COUP IN KYIV?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 06:41 am
@spendius,
There's also downright lies, saying the UK did nothing in the early stages of the war.The Battle Of The River Plate and British action defending Norway in 1940 are conveniently airbrushed from Setanta's revisionist view of history.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 06:55 am
I'm a little curious, are Americans who take a European tour treated as ugly Americans behind their backs (or maybe not behind.?) Perhaps because I am an American, I see it differently, but it seems from reading in this thread anyway, there is a lot of general dislike coming from those "across the pond." I mean the least little thing said is taken to the extreme. We are supposed to be allies, I take from reading from some of you that resent us from twisting your arm into going into Iraq? Well, to repeat the Dixi chick, don't think we are all like George Bush. Moreover, it really didn't seem like Tony Blair needed a lot of twisting. Like many of you, a lot of us was against the war in Iraq. I spent years lamenting it. Think I got of a little carried away or something now that I look back on it. In any case, I don't see why ya'll don't put the blame where it belongs, on your own leaders whether his arm was twisted or not, like we do (those of us who were against that war) rather than blame the whole US and its citizens.

No offense intended, and I haven't read everything so might have missed some things, personally I find it all a little silly and immature.

I admit I don't know squat about WW2, comes as no surprise I am sure. I am sure that more could have done from all sides to prevent Hitler from conquering so many nations and killing so many people. I always thought we didn't go until we were attacked for the simple reason no one wanted to back then. Horrible, but in the end we did, and with the allies we all prevailed so, at least that is good. Also find it rather in bad taste to be talking about all that with Walter on the thread, kind of like me a few weeks ago, no?

btw, sorry walter for my words yesterday, sometimes my temper gets the best of me if I feel I am being talked down to.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:09 am
@revelette2,
You're right, Blair didn't take much arm twisting at all, despite the overwhelming wishes of the country.

I'm sure you'd have a wonderful time if you came over here, most Americans do.

However, there are some Americans, Setanta being a prime example who like to lecture us about the horrors of British imperialism, (despite most of it happening before we were born,) whilst at the same time supporting American imperialism which is every bit as ugly.

Setanta is completely unapologetic about his role in the Vietnam war.

People like Setanta and Foofie try to airbrush Britain's involvement in WW2. Setanta has just lied about the Battle Of The River Plate and British and French action in Norway. Foofie similarly dismissed British action against the Japanes. Such people expect us to spend the rest of our lives thanking Americans and perpetually kowtowing, and when we don't they get nasty.

You're right we are supposed to be allies, but that doesn't mean we're a vassal state expected to pay homage.

Setanta started hurling the insults about when I had the temerity to disagree with Hawkeye and support Obama.
revelette2

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:29 am
@izzythepush,
Um, well, I am hardly going to take on Set. In any event, cheated in school, either I sat beside someone smart or else just memorized the day before. Married at seventeen....got a lot to catch up on if I ever get around to it. I find it enough to keep up with world events happening now rather than dwelling on the past.

Speaking of which,

WAS Crimea just the beginning?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 08:04 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Um, well, I am hardly going to take on Set.

I was never able to make such a decision, like I said, he was on to me from day 1.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 08:47 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
... You attacked me from day one on A2K purely because of my nationality, ...

Does Set attack" all other Brits in a similar fashion as he does you? If not, then you might want to check your premises.

I have no idea why Set attacked you from day one, but I didn't care for you from day one, not because of your nationality, but because of your asinine comments and the dripping condescension rampant in your remarks.

JTT

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 08:51 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
And despite all that he couldn't stop WW2.

Pretty difficult for him to do that, izzy, when he had been dead for 20 years.

I wonder why Setanta the historian didn't notice the screwup. Too intent on driving a stake thru Izzy's cold heart?

0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 08:58 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
However, there are some Americans, Setanta being a prime example who like to lecture us about the horrors of British imperialism, (despite most of it happening before we were born,) whilst at the same time supporting American imperialism which is every bit as ugly.

And, revelette, you would undoubtedly find some Brits who will be a complete asshole to you just because you are an American. Some, not unlike izzy, seem to have a chip on their shoulder.

