Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 09:25 am
k: are you referring to your private life or this game? Cool
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 09:28 am
Congrats Zyz!

How's this doubling thing work? (Have become quickly hooked, but don't know much about the game...)
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 11:11 am
I don't remember anything about score doubling? I thought when you hit a certain number (13?) you got 2 extra points or something, but not doubling (not that it really matters 'cause the game's the thing and not the score).

I also don't see the correct answers- Are they posted and I'm not able to see them for some reason?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 05:27 pm
YIKES!!! Thank you, Equus, for reminding me to post the answers. They are listed with the author's name first and the names of the guessers below.

Firstthought's definition is very close--do any of the great wordsmiths in this group think it is close enough to earn firstthought an extra 3 points? The more I think about it, the more I think he should get the points. Any arguments? If I don't hear any objections, I'll give him the 3 points by tomorrow.

1. jespah: STICHOMANCY A psychic phenomenon wherein a person can move objects using nothing but concentrated brain waves. 0 guesses.

2. Equus: STICHOMANCY: Fortune telling by reading tea leaves.
jespah

3. macsm11: Creating a magical spell by weaving or sewing.
Sozobe

4. HIAMA: The predicted effect of acclimatisation to desalination of the Sea Cucumber Sticho. o guesses.

5. Bibliophile: Secret form of witchcraft practised in the early 17th Century. 0 guesses.

6. Zyzzygogue: GRAVE ROBBERY.
realjohnboy; Lola

7. P&L: Lack of inspiration. 0 guesses.

8. LarryBS: Having crossed eyes. 0 guesses

9. Littlek: STICHOMANCY - The movement of viral cells. 0 guesses.

10. Lola: The art of book binding. 0 guesses.

11. Cheshire: my life in the alley. 0 guesses.

12. Diane: Old legend of seamstress with a magic needle. 0 guesses.

13. Real definition: Practice of seeking anwers to the great metaphysical questions, as well as trying to gain insight into the meaning of existance and reality, by reading random passages from a book such as the bible or the I Ching.
macsm11; LarryBS; littlek; firstthought; bibliophile; zyzzygogue

14. Felix: The feeling you get before throwing up a furball.
Taffy la Blanc; Cheshire

15. realjohnboy: A baseline for measuring eye movement irregularities.
P&L;

16. Taffy: "Felines of ancient times prophesying." 0 guesses.

17. firstthought: "Symbolic Divination by Chance."
equus; hiama;
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 06:25 pm
Thanks from all of us, Diane, for doing a fine job as Dasher.

Many of the players really don't care about the scorekeeping; others of us are pretty competitive. For those in the latter camp, I agree FirstThoughts definition was pretty close, so he/she gets 3 points instead of the 2 points for fooling Equus & Hiama, leaving First with 10 instead of 9 points. Equus and Hiama, I assume, would have chosen the "official" correct answer instead, giving Equus a balance of 8 points and Hiama 2.

Way back on page one is this scoring rule: "A player who reaches exactly 13 points receives a double score for the next round." I don't know what that is supposed to mean; I think it means that the winner gets to start the next game with a running jump.

Congratulations Zzy on racking up a lot of points in a hurry. I suggest that you decide on the interpretation of the 13-point rule.
Do you get a little bonus or should we all start out at zero?

And who is going to be the first dasher in this new game?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 06:48 pm
The 1 point rule means that anyone with exactly 13 points can double the score he/she receives on the next round. So if I had 13 points and on the next round I got 4 points, then it would be 8 points instead. If I got 0 on the next round, I'd get 0 (as I usually do lately.) That's the way I understand it and the way I've always played it. I hope this is clear.

Thanks Diane for being dasher. Very well done. Whose next?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:31 pm
Since realjohnboy was kind enough to respond with an affirmation of firstthought's correct definition, I have changed the scores of firstthought, equus, hiama and zyzzygogue accordingly.

Thanks to Lola for clarifying the 13 point rule; it must have been a senior moment that made me think that once on abuzz, someone reaching 13 points automatically received a score of 26.

BTW, littlek, sweetie, I'm glad you scored, but it would have been so much more fun for you if it hadn't been on balderdash. LOL

Hopefully, these scores are correct.

sozobe.............. 11
realjohnboy....... 10 + 1=11
Bib.................... 9 + 2=11
zyzzygogue...... 9 + 4=13
Diane...............8
LarryBS............ 8 + 2=10
macsm............. 8 + 3=11
PaL..................6
Equus............... 6 + 2=8
firstthought...... 5 + 5=10
Lola.................. 4
Felix Noir.......... 4 + 2=6
Taffy LeBlanc.... 4
jespah.............. 3
Cheshire........... 3
hiama............... 2
little k............... 0 + 2=2
Jose Cuervo...... 0
dlowan.............. 5
Chatoyant......... 4
Craven.............. 2
Swimpy............. 1
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:33 pm
Bibliophile the BibleGuru wrote:
k: are you referring to your private life or this game? Cool

Grrrr.

