COUP IN KYIV?

JTT

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 06:12 pm
@Setanta,
Surely Set, if the USA can forgive myriad war criminals and terrorists, what's the big deal with a little graft. Y'all are such sanctimonious buggers when you have zero reason to be save to keep up your position as Número uno hypocrites.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 06:28 pm
@Setanta,
I don't know, didn't think too hard on that one. You seemed stumped, so I thought I would give a go while waiting for my game to download.
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 06:46 pm
@revelette2,
You don't by now,Rev, recognize Setanta's trademark attack on a separate tiny issue; why? because you showed him and Lash up?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 06:48 pm
@revelette2,
I usually go off-line altogether to play games, but then, i don't play MMOs.
revelette2

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 07:18 pm
@Setanta,
Had to look to see what you were talking about..I think it is those actions shooting games? Don't play them either. I go offline as well, but..get impatient.

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2014 07:20 pm
@revelette2,
I think MMORPGs (massively multi-player online role playing games) are the biggest, but i don't know for certain because i don't play 'em.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 12:19 am
There are various reports that armed men seized the Crimea parliament.

Quote:
Interfax news agency said on Thursday that a local Tatar leader, Refat Chubarov, said on Facebook: “I have been told that the buildings of parliament and the council of ministers have been occupied by armed men in uniforms that do not bear any recognisable insignia.”

“They have not yet made any demands,” he said.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 12:58 am

Ukrainian Citizens Want Their Own
Constitutional Amendment to Own Guns

FEBRUARY 24 2014

BY DAN CANNON

I’m sure you’ve been following the situation in Ukraine with at least
some interest given the media coverage there. If you aren’t aware,
there was an overthrow of the government there. However, it was not
a bloodless coup. Dozens of protestors were killed by armed police during demonstrations.

Now, it seems, at least some Ukrainian citizens are recognizing why
it is important to protect the citizenry’s right to keep and bear arms
and are pushing to have an amendment added to their constitution
that would protect that right.

According to Ukrainian Gun Owners,

Today every citizen of Ukraine understands why our country has
hundreds of thousands of policemen. Last illusions were crushed when
riot police used rubber batons and boots at the Independence Square
on peaceful citizens.

After such actions we realize that it is not enough to only adopt the Gun Law.

As of today Ukrainian Gun Owners Association will start to work on the
preparation of amendments to the Constitution, which will provide
an unconditional right for Ukrainian citizens to bear arms

People should have the right to bear arms,
which will be put in written into the Constitution.

Authorities should not and will not be stronger than its people!

Armed people are treated with respect!

[All emfasis has been added by David again.]
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 01:45 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Indeed, something about gun-ownership was missing here. Sad
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 01:48 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The police did not have that problem.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 02:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Without guns this wouldn't have happened.

Quote:
Ukraine's security forces have been put on alert after government buildings in the Russian-majority Crimea region were seized by armed men.

The Russian flag had been raised over both buildings in the capital, Simferopol.

The local government has said it is negotiating with the gunmen.

The seizure of the buildings comes a day after confrontations between pro-Russian separatists and supporters of Ukraine's new leaders.

The incident is another illustration of tensions in the region, the BBC's Mark Lowen reports from Crimea.

On Wednesday Simferopol saw clashes erupt between Ukrainians who support the change of government and pro-Russians.

Ukrainian Interior Minister Arsen Avakov said the area near the government buildings has been cordoned off to prevent "bloodshed". He added that the seizure of the buildings was the work of "provocateurs".

"Measures have been taken to counter extremist actions and not allow the situation to escalate into an armed confrontation in the centre of the city," he said in a statement on his Facebook page.

Regional Prime Minister Anatoliy Mohylyov told a local TV station said he would take part in talks with the gunmen and told government employees who normally work there not to come in.

The men have not yet made any demands or issued any statements but did put up a sign reading: "Crimea is Russia".

They threw a flash grenade in response to questions from a journalist, AP news agency reported.

Tensions have been rising in Crimea since President Viktor Yanukovych was ousted last week.

Crimea - where ethnic Russians are in a majority - was transferred from Russia to Ukraine in 1954.

Ethnic Ukrainians loyal to Kiev and Muslim Tatars - whose animus towards Russia stretches back to Stalin's deportations during World War II - have formed an alliance to oppose any move back towards Moscow.

On Wednesday Prime Minister designate Arseniy Yatsenyuk said: "In Crimea we always had different sentiments and forces who try to split the country and proclaim separatism."

But he told the BBC that Ukraine "could cope".

Crimea was transferred from Russia to Ukraine in 1954.

Russia, along with the US, UK and France, pledged to uphold the territorial integrity of Ukraine in a memorandum signed in 1994.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26364891
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 02:46 am
According to interfax, the Russian airforce in the western region is on alert.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 02:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

According to interfax, the Russian airforce in the western region is on alert.

if the Russians decide to take Crimea back who is going to stop them? If I were Putin I would do it in a heartbeat.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 02:54 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Without guns this wouldn't have happened.
Without guns,
anyone in his right mind woud have to MAKE guns
to control the situation. (Its not hard.) or find a gunsmith
izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 03:46 am
@revelette2,
Tymoshenko can be both corrupt and a political prisoner. From Wiki.

Quote:
Prior to her political career, Tymoshenko was a successful but controversial businesswoman in the gas industry, becoming by some estimates one of the richest people in the country. Before becoming Ukraine's first female Prime Minister in 2005, Tymoshenko co-led the Orange Revolution. In 2005 she placed third in the Forbes Magazine's list of the world's most powerful women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yulia_Tymoshenko

In the lawlessness that engulfed the region after the breakup of the Soviet Union it's fairly inconceivable that someone could accumulate such wealth without some measure of corruption.

Having said that, Tymoshenko wasn't the only corrupt politician, they were all at it, which is why the protesters want new faces. Tymoshenko was a political prisoner because she was one of the few oligarchs to be tried with corruption. Yanukovych and his cronies were every bit as corrupt as Tymoshenko if not more so.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 03:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
David, you seem to live in a world where universal gun ownership is some sort of panacea. If it was Afghanistan would be the most libertarian, free country in the world. It's not. Now can we focus on the Ukraine and restrict discussions about guns to the many threads dedicated to the topic, please.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 03:54 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
if the Russians decide to take Crimea back who is going to stop them? If I were Putin I would do it in a heartbeat.

Putin is a lot smarter than you. He has problems with protesters at home, including a substantial amount of Ukrainian ex pats. A lot of Russia's income comes from selling gas to the EU via Ukrainian pipelines. Any invasion would open up a can of worms that would weaken Russia diplomatically and economically. He's still paying the price of invading Chechnya. The smart thing to do would be wait and see. Ukraine and Crimea aren't going anywhere.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 04:08 am
Here's a 'France24' news video re. The Russian Flag flying over the local parliament office in Crimea.
Thirty second Citroen advert go endure first, I'm afraid......

http://www.france24.com/en/20140227-ukraine-crimea-armed-men-seize-building/
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 04:13 am
... and in other news:
Yanukovych asks Russia to ensure his personal security
Quote:
Moscow - Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych, whom the Ukrainian opposition declared as self-removed from power following recent events in Ukraine, has asked the Russian authorities to ensure his personal security.

"Threats of reprisals are coming to me and my associates. I have to ask the authorities of the Russian Federation to ensure my personal security from extremists' actions," Yanukovych said in a statement obtained by Interfax on Thursday.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2014 04:19 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I suppose it depends on how much he can pay in cash or other assets.