I don't understand engaging with trolls.

DrewDad

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 04:15 pm
There are certain posters who are determined to be assholes because they think it makes them "edgy."

They think this is some kind of special distinction.

It's not.

Please stop feeding into their narcissism.

Put 'em on ignore. That's what will cause them the most pain.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 5,227 • Replies: 62

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 04:19 pm
Yer a voice in the wilderness. Too many posters compulsively answer every troll endlessly, ad nauseam. Not likely to change.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 06:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes, I know.

"I'm a lone voice for sanity in a world gone mad!"

Who am I impersonating?
Rockhead

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 06:08 pm
@DrewDad,
Nietzsche?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 06:13 pm
@DrewDad,
Do you have a nonredeemable troll list for us? We have been over this a few times, and things always go haywire when there is little agreement on what the definition of a troll is.

BTW-I am liking how you assume that you know the motivation of people who post here, I myself do not posses such powers of mind/heart reading.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 07:39 pm
Some people just like arguing, and prefer to fight with the trolls time and time again than to ignore them.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 07:59 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:

Some people just like arguing, and prefer to fight with the trolls time and time again than to ignore them.

Are you making a value judgement here? Is there anything wrong with arguing or people who like to argue?
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:03 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Is there anything wrong with arguing or people who like to argue?

It's the quality of the argument that counts! Wink
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:08 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
Is there anything wrong with arguing or people who like to argue?

It's the quality of the argument that counts! Wink

I agree, but I know a lot of people who think that all arguing is bad, usually these being the same people who think that we can criminalize conflict and thus get rid of it. Humans are both cooperative and combative, arguing is not a character flaw. Wanting to be rid of arguing in the public space is how ever idiocy, which I am afraid DrewDad is guilty of.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
But some people (not naming names) seem to enjoy arguing endlessly.... long after they have anything new to say .... simply for the sake of arguing.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:19 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

But some people (not naming names) seem to enjoy arguing endlessly.... long after they have anything new to say .... simply for the sake of arguing.

The Beauty of A2K is that it is a big enough tent that people can come here for a lot of different reasons and find value. WTF is the problem with using A2K as a place to argue facts and morals? If you dont like it then ignore those post or those threads where these people are doing their thing. Diversity and inclusion is a GOOD thing.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
WTF is the problem with using A2K as a place to argue facts and morals?

Absolutely no problem!
That is one of the best features of this site.

Quote:
If you dont like it then ignore those post or those thread where these people are doing their thing.

I've often been involved in discussions, which I've been very interested in, then have later ignored (not using the "ignore" feature, simply ignored the thread) when I've perceive that some posters are simply arguing for the sake of continuing to argue ... rather than contributing any new insights to the discussion. At that point an interesting thread becomes boring. And discourages participation, apart from a small handful of combatants.

Quote:
Diversity and inclusion is a GOOD thing.

I agree. Absolutely.
But my agreement doesn't embrace the right of some posters to bore others rigid by posting endless dubious arguments in an attempt to wear down those with opposing views, in a vain attempt to "win" the argument, making people's eyes glaze over in the process ...... You understand the distinction?

You seem to be taking my comments quite personally, hawkeye.
-
manored

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 08:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Are you making a value judgement here? Is there anything wrong with arguing or people who like to argue?
Not really. I do suppose the expression "Some people" tends to carry negative conotations.

msolga wrote:

You can just ignore the endless circular arguers, or try to break them out of it by pointing out they arent really saying anything new, or ask them to take it elsewhere if they sailed off-topic. Im afraid there's no way to simply, say, not have endless circular arguers.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 09:01 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
You seem to be taking my comments quite personally, hawkeye.

Well ya, I am here to argue. And I have often been called a troll. I am happy to see that we are on the same page on this as in the past my impression was that you are thin skinned in arguments.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 09:03 pm
if it walks like a duck...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 09:27 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

Nietzsche?

Yeah, he was an asshole, too.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 09:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I am happy to see that we are on the same page on this as in the past my impression was that you are thin skinned in arguments.

Smile
Nope. Not at all.
Certainly not now.
I think you might be projecting a bit! Wink
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 10:01 pm
@msolga,
msolga said
Quote:
This is something that has been concerning me for some time.: The posting behaviours of a small minority of A2K members whose sole aim appears to be to deliberately derail threads for their own particular motives.

Their “motives” can be anything from believing that their arguments are not being taken seriously enough. Though their arguments might well appear to be rather flimsy to other participants of the threads involved.

Or, someone who develops a particular dislike or antipathy to another poster here & proceeds to “follows them around” , making disparaging comments about that person at every opportunity. I call that sort of behaviour “stalking”.
Then, when the “stalked” member responds, after constant provocation, the “troll” cries foul!

Or when the poster who has posted the flimsy argument to a thread & not had that argument taken all that seriously, proceeds to systematically disrupt discussion on that thread, because of some perceived “bias” on the other participants of the thread.

Perhaps these sorts of activities are not so apparent to other A2Kers who have not personally been involved in the threads that have been affected. But I can tell you it is happening.
I can tell you that these sorts of activities are holding some threads hostage.

I want to open up some discussion about these concerns to the whole A2K community. I think it is high time we accepted that these sorts of activities are actually happening & are turning some people off participating in some of the more “debatable” threads.

Yes, we can put some members on “ignore”. We can vote their posts down. But this does not necessarily stop their trolling behaviour. Which still has a big impact on the flow, direction & viability of particular threads. It does not solve the problem. Remember though, that these are a small minority of posters.

I say If we want to have some “meaty”, interesting discussions on sometimes “contentious” issues here, that we need to find some ways of confronting this problem when it occurs.

Recently I said this on a thread I have been involved in:

Quote:
What they have "succeeded" in doing , through boorish posting behaviour, is turning off people who were enjoying participating in an informative thread. ..... Because XXXXX didn't like what other posters were saying, because it didn't reflect his particular view & he didn't know when to stop endlessly posting on his same (vague) "issue". Till we were all just about numb with it.
#####'s motive, on the other hand, appeared to be further indulging his obsessive stalking of *****, on any thread going. Pretty tiresome to anyone but #####. Personally I find this sort of forum stalking really offensive.

Me, I'm wondering why anyone would bother to go to the trouble of starting any new thread (like this one) when it involves work on their part (& it definitely does, let me tell you) & also the hassles of the commitment to keeping the thread "on track". When it can be so easily be derailed in such nonsensical & at times, offensive & irrelevant ways. By people who sometimes have minimal interest to the topic being discussed. It is very easy to undermine a thread, if one chooses to be bloody-minded, but not nearly so easy to create & maintain a good thread.

I said, in an earlier post, right now there a few threads here hold much interest for me here. Lots of "lite" threads, but not that many "meatier" threads of interest. If we are going to let troll-ish behaviour & aggressive digressions dictate discussion/debating threads here, well I think we only have ourselves to blame for the quality of the threads we end up with.

Me, I would like to see a lot more support for the people who are actually trying to create some half-interesting threads here.

http://able2know.org/topic/143018-1

All of this because you were peeved that a thread was not going the way you wanted it to go.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 10:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Not at all.
My concern was about a determined disruption of a particular thread.
Not too much different to what I see to some threads now.
msolga

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 10:24 pm
@msolga,
Timed out before I could fix my statement to:

Not too much different to what I see happening to some threads now.

I have no problem with my (quoted) concerns expressed on that thread, hawkeye.

0 Replies