being hurt or an even slighter danger of being killed. You might as well seek asylum because of smog or traffic accidents. I am sure Americans would say the USA is not a magic haven for everyone in the world who is pissed off about something.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 03:40 pm
If some Chinese people think that they can go crying to the USA about everything they don't like in their homeland, does that not suggest they have an inferiority complex about their own country?
JTT

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 03:59 pm
@contrex,
C: ... does that not suggest they have an inferiority complex about their own country?

Or that they too have been snowed under by the most successful propaganda system the world has ever known.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 08:31 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

If some Chinese people think that they can go crying to the USA about everything they don't like in their homeland, does that not suggest they have an inferiority complex about their own country?

That is obvious.
I know some of them hope US will liberate their country and they will serve as guides for American troops to destroy the tyranny.
JTT

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 09:10 pm
@oristarA,
Ori: I know some of them hope US will liberate their country and they will serve as guides for American troops to destroy the tyranny.
------------
False hopes, Ori. Millions of Chinese would die at the hands of the USA. Besides the USA only picks on the poor and the weak, countries they can bully.
0 Replies