News: Internet Trolls Are Really Horrible People

Frank Apisa

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 07:05 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Lower your voice, frank, please. Smile

I guess I could use the color Coldjoint uses to differentiate between quotes and responses, but I think the bold is nice.

But when I am responding to you, I will attempt to be more careful.
JPB

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 07:13 am
I still think of Gus as a troll. He was a lovable troll, but a troll nonetheless. RG once called him the greatest troll on the internet. He'd drop inane bullshit into any number of threads and, because he was so popular, the thread would get totally derailed onto goats, or whatever. I didn't read the full OP, but I don't think internet trolls are really horrible people. The troll trollers, however, drive me bananas. The troll trollers and last worders taking over a thread is usually when I leave it.

Edit: I think last worders are even more disruptive to a discussion than the trolls.
Romeo Fabulini

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 07:19 am
Another thing- although the standard image of a troll is an immature name-calling overgrown schoolboy brat, they do come in all ages.
For example I've been called these names by an over-70 yrs old Jehovah's Witness in A2K..Wink-

Romeo is-
ignorant (21 Sept 2013)
malicious (22 Sep 2013)
fable spinner (24 Sep 2013)
drivel (24 Sep 2013)
deceiver (11 Nov2013)
racist (7 Feb 2014)
liar (19 Feb 2014)
Joe Nation

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 08:04 am
@Frank Apisa,
Memo from the desk
of
The Village Wit
(Rhymes with ..... ?)

Nah, I am neither asking you to do anything nor to stop doing anything. Why in the world would I do either of those things?

Quote:
..... when did you start supposing that logic/thoughtful repartee were mutually exclusive of persistence and determination?

Not exclusive of either, but there is a point, fairly easy for this wit-head (rhymes with....) to discern, where a conversation descends from logic/thoughtful, or even fun, repartee and that persistent determination embodied by all the parties who continue it devolves into a kind of humming in the background.

For the record, I love voting posts up or down. I like it that other people do too. Anyone can go to the OP of any thread and see immediately what the community, at least the up/down voting portion of it, thinks has been of value to a discussion and, by extension, to this forum.
I vote up posts that I think are valuable, I vote down 'hummers'.

Let's us all carry on doing what we love to do.

Joe(each armed with a keyboard and a mouse)Nation

Frank Apisa

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 08:26 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Memo from the desk
of
The Village Wit
(Rhymes with ..... ?)

Nah, I am neither asking you to do anything nor to stop doing anything. Why in the world would I do either of those things?

Quote:
..... when did you start supposing that logic/thoughtful repartee were mutually exclusive of persistence and determination?

Not exclusive of either, but there is a point, fairly easy for this wit-head (rhymes with....) to discern, where a conversation descends from logic/thoughtful, or even fun, repartee and that persistent determination embodied by all the parties who continue it devolves into a kind of humming in the background.

For the record, I love voting posts up or down. I like it that other people do too. Anyone can go to the OP of any thread and see immediately what the community, at least the up/down voting portion of it, thinks has been of value to a discussion and, by extension, to this forum.
I vote up posts that I think are valuable, I vote down 'hummers'.

Let's us all carry on doing what we love to do.

Joe(each armed with a keyboard and a mouse)Nation

Okay, Wit Head...I now understand.

For me, I would not "thumb up or down" any thread (not sure you can actually do that) or post...nor do I pay attention to any thumbing being done. I've heard so many complaints about thumbing, it seems almost certain that it does not denote actual evaluation of the content of the post as much as the "I don't like you anymore" thing children sometimes do with their parents when miffed.

But you do your thing...and I will continue to do mine.
Joe Nation

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 09:46 am
@Frank Apisa,
One can indeed vote down a thread. You go to the OP and click. I've done that occasionally for obviously racist threads.

I'm sure you're right about what I would call the "schoolyard I don't like you nyah nyah factor" especially when the humming begins, but I've been to too many threads where I can see just where the best contribution has been made ( ie~ when Oristar asks a question about idiomatic English and somebody writes a really good answer)
It doesn't take very many UPs to put the post on the top of most lists : 4 or 5 looks to be about average. It takes about four DOWNs for a post to disappear from view. About the same for a thread to do the same.
I wager that no one complains about their posts/threads being voted UP.

