Congratulations, House Republicans!

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 10:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
Thay were nationwide, federal & state; how much more does obama want??????
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 10:16 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I did not ask anything about what Obama wants...I asked about George's statement.

And since Obama was elected twice...was that not also an "increasingly evident political trend?"

And since even in the House elections...MORE people voted for Democrats than Republicans...is that not also an "increasingly evident political trend?"
revelette2

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 10:49 am
@Frank Apisa,
Since less people voted in the midterms election in 40 years, it is a stretch to say the least, the midterms represent an "increasing obvious trend."

George always trots out these grandiose pronouncements as though his statements are irrefutable, more often than not, without an ounce of any proof.

I think the last midterm election merely represents apathy on the part of democrats and a dislike of Obama on the part of those who actually voted.
parados

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:05 am
@OmSigDAVID,
One election does not a trend make. The election previously the Dems picked up seats everywhere. The election prior to that the GOP picked up seats. It is not a trend but just a bounce with the most likely outcome a bounce back the other way next election. How the GOP governs will be the only thing that dictates how big the bounce will be the other way.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:09 am
@parados,
Quote:
How the GOP governs will be the only thing that dictates how big the bounce will be the other way.

There is no way they can do worse. And how did Bob get your picture?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:13 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Since less people voted in the midterms election in 40 years, it is a stretch to say the least, the midterms represent an "increasing obvious trend."

George always trots out these grandiose pronouncements as though his statements are irrefutable, more often than not, without an ounce of any proof.

I think the last midterm election merely represents apathy on the part of democrats and a dislike of Obama on the part of those who actually voted.

I thought this was interesting, Revelette. Done before the election...but pretty much on. Hell of an "increasingly obvious trend!"

https://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/silver-feature-wave-1-1.png?w=800
coldjoint

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Hell of an "increasingly obvious trend!"

Do you have a chart for handouts, and their increase?
georgeob1

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:21 am
@parados,
Perhaps some of you didn't noitice, but after the 2008 presidential election the Democrats had strong majorities in both houses of Congress and a then very popular new president who had to a remarkable degree captured the aspirations of many people with his (vacuous it turned out) mantra of hope and change.

In the next election the Democrats lost a commanding majority in the House of Representatives and saw their Majority in the Senate fall to a very narrow level (narrow enought to prompt them to change the rules in the Senate for confirming appointees). In the most recent election the Democrat minority in the House of Representatives grew even smaller and, more significantly, they lost their majority in the Senate, in both cases by much larger margins that they, and most unbiased forecasters, had predicted.

I suppose if one is in the grip of serious denial, the recent election can be seen as a single event with no antecedant. However, the obvious facts testify otherwise.

Beyond that. the self absorption of the self-appointed progressive "elite" and their contempt for both our political traditions and the people whose lives they presume to guide appears to have become far more evident in the public perception. I can't prove this latter point, but my strong impression is that their political support is unraveling even in some formerly reliable quarters. Several of the recent Senate election outcomes are strongly suggestive of this.

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:27 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Perhaps some of you didn't noitice, but after the 2008 presidential election the Democrats had strong majorities in both houses of Congress and a then very popular new president who had to a remarkable degree captured the aspirations of many people with his (vacuous it turned out) mantra of hope and change.

In the next election the Democrats lost a commanding majority in the House of Representatives and saw their Majority in the Senate fall to a very narrow level (narrow enought to prompt them to change the rules in the Senate for confirming appointees). In the most recent election the Democrat minority in the House of Representatives grew even smaller and, more significantly, they lost their majority in the Senate, in both cases by much larger margins that they, and most unbiased forecasters, had predicted.

I suppose if one is in the grip of serious denial, the recent election can be seen as a single event with no antecedant. However, the obvious facts testify otherwise.

Beyond that. the self absorption of the self-appointed progressive "elite" and their contempt for both our political traditions and the people whose lives they presume to guide appears to have become far more evident in the public perception. I can't prove this latter point, but my strong impression is that their political support is unraveling even in some formerly reliable quarters.

If it is helpful for your happiness to consider what has happened during the last few years to be an "increasingly obvious trend"...go for it, George. If you were not so invested in the idea, you would see it as a humorously naive notion.

But as I said...go for it! Although it might make the pain you almost certainly will feel after the next election seem even worse.

0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:32 am
@georgeob1,
You seem to have skipped an election in your tale.

The increases in seats held were as follows - 2008 was Dem, 2010 - GOP, 2012 - Dem, 2014 - GOP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_divisions_of_United_States_Congresses

I would say it's you that is in the grip of serious denial.
In 2016, we can expect the GOP to lose control of the Senate simply based on seats up for election. The GOP will probably retain control of the House but have fewer seats. A wave election would lose the GOP the House but that would require the GOP really screw up.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:33 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

I did not ask anything about what Obama wants...I asked about George's statement.

And since Obama was elected twice...was that not also an "increasingly evident political trend?"

And since even in the House elections...MORE people voted for Democrats than Republicans...is that not also an "increasingly evident political trend?"

Let 's CONTINUE the trend of the LAST Election
into several more of them!

David
coldjoint

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:42 am
@parados,
Quote:

I would ask if you have a time machine? Or has Gruber told you the results in 2016.

All the running of progressive lips show your fears. And your condescending attitude is getting older everyday.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 11:44 am
@parados,
Quote:

I would ask if you have a time machine? Or has Gruber told you the results in 2016.

All the running of progressive lips show their fears. And your condescending attitude is getting older everyday.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 12:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Let 's CONTINUE the trend of the LAST Election
into several more of them!

David

You are certainly allowed to hope for that.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 02:18 pm
@georgeob1,
Don't you wish.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 02:19 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
And very low turnout.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 02:20 pm
@coldjoint,
Nice try. Its you and you know it. Don't you wonder why EVERYBODY calls you, "Asshole"?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 02:22 pm
@coldjoint,
Do you have brain damage? What a dumb question, you do.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 02:23 pm
http://www.imgur.com/DxDav4M.jpeg
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2014 02:50 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Excellent! However, they live by god's words, "love thy neighbor as thyself."

Throw them to the wolves. Isn't the christian country (80%) we call the US wunnerful?