Equus

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 10:56 am
I thought I knew this one ahead of time, but I appear to be mistaken. That being the case, I choose to be wrong with #10.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:05 am
Just getting them onto this page. Off to ponder! ...

(1) the ribbon on the back of a fox hunter's hat, worn in an up position until the first kill, then worn down thereafter.
(2) a cocktail consisting of 3 parts gin,. 1 part vodka, 1 part Turkish raki, 1 part Greek ouzo, 7 parts Irish cream; also called Sick Bucket.
(3) a colloquial term for apostrophe.
(4) an elongated cylindrical insect up to 120 mm long. Adult insects, sometimes known as "thunder flies" have a pair of flexible wings fringed with short, bristly curls. The normal pink colouration darkens to deep red during mating season. Though generally rural it has infested urban areas in modern time. The bangtail has mouth parts which are adapted to pierce animal tissue superficially and to extract useful nutrient. It causes much damage when infestations take place and these can transmit, indirectly, other diseases. It is capable of migrating long distances on thermals before settling on suitable hosts.
(5) a mustang or wild horse.
(6) a southern US term used by tow-truck drivers to desrcibe a rear-end car wreck.
(7) slang word for a beaver; from the NW of the US.
(8) a 1928 Auburn Motorcar Company, Limited Edition in canary yellow with a B12 engine.. The rear was a flat, tappered trunk, or boot, that was hinged from the bottom with a side latch, as differentiated from the "Boat Tail." It was commonly although incorrectly referred to as the "Speedster."
(9) a popular hair style of the 1950's'
(10) slang term for a beaver, based on their slapping their tails on the water to warn of danger.
(11) at certain times, female cats bang their tails in anticipation. Love, sweet love, is in the air at those special and particularly noisy times.
(12) a look-alike; doppelanger.
(13) rare eastern firefly - snaps, crackles and pops.
(14) a possum saugage often served in small roadside diners in the South.
(15) the process of bending pigs tails in the roundup, so that each pig is counted only once.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:49 am
I'll pick 5, buckaroo.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 11:55 am
Y'know, maybe Equus has something ... if he THOUGHT he knew...Hmmmmm.

Going out on a limb with #5
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:20 pm
I'll go along with the crowd and pick #5, thanks.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 01:51 pm
Yall are uncharacteristically fast. Permit me to say thank you. If I can hear from ehbeth and lola and dys, I can put this puppy to sleep and someone else can start a new game before the weekend.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 06:09 pm
a wise woman follows the devriesj trail

# 5
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 06:22 pm
What?! Embarrassed You are TOO kind. Don't blame me if we 'lose'?!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 08:56 pm
(1)
0 Replies

Upintheairjrbird

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2005 09:51 pm
I think it is 15, poor little piggies
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 11:04 am
Welcome to a2k Upintheairjrbird! (Can I just call you 'jrbird'? - p.s. Is that from the song?)
0 Replies

Upintheairjrbird

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 06:17 pm
Thanks devriesj,

Yes it is from the song, and I don't care what friends call me as long as they don't call me LATE!
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Thu 7 Jul, 2005 06:21 pm
You're welcome!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:07 am
JB-

How about a coda where we all have to guess who sent which definition?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:01 pm
Good evening, y'all. My pm to Lola sent about 48 hours ago remains unopened. Regretably, we are going to move on without her.

I tucked the correct definition in between two longer bluffs, hoping that you might miss it. Sigh, it didn't work.
#5 (a mustang or wild horse) was correctly guessed by justthefax, ehbeth, deviesj, jespah, clary and george. Six correct entries.
#1 (a fox-hunter's ribbon) made a fashion statement to Dys (an oxymoron if there ever was one). It was posted by equus.
#3 was panzade's choice. It was jespah's entry. Y'all recall it's a term for apostrophes.
#6 (a redneck tow-truck driver slang term) dragged away diane. That came from johnboy, the resident redneck.
#9 (a popular hair style) looked nice to spendious. That bluff was by lola.
#10 (beaver-tails slapping by george) struck equus as being plausible.
#11 got stardust excited. (felix's thing about female cats).
#15 (pigstails-which I think should be spelled pigtails and has nothing to do with the tail of a pig, btw-) for some reason interested felix and also caught jrbird. It came from justthefax.

Thanks for joining us, jrbird. I hope you will continue to play.
More in just a minute. -rjb-
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 03:42 pm
If yall want to keep score, here is where we are (you can see the scoring rules back on page 1). In this round, the folks who guessed the correct answer each get 2 points and anyone who posted a bluff that got selected gets 1 point for each person they fooled.
At the moment, as I see it:
-----justthefax is riding high with 4
-----jespah and george have 3 each
-----ehbeth, deviesj and clary each have 2
-----lola, johnboy, equus and felix are at 1
-----panzade, spendius, diane, dys, stardust and jrbird didn't score in this round, but there is always the next round.

I appreciate yall's participation: 14 bluffs posted and 16 votes. I hope that I have laid the ground work for the next Dasher who steps forward. (Who will that be?) Thanks.

(ps to spendus: the coda you suggested would be amusing, but - trust me on this- the Dasher's job is already tough. In the first phase he/she has to beg, often shamelessly, to get folks to submit bluffs. Johnboy has probably worn out his welcome with some on A2K. And then, in the second phase, The Dasher has to nag to get people to remember to vote. It aint easy, but it is, in a perverse way, kind of fun.)

Johnboy hops on a wild mustang. He turns his baseball cap around backward, and like the infamous doppelanger, he disappears.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 07:08 pm
Thanks! Who was that masked man?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 03:19 pm
Thud.

Johnboy did his duty. Time for someone else to step forward.
0 Replies

Justthefax

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 03:32 pm
I offer a word

CONCATENATE

Stardust said she likes any word that has CAT in it.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 07:41 am
sorry guys..........I was buried, covered over my head with an article with a deadline a week past......but it's all done now. And I'm quite pleased with the result. I had not a moment to do another thing, and then I had to clean the house and blah blah blah.
0 Replies