Again, it seems to me to be the easiest way to remove trollness from our midst at least temporarily, they are (those who actually are trolls) have that persistence you admire because they get so much sadistic pleasure from being anonymously public. That is something that sets you and Thomas and several others apart, you and the others who are not anonymous here, I think, deserve special applause.

I keep meaning to open to a new account wherein I would use my own name (that is my face up there on the left) but I never seem to get around to it.
Besides then, godknows who would show up at my building for a dinner on the roof?

Joe(making a mental list)Nation
0 Replies

Foofie

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 09:52 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Actually, you seem to prefer being the village wit more than either light or heat in discussions

. But that is your preference...and you are free to indulge it...just as others are free to indulge theirs.

Okay?

In my opinion, a very good insight. Again in my opinion, I can envision Seinfeld, in an episode, repeating the title of this thread to George or Kramer in his inimitable tone.
IRFRANK

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 10:33 am
@JPB,
Quote:
I didn't read the full OP, but I don't think internet trolls are really horrible people.

You should read the OP. It's not that they are bad people, but they do have certain disdainful personality traits.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 10:34 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Heal thyself.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 10:40 am
The juvenile mentality of trolls can be seen by the fact that they'll kneejerkingly vote down a post by somebody who they've taken a dislike to, even if that person is agreeing with something the troll previously said on a subject!

PS- We holy men don't play the vote game, i never vote anything up or down, I simply couldn't care less..Smile
tontoiam

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 10:46 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
But when I am responding to you, I will attempt to be more careful.

Shocked
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 11:22 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Actually, you seem to prefer being the village wit more than either light or heat in discussions

. But that is your preference...and you are free to indulge it...just as others are free to indulge theirs.

Okay?

In my opinion, a very good insight. Again in my opinion, I can envision Seinfeld, in an episode, repeating the title of this thread to George or Kramer in his inimitable tone.

Funny comment. I've just finished a book written in the first person...and I read the entire book using the voice of William Powell for the narrator...and a combination of Myrna Loy and Grace Kelly for his ex-wife/new wife.

It's called The Gate House by Nelson DeMille...and I would enthusiastically recommend it. DeMille has almost as much wit as Joe! It is a terrific read.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 02:32 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
The juvenile mentality of trolls can be seen by the fact that they'll kneejerkingly vote down a post by somebody who they've taken a dislike to, even if that person is agreeing with something the troll previously said on a subject!
PS- We holy men don't play the vote game, i never vote anything up or down, I simply couldn't care less..Smile

I consider the number of downvotes on my posts as a measure of how many retards are reading a given thread.
neologist

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 03:20 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
One just peddles the same tired bullshit we've heard for over a decade.
Hey! Every thread needs counterpoint; even if from someone who lives under a bridge.
neologist

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 03:27 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I repent for ever having misled. Mr. Green
0 Replies

dalehileman

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 03:29 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I consider the number of downvotes on my posts as a measure of how many retards are reading a given thread.
Ora I'm one of those retards who votes down almost anything in which he's not interested, just to get its listing out of the way and yes, do feel some guilt. What we have to do, is persuade the Powers to create another means

..one by the way that doesn't leave behind a "Topic voted down (view)" as they really do pile up
Frank Apisa

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 04:07 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Setanta wrote:
One just peddles the same tired bullshit we've heard for over a decade.
Hey! Every thread needs counterpoint; even if from someone who lives under a bridge.

Wink Wink Wink Wink
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 20 Feb, 2014 04:08 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Ora I'm one of those retards who votes down almost anything in which he's not interested, just to get its listing out of the way and yes, do feel some guilt. What we have to do, is persuade the Powers to create another means
..one by the way that doesn't leave behind a "Topic voted down (view)" as they really do pile up

I was talking about downvotes on my posts, not on my threads.

I've never had much problem with threads I'm not interested in showing up. If I'm not interested, then odds are I've never posted in them. And if I've never posted in them, then they don't show up in the "My Posts" list.
0 Replies

neologist

Fri 21 Feb, 2014 01:08 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
I ignore nobody, never have and never will!
It's far more fun decking them..
Keep swinging, Romeo. You may get to have fun someday. Meanwhile, we enjoy the breeze.
Joe Nation

Fri 21 Feb, 2014 09:39 am
@neologist,
heh.

Joe(funny, man)Nation
0 Replies