COUP IN KYIV?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 03:18 pm
Monitors from the United States and 14 other nations are on their way to Ukraine, at Kiev’s invitation and under the aegis of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe.

A U.S. official said the team planned to leave within 24 hours, the Associated Press reports:

Quote:
Daniel Baer, the chief U.S. delegate to the Organization for Security and Cooperation, told The Associated Press that each country was contributing two individuals. But with more OSCE member nations expected to join, he said the mission could grow beyond its present strength of 30 people.

The 57-nation OSCE works on consensus, so most monitoring missions would have to be approved by all nations, including OSCE member Russia. But a provision of its regulations allows member countries to ask others to send unarmed military monitors in case of emergencies, and Baer said that Ukraine made use of that rule.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 03:52 pm
@roger,
Russia is losing the Media war, this is the most telling example. All the focus has been on legitimising Russia's actions and making them legal.

The World's media just isn't buying it. Kerry made sure he was accepting Kiev's argument, and dismissed Putin's out of hand, and Kerry's message is the one getting out. BBC News was full of Russian speaking Ukrainian politicians telling Russia to back off, and one Crimean soldier saying his Russian parents couldn't believe he was prepared to fight for Kiev.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2014 04:55 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Jesting:
We could sell them the new portion of the San Francisco Bay Bridge.

(by way of saying I'm still reading - I appreciate this thread, thanks to all re the information)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 02:31 am
The latest, at long bloody last.

Quote:
US Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov are due to hold crucial talks to try to ease tensions over the Ukraine crisis.

The US accuses Moscow of deploying troops in Ukraine's Crimea region, describing it as an "act of aggression" - a claim denied by the Kremlin.

Despite the sharp differences, both sides have hinted they would prefer to start a dialogue.

Moscow remains in de facto control of Ukraine's southern autonomous region.

The tense stand-off continued overnight in Crimea, but there were no reports of any violence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26444747
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 03:36 am
UK will not curb trade with Russia.

Yet again, an idiot has strolled into a Downing Street meeting (where dozens of Press photographers take pictures of their arrival) with a briefing document clearly on show.
Laughably, this person, as yet unnamed, is supposed to be a 'Security Advisor'.

From the BBC News article......

"The government will not curb trade with Russia or close London's financial centre to Russians as part of any possible sanctions against Moscow, according to an official document.

But it confirms ministers are considering - along with other EU countries - visa restrictions and travel bans on key Russian figures.

The document was photographed as a senior official carried it into a meeting in Downing Street.

The government refused to comment.

The document says ministers should "discourage any discussion (eg at Nato) of contingency military preparations" and support "contingency EU work on providing Ukraine with alternative gas" and oil supplies "if Russia cuts them off".

'Generic'
Up until now ministers have made no specific threats of action against Russia and Downing Street has stressed the need to keep open the possibility of de-escalating the crisis.

Prime Minister David Cameron said on Monday that Russia would face "diplomatic, political, economic and other pressures" to send a "clear message" about its actions in the Ukraine.

Public statements should for now be kept "generic", the document says, whereas specific threats should be "contingent and used for private messaging".

This is in contrast to the specific hard-line threats made by US Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday.

One senior government source said: "We prefer to speak softly and carry a big stick."

He stressed that European countries were pursuing a deliberate policy of showing to Russia that de-escalation was still possible while being clear that "significant costs" would follow if Moscow did not seek a peaceful conclusion to its dispute with Ukraine.

The BBC understands that Mr Cameron hopes to speak to Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel later.

The German attitude is regarded as crucial since that country is generally in favour of a less confrontational approach to Russia and is heavily dependent on Russian gas and oil.

Downing Street is refusing to comment on the document, though it is understood that other scenarios were considered at a meeting of the National Security Council on Monday."

One would almost be forgiven for believing that they intentionally wanted this thing leaked . Cool
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 05:48 am
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zpse9147df1.jpg
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 06:00 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, is there any way of finding out what Putin's idea of a 'traditional Ukranian partner' is?

Are they the same people who fired warning shots as per Putin's orders yesterday?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 06:11 am
@Lordyaswas,
I think so ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 06:13 am
Quote:
VIENNA, 5 March 2014 – Eighteen OSCE participating States decided to send 35 unarmed military personnel to Ukraine in response to its request.
[...]
As of now, eighteen OSCE participating States have responded positively to the request sending up to two representatives each. Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Slovakia, Sweden, Turkey, United Kingdom, and the United States. One representative from the OSCE Conflict Prevention Centre will also be participating. The military visit participants are on their way to Ukraine now.
[...]
Source: OSCE
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 06:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I bet there'll be some drinking contests in the hotel where they're staying.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 08:35 am
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/a_zps41338667.jpg
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 08:47 am
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhuOWiFCMAAzfLW.jpg:medium
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 09:20 am
@Lordyaswas,
senior government source said: "We prefer to speak softly and sroke our little dicks or uncle sam's big one."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 09:56 am
And now, there's the leaked phone call between EU foreign affairs chief Catherine Ashton and Estonian foreign affairs minister Urmas Paet

(Especially) Russian media say that it proves, the Kiev snipers were hired by Maidan leaders (now the new government)
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 10:13 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Listening to it, it doesn't prove anything, apart from a rumour flying around that a sniper or snipers were working independently, and firing on both sides.
I wonder who would profit most from that tactic? Someone who wants to blow the whole thing sky high and cause it to be called an armed coup, perchance?
Ragman

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 10:20 am
@Lordyaswas,
Not intending criticism, but my purpose of reading the thread is to sort out the facts and avoid the proliferation and the sensational speculation and rumors of snipers, etc.

This tension reminds me of the tension similar to the Cuban Missile Crisis...only this time USA is not quite 'in the soup' as then.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 10:21 am
@Lordyaswas,
The Estonian foreign ministry said in a statement:
Foreign minister Paet was giving an overview of what he had heard the previous day in Kiev and expressed concern over the situation on the ground. We reject the claim that Paet was giving an assessment of the opposition’s involvement in the violence.

A spokeswoman for Ashton’s office said:
We can’t comment on leaks but our position on violence is very clear - that it should be investigated.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 10:56 am
UN's envoy Robert Serry's convoy was stopped and threatened by unidentified armed men ("pro-Russian militia") in Simferopol. (He is safe back in the hotel, various sources report.)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 11:24 am
@Walter Hinteler,
If one gives credence of a Euroasia, as a continent, then Russia's actions can be compared to the U.S.'s Monroe Doctrine from an earlier era, perhaps.

Can anyone really think Russia would allow an EU country, on their border, solidify a new identity with becoming a full-fledged NATO member? In a way, since Kiev goes back to a medieval identity that was more Russian than European, it might really be a case of nationality confusion, perhaps similar in psychological ways to gender confusion? The comparison might be apropro, considering Russia's anti-gay concerns?

Western Ukraine might just focus its future on growing grain for Europe, considering climate change can shorten many planting seasons?
Foofie

Reply Wed 5 Mar, 2014 11:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Foofie wrote:
I was taught that protecting ethnic Germans in the Sudetenland was the initial reason for occupying it.
I didn't comment on your teachings and what your history professors told you but used original sources/quotes.

How charming; however, I am a product of the U.S. educational system. Fine with me.