mac11

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 08:23 am
Since you asked Zyzzy, your score is not yet correct on the list. As Lola explained a couple of pages ago (see quote below) your current score is 13, and any points you earn in the next round will be doubled. So 26 is not the correct score for you.

Lola wrote:
The 1 point rule means that anyone with exactly 13 points can double the score he/she receives on the next round. So if I had 13 points and on the next round I got 4 points, then it would be 8 points instead. If I got 0 on the next round, I'd get 0 (as I usually do lately.) That's the way I understand it and the way I've always played it. I hope this is clear.
0 Replies

ZYZZYGOGUE

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 12:41 pm
THANK YOU FOR CLARIFYING
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 05:53 pm
I have a seven quick responses so far. Thank you.

So now I'm confused again. A round consists of the activities (posting and voting) associated with one Dasher's word. So the next round is the Juglandin Round. I inferred, perhaps incorrectly, that a game consists of however many rounds it takes for someone to get to or through the 13 point mark, with the doubling bonus kicking in if the "winner" lands on exactly 13.
Now I seem to be hearing, from macsm's comment, that the game is not over. That would explain why there were the discussions about adjusting the scores at the end of the last round. I assumed that the game was over and we were all going to be starting over at -0- with this new round.
I look to Judge Lola for a ruling but, if I may address the court, it took us about six rounds, forty-three pages and two or three months before a player got to 13 points. Your honor, I feel that 13 points is an appropriate end-point. If there is no end-point, or if the end-point is set too high, there is no incentive for new players who are interested in the competitive aspect of the game to join. They would stand no chance of ever catching up with the pack. And loyal players who had regularly contributed but who had the misfortune of falling far behind might be discouraged from continuing to participate. I rest.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 06:01 pm
Ah! I had missed that aspect, that you meant that everyone would re-start at 0. That does make sense to me.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 07:07 pm
Me too.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 08:07 pm
In the real Balderdash the game goes to 26 points. But the real game is played with all the players in the room in real time. So it goes much faster. I personally prefer to go to 26 because the score is really only a small part of the fun. Any new comer, for example could beat me without even trying. But I do understand rjb because I used to play the challenge ladder in racquetball. And it drove me crazy when they failed to put my name at the top of the list before I lost again and was in second place. But in spite of this, I vote for 26, but I will bend to the will of the other players. If we're too divided on the question, I'll decide.
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 06:39 am
I vote for 13 althoguh its so much fun that if the majority want 26 I'm happy to go with that too !
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 06:58 am
I'll go either way, although 26 might take a long time.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 08:40 am
I'll vote for 13. (If the game picks up speed in the future, we could always change it again.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:01 am
I agree with macsm11's point... it's definitely on the slow side now, but no reason we can't do the 26 thing if it gets zippy.
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:10 am
Who hasn't posted a bluff definition for Juglandin yet?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 03:07 pm
I'll vote for 13. Using this forum, it will provide quicker results. As it is, the game seems unending.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 03:10 pm
Ok 13 it is. Unless I hear strong objections. :-)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 04:03 pm
Hi...I have received bluffs from: Bibliophile, Chesire, Equus, Hiama, Jespah, Lola, Macsm, Peace & Love and Zyzzygogue.
And, oh yes, there was the one from Felix Noir that struck me as being a classic entry.

I did receive one pm that didn't seem to have any message in it.
So if your name isn't on the list above and you thought you submitted, please try again.

I'm still waiting to hear from, amongst regular players, LarryBS, Littlek, Sozobe, Taffy and 1st Thought. I sent a pm to Jose trying to cajole him into playing.

And I note, as I am wont to do, that we are always trolling for new participants. If someone has been watching this game and needs more information, feel free to post or pm one of us.
0 Replies

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 08:12 am
RJB: when are you hoping to display the bluff defintions?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 03:01 pm
I'm working on it, Biblio. We have a couple of more veteran players to hear from. I just pm'd them. A weekend, particularly a beautiful spring weekend in many places, along with the war, may have distracted some folks. Be patient.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 09:14 pm
Hey, you word people, come along and have some grammar fun.

http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5548&start=10
0 Replies

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 08:53 am
Thanks Lola. I've been there and left my mark.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 03:59 pm
So here are 18 definitions of JUGLANDIN:

1) (pronounced Yuglandin). One of the small islands midway between Sweden and Finland;

2) A crystalline highly unsaturated fatty acid;

3) A fragrant tropical flower;

4) Snake hormone responsible for venom production;

5) Fruit-flavored juice excreted from the jujube tree;

6) Where the pussy cats keep their milk;

7) An extractive matter from the shucks of the walnut used as black hair dye;

8) Of or relating to a small gland found in marsupials;

9) A safety zone for circus performers;

10) In Norse mythology a land of eternal youth;

11) U-shaped gouge used by a wainwright;

12) A blood thinning agent;

13) Street talk among cats asking if one has been neutered,
"Ju Gland In?"

14) A pubescent boy;

15) The extract from a "NUT-CASE;"

16) Antiquated term for Africa;

17) Obscure Scandinavian dialect currently spoken by about 1000 people;

18) The place on a cat's neck that most needs scratching.

Good Luck!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 04:41 pm
Gonna go with 11.
0 Replies