I did have a wonderful time during my trip to England, but I ran across the assholes as well. The vast majority were not unfriendly, however.
Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 09:02 am
I only "attack" Izzy when he's saying idiotic, bigoted things. I can hardly be held responsible if he does it so often. As usual, though, his response to criticism is hysteria. I have not spent any time lecturing anyone on the evils of British imperialism. If Izzy hasn't actually got an argument, he just makes **** up.
revelette2

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 11:48 am
@Ticomaya,
I would still like to just to see the places I have read about for the last twenty years or so. Doubt I do though. Seems bad right now anyway.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 12:05 pm
@Ticomaya,
Contrex, Spendius.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 12:08 pm
@Setanta,
You're the one making **** up. Hawkeye was comparing Roosevelt to Obama, not Britain to America. I took Obama's side, and you reacted the way you always do. I remember you had a real problem with Snood too, so it's not just the British you dislike.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 12:09 pm
@Ticomaya,
I had a great time in Texas, I don't dislike Setanta because he's American, but because he's a bully.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 12:53 pm
Crimea Tartar community votes to seek ethnic and territorial autonomy
Quote:
The minority Muslim Tartar community in Crimea have taken the first steps toward seeking autonomy. An assembly vote follows Crimea's annexation by Russia.

Leaders of the Crimea peninsula's 300,000 strong Muslim Tartar community have voted to seek "ethnic and territorial autonomy."
An assembly of 200 Tartar delegates on Saturday, held in the Crimean Tartars' historic capital of Bakhchisaray, voted in favor of the proposal put to them by assembly leader Refat Chubarov

... ... ...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 01:02 pm
@Ticomaya,
Such eloquence, Tico, the flood of facts, the oh so cogent arguments. One can sure see how you could be a lawyer.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 01:06 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy: I was responding to Hawkeye's post when he contrasted Roosevelt with Obama.
/////////////

You just had the wrong Roosevelt. Hawkeye was talking about the war criminal, Teddy, not the war criminal, fdr.

And Setanta was so eager to get you, he didn't even notice. Had he noticed he would have been all over you like a cheap suit, izzy.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 01:22 pm
@spendius,
Spendius: Can you not see the incoherence in Setanta's idiotic remarks izzy?

I sure can, Spendi. Can you not see that same incoherence in Izzy's idiotic remarks?

Izzy:
Exactly, there's no reason whatsoever. He will side with anyone against me, first H2OMan, then Oralloy and now Hawkeye. He's shown he's completely lacking in principles, and demonstrates why Roosevelt had such problems in the early stages of the war, with Americans like him prepared to give their backing to anyone, no matter how distasteful, as long as they were fighting perfidious Albion.

Contrast the principled stance of those Irishmen who volunteered for the Royal Irish Regiment to fight fascism with his visceral, unprincipled hatred.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 01:26 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy: When you contrast this to the West's response to the occupation of Crimea, I think we've learnt the lessons of appeasement.
-----------

When you contrast this to the West's response to the occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan I know that we've learned nothing at all about the appeasement. Too many lapdogs, like the UK, and you, yourself, Izzy, licking uncle sam's dick.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 02:05 pm
@revelette2,
Rev: In any case, I don't see why ya'll don't put the blame where it belongs, on your own leaders whether his arm was twisted or not, like we do (those of us who were against that war) rather than blame the whole US and its citizens.

::::::::::::::::::::::::

If it was just once, just one mistake, a euphemism, that would be one thing, Rev, but it has been for the entire time the USA has been in existence. It's been one act of genocide after another. It's been constant raping and pillaging, behind a smoke screen that the USA was the saviour of the oppressed.

You surely don't believe that crap anymore, do you?

So, yes, y'all are to blame. You know "government of the people, ... .

----------------------------------------------------
When searching for the documentary record of the “good old days” back when the U.S. Government provided a shining example of honest government to the world, one quickly comes to the realization that those halcyon days never actually existed. In fact, the record of the English and Dutch occupations of North America, which led to the establishment of English colonies and later to the American Revolution are a record of unparallelled brutality and thievery: first of the lands of the aboriginal peoples of the North American continent, and almost immediately, the twin, world-historic crimes of the genocide of the Native American population and the African Slave Trade show that from its very inception, the U.S. Government has been a plague on world civilization and has been responsible for horrendous atrocities throughout its short and hopefully not much longer-lived history.

http://iwpchi.wordpress.com/2013/05/07/the-rise-of-u-s-imperialism-teddy-roosevelts-racist-u-s-war-crimes-in-the-philippines-1898/
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2014 05:00 am
Vladimir Putin ‘wants to regain Finland’ for Russia, adviser says

Quote:
“Putin’s view is that he protects what belongs to him and his predecessors,” Mr Illarionov said.

“Parts of Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, the Baltic States and Finland are states where Putin claims to have ownership.

Wow, wow, I thought.
But then, I read the last sentence of the here following passage:
Quote:
Mr Illarionov has helped draft a host of Russia’s economic policies in recent years, and served as Mr Putin’s personal representative at a number of G8 conferences. He is now a senior fellow at the Cato institute’s Center for Global Liberty and Prosperity in Washington.

0 Replies