Et tu, Diane....? sigh.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:35 pm
Don't y'all think Lola should get points for being the creator? I need points for something and it doesn't appear I'm going to get any the honest way.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:37 pm
Oh my yes, Our Creator deserves to have her score magically tripled, don't you think? Very Happy
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 10:24 pm
Well, thank you macsm11. A little appreciation in the form of triple points would be welcome.

Very Happy Laughing
0 Replies

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 10:32 am
A small comment about firstthought's three points award:

After Rule 6 there is an IMPORTANT note section which states, "If the dasher receives an answer from a player which is similar or very close to the correct meaning, he or she should not list this player's answer. Rather, the dasher should put the answer aside, automatically award 3 points to this player, listing the player's answer only after the round is over. That round will be played as usual (with one less answer), but the player who wrote the similar answer does not take part in the voting."

Because definition 17 was posted, Equus and Hiama have voted for it, and subsequently lost the potential for points - if it stays then Equus and Hiama are entitled to three points each for guessing correctly. If it should be removed from the game then Firstthought should be deducted two points for the guesses made by Equus and Hiama for definition 17.

In the interests of fairness, and in keeping with the rules of the game, a balanced decision should be made on this point. I understand that this oversight was only detected AFTER the definitions were posted, and this was unavoidable.

I was intrigued by zyzzygogue's comments when he said, "number 17 is close" - I guess he knew something about the precise answer that no one else could see.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:46 pm
I think we should play by the rules of the game. Anytime the dasher has made a mistake before (and I've certainly made my share of dasher mistakes) we've made up for it by giving the players involved their points. If in doubt, we've been generous. I think firstthought's definition should stay and he should get the 3 points he deserves for guessing the correct answer, but not the two points from Equus and HIAMA. Equus and HIAMA should each get 2 points for guessing the correct answer. That's my suggestion, anyone else have another idea?

And of course, I also think I should get twelve points for being the creator. Thank you Mac for agreeing with me.

Laughing
0 Replies

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:55 pm
The beauty about rules is that they can be amended, added to, or removed. Perhaps you could make a new rule to allow for this recent scenario, Lola.

I think it's only fair that Equus and Hiama should not be penalised in this matter.

You can have some of my points, Lola, anytime, anytime... :wink:
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:00 pm
What nice people you all are and so discerning !
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:09 pm
Here are the corrected scores. Mea culpa for not catching the similarity of firstthought's answer in time to remove it from the posted definitions. Oy.

Thanks to all for your help in arriving at the correct scores.

Firstthought had 5 points; I took away the four points given for two correct answers and awarded him 3 for a definition very close to the correct definition. His score went from 9 to 8.

Equus' definition got one guess; plus, he chose firstthought's correct definition, giving him 3 pts for this game and a total of 9pts.

Hiama's definition had no guesses; he got 2 pts for guessing firstthought's definition, adding up to a total of 3pts.

Now I plan to go to a quiet place and engage in a little stichomancy--stopping for a glass of wine on the way. You're all invited to join me if you like.

sozobe.............. 11
realjohnboy....... 10 + 1=11
Bib.................... 9 + 2=11
zyzzygogue...... 9 + 4=13 double to 26
Diane...............8
LarryBS............ 8 + 2=10
macsm............. 8 + 3=11
PaL..................6
Equus............... 6 + 3=9
firstthought...... 5 + 3=8

Lola.................. 4 (Total is 16 due to the 12 honorary points as creator)

Felix Noir.......... 4 + 2=6
Taffy LeBlanc.... 4
jespah.............. 3
Cheshire........... 3
hiama............... 1 + 2=3
little k............... 0 + 2=2
Jose Cuervo...... 0
dlowan.............. 5
Chatoyant......... 4
Craven.............. 2
Swimpy............. 1
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:37 pm
Now, now folks. It seems to me we are picking nits here. Zzygogue got to 13 and I haven't seen any proposed adjustment to anyone else's score that would deprive him of victory in this
game. Several others of us got to double digits...and then there is Litlek.
I understand the doubling rule now, I think. Zzy in the next round will start out at -0- along with the rest of us but will get any points he earns in the first round of the next game doubled.
I'm doomed to be pretty busy in April...and I think we may need some relief from what may be a very stress filled weekend.
Accordingly, I'm willing to be Dasher again unless someone else is eager for the (increasingly difficult) job.

The New Word My Lawyer & I Selected: JUGLANDIN
Good luck to us all. -johnboy-
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 03:59 pm
Stop press** Latest in tonight-Juglandin safe and sound in sea of tranquility-message ends.***
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 05:35 pm
We're starting a new round in a new game of Balderdash. Here is how it works. The leader (called Dasher), picks some obscure word and posts it here. The word this time is:

JUGLANDIN

Players in this part of the game are asked to send the Dasher via Private Mail their "definition" of the word. (No fair looking it up; that defeats the whole fun of the game; although if you do happen to know the meaning, that's cool). The idea is to come up with a bluff definition that might fool other players in the second stage of the game.
We've got about 15-odd participants right now; always looking for more.
Please join us if you are so inclined by sending me your definition.
---realjohnboy; Dasher for JUGLANDIN
0 Replies

ZYZZYGOGUE

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 06:31 am
DO MY POINTS GET DOUBLED IN THIS ROUND ONLY
0 Replies