COUP IN KYIV?

parados

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 07:14 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Condy Rice has an interesting insight. She says it's primarily because Obama "reset" our relationship with Putin - ostensibly erasing the sanctions set by the Bush administration as a result of Putin's move into Georgia.

The funny thing is I can't find reference to any sanctions imposed on Russia by Bush. Every story I can find says they were talked about but never implemented.

Can you tell us what sanctions Condi was talking about Lash? I'm just curious as to what they were.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 07:26 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I agree with Condi's assessment. I agree with Bush's sanctions.

What sanctions? There is nothing on Wikipedia. There was no vote in the UN. I can find no statement about sanctions from 2008. There were only condemnation statements made by Bush, Cheney and others.

I finally found and read Rice's commentary. It does not mention sanctions. The only thing it mentions is plans being scrapped for a missile defense system in the Czech Republic and Poland. Obama didn't pull back on sanctions.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:23 am
@Foofie,
I wonder if you would feel the same if some people in some of the land we have in the US which was signed under treaties decided they wanted to belong to the previous countries.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 09:30 am
The latest, and it's not good.

Quote:
Russian troops are storming a Ukrainian military base in Simferopol, and one Ukranian soldier has been wounded in the attack, Interfax-Ukraine news agency reports. It quoted an officer at the military topography and navigation centre as saying that its commander has been captured and the rest of the troops have barricaded themselves in on the first floor of a building at the base.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26625476
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 10:24 am
From the beginning, I 've believed that all of Putin 's Crimean
aspirations will come true. Obama is a joke.
revelette2

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 10:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Did you say the same when Putin invaded Georgia? As much as we might like to think so, we are not gods in charge of the world.

I think Gates was right when he said this has been Putin's plans for a long time coming. I also think he might be right when he said Putin is not going to stop with Crimea.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 10:31 am
@izzythepush,
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpsce3e86f9.jpg

However, it's still not clear what actually happened - latest news said, the attackers were "masked" persons ...
revelette2

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 10:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
When the Russians first started to come into Crimea they came over in civilian clothes.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 10:48 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I think you're a joke for letting Putin take Crimea...
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 10:53 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

And you're talking as an ignoramus with no idea of what's going on. Plenty of Russian speaking Ukrainians want to stay in Ukraine. The true is far more nuanced than your monochromatic, primitive brain can comprehend.

Unless Russia wants Alaska back, the whole topic just bores me. The EU should stamp its collective foot, and have one grand hissy fit. But, leave the U.S. out of it, since we are in our own hemisphere.

Also, in my opinion, in another 50-100 years, or sooner, when the effort would be made to make Siberia much more habitable, I would think Russia can populate Siberia with high tech types, and then Russia might be the leading world power. I would like to think someone in the U.S. has the forethought to have a Rapproachment with the Russians, like Britain had the forethought to have a Rapproachment with the U.S. at the end of the nineteenth century.

I don't worry too much about China, since in my gut I think they are sort of like Bizarro of the old Superman comic books.
Foofie

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 10:57 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I wonder if you would feel the same if some people in some of the land we have in the US which was signed under treaties decided they wanted to belong to the previous countries.

I have no idea as to which peoples, and which previous countries, you might be talking about?
Foofie

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 10:58 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The latest, and it's not good.

Quote:
Russian troops are storming a Ukrainian military base in Simferopol, and one Ukranian soldier has been wounded in the attack, Interfax-Ukraine news agency reports. It quoted an officer at the military topography and navigation centre as saying that its commander has been captured and the rest of the troops have barricaded themselves in on the first floor of a building at the base.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26625476

And I was just about to read All's Quiet On the Western Front.
Foofie

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 10:59 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

From the beginning, I 've believed that all of Putin 's Crimean
aspirations will come true. Obama is a joke.

A ex-community organizer should not play chess with an ex-KGB officer.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 10:59 am
@Foofie,
If it bores you, then stop contributing.
Foofie

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 11:01 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

If it bores you, then stop contributing.

It is my brand of intellectual kibbitzing, Mr. Serious European (in my opinion, of course).
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 11:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Obama is a joke.

Really? Here are some quotations by George Bush.

"We spent a lot of time talking about Africa, as we should. Africa is a nation that suffers from incredible disease."

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."

"Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning?"

"There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on --shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again."

You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy test."

"I'm telling you there's an enemy that would like to attack America, Americans, again. There just is. That's the reality of the world. And I wish him all the very best."

"Throughout our history, the words of the Declaration have inspired immigrants from around the world to set sail to our shores. These immigrants have helped transform 13 small colonies into a great and growing nation of more than 300 people."
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 11:09 am
@Foofie,
There's nothing intellectual about it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 11:10 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
The EU should stamp its collective foot, and have one grand hissy fit. But, leave the U.S. out of it, since we are in our own hemisphere.
You might not have noticed it, but ...
... who do you think, brought the USA into play here on the thread and in realty?

... it's less an EU-thing than a European in general - if you just focus on the continent. (And thus OECD and NATO are involved as well, two organisations, the USA is a member of as well.)
Foofie

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 11:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
The EU should stamp its collective foot, and have one grand hissy fit. But, leave the U.S. out of it, since we are in our own hemisphere.
You might not have noticed it, but ...
... who do you think, brought the USA into play here on the thread and in realty?

... it's less an EU-thing than a European in general - if you just focus on the continent. (And thus OECD and NATO are involved as well, two organisations, the USA is a member of as well.)

Those entangling alliances always spell trouble, in my opinion.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2014 11:16 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
And I was just about to read All's Quiet On the Western Front.
Well, hopefully, there won't be such horrible battles as described in that book anymore. But if you need such ...
0 Replies