Understanding the rules I am not
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 05:40 pm
Snap.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 02:04 am
What is unclear about the first page of the game?

The Dasher chooses a rare word and posts it, as I have done with GANTLOPE. Normally, if someone knows the word, it is considered gentlemanly or ladylike not to play; nor to post the real definition on the thread.

You look at the word, think up a possible definition for it (hereinafter called a 'bluff'), and then pm the Dasher (in this case, me) with your definition, written in an approximation to dictionary style for authenticity.

When I have a number of bluffs I post them all in random order, together with the real definition, and then punters choose the definition that they think is the real one. On occasion, they vote for the definition they like best, even though it is probably a bluff.

There is a complicated points system which needn't concern you at this stage.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 04:13 am
I think bluff number three should be in your PM box by now...
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 04:46 am
Excellent, I'm getting some wonderful bluffs - keep up the good work and I can post by the weekend.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 05:42 am
Clary wrote-

Quote:
When I have a number of bluffs I post them all in random order, together with the real definition, and then punters choose the definition that they think is the real one.

That's unclear to me.

What is unclear about fragrant Lola's rules is why make it competitive when it's really just fun. If players don't know the word there is a very small chance of them getting it right. Almost infinitessimal. If they do know the word, as I do in this case, they can still have their fun with a bluff. All replies are therfore bluffs. Who would wish to be ungentlemanly under these circumstances and not playing at all is definitely that.

As I said once before, to howls of derision, the winner should be declared on the wit of the bluff. It's like Setanta's silliness game with a judge.

You're the judge Clary, as is right and proper, so that the next dasher is in your gift. I trust you will exercise such a privilege responsibly.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 05:50 am
Personally, I think a little 'needle' in the game makes it more fun. People are more inclined to play, and are curious to know which is the real definition. The scores are immaterial, of course, but IMHO the person who posts the most credible bluff should be applauded - not the one with the most outlandish, as that is properly dealt with in the silliness thread. Guessing the right one may be random but then, it has the joy of a lottery.

Any other comments from other players on this?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 06:12 am
Surely all bluffs are "outlandish". There can be no credible bluff. Its incredibility is its charm. Like an ink-blot test where the patient can justifiably accuse the psychologist of being the sex maniac for showing him all these dirty pictures.

There is no joy in the lottery. It's a London money pump out of the provinces. And run by feminists who disburse their grants to approved organisations.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 04:40 pm
By requiring PM's to play, you are excluding over 95% of members who for one reason or another are excluded from such facilities. You could put the word up together with alternatives and let players choose which is correct.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 02:16 am
There is only a small set of players anyways, Tryagain.
I have no clue what this word means, and I would love to find this out.
Now, together with the 'regular' bluffs, there are also some who post absolute treasures. Such as Equus apparently did with his own word, drapetomania. I figured his claim that it was 'the love of fruit pits' was
a bit far fetched, but it was absolutely delightful, and so it got my vote.

See, a game is defined by the rules, but you get to define what you want to get out of playing it. I don't play to win, I play for the fun of it.
Besides, it's quite hard to factor in what definition is more 'witty' then the others, really. By what criterion should the 'wittiness' be measured?

I think you'll find approx. halfway this thread a serious discussion about the means of communication, which obviously needs to be private. It was decided to use the PM system, so, unless you can suggest a valid alternative...
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 02:25 am
It's true, the pm system has tightened up over the years. My email address is in my profile, you can contact me direct. I'm not proud.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 05:49 pm
You would say that wouldn't you seeing as pride is the deadliest of the Seven Deadly Sins.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 01:02 am
I am not angry with spendius for his cutting remarks. Smile

However, here is GANTLOPE in all its glory:

GANTLOPE

1 a decorative fringe or streamer hanging from a glove

2 a ritual dance performed by Bantu tribes in Southern Africa; its peculiar name is derived from the animal the dance is styled upon (the springbok antelope)

3 a gait between a trot and a canter developed in the racing ponies of central Asia

4 nautical term describing deck space immediately belwot the poop deck on a sailing boat

5 a race which a criminal was sentenced to run, in the navy or army, for any heinous offence

6 the leather stirrup on the horse of a gaucho

7 a moon of Jupiter, named after the mother of Atlas

8 a system progress chart for a project not subject to the exigencies of market forces, and thus able to operate an equal opportunities recruitment policy approved by the National Lottery and the Guardian

9 material formed to cover the hand as a protective measure
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 07:00 am
Going with #5.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 07:43 am
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 10:57 am
Yeah, I'm racing alongside jespah there....
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 08:17 am
After discussing the matter further with the guys down at the marina, I now go with #4
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 08:50 am
I'm going #4
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 10:31 am
These are all very possible answers (especially my bluff). I'll choose #1 as my wrong answer.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 10:50 am
I am sure Steve cannot be right, put me down for $5 on #6
0 Replies