News: Internet Trolls Are Really Horrible People

Joe Nation

Sun 23 Feb, 2014 03:29 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
I do not comment on others directly. Plus, my vote/opinion never counts in this venue.

The first sentence is a wise stance.
The second is not so.

Joe(I said so)Nation
Foofie

Sun 23 Feb, 2014 03:35 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Quote:
I do not comment on others directly. Plus, my vote/opinion never counts in this venue.

The first sentence is a wise stance.
The second is not so.

Joe(I said so)Nation

My second sentence reflects my realism.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:31 am
@JPB,
"Troll" means a lot of different things. Sure, Gus was doing the traditional trolling in terms of baiting people and having a laugh with them but these days the word "troll" tends to be more associated with online bullies and sociopathic behavior online. "Troll" can now mean anything from baiting people into a joke to people with personality disorders who use the internet. As the internet is increasingly a medium of social contact and communication society is increasingly needing to deal with antisocial behavior online.
Frank Apisa

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 10:44 am
@Robert Gentel,
Wow...a Robert sighting!

How are things?
Foofie

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Wow...a Robert sighting!

How are things?

But, what he said, in my opinion, is true. I wonder if his point might eventually come to fruition, due to new internet regulations?

Meanwhile, there seems to be troll vigilanteism, where troll bashing is acceptable behavior. But, just in my opinion, within many a troll basher is a troll screaming to come out. This would be unconscious of course, as opposed to a troll in the closet (not an oxymoron; one who professes only to give good A2K, but reacts to negative feedback in a troll like manner).
Romeo Fabulini

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:18 pm
My late dad was a troll during my childhood in the 1950's/60's, always criticising me and putting a damper on all my hobbies and interests.
When I grew up I realised why he was like that, he liked to think he was the brains of the family and he couldn't handle the fact that I might be brighter than him, hence his constant petty jealous sniping at me to try to cut me down.
I think there's an element of that in modern internet trolls, they can't bear to think other people might know more than them, hence their constant trolling and name-calling!
My advice to trolls is to stop thinking that you're not as good as anybody else, because surely there must be SOMETHING you know a lot about such as sports or music or cars or films or motorsickles or whatever..Smile
Frank Apisa

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:28 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Wow...a Robert sighting!

How are things?

But, what he said, in my opinion, is true. I wonder if his point might eventually come to fruition, due to new internet regulations?

Meanwhile, there seems to be troll vigilanteism, where troll bashing is acceptable behavior. But, just in my opinion, within many a troll basher is a troll screaming to come out. This would be unconscious of course, as opposed to a troll in the closet (not an oxymoron; one who professes only to give good A2K, but reacts to negative feedback in a troll like manner).

I quite agree with you, Foofie...and with Robert.

Something HAS to be done.

I think requiring everyone to use their real name...and give access to where they live...would be a very welcome start!

No newspaper in America would countenance a letter to the editor or op ed voicing an opinion...without disclosure of that information.

The anonymity has to be ended...and each site should be required to verify the name and location of every poster.

(Signed) Frank Apisa, Piscataway, N. J. USA
Foofie

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Wow...a Robert sighting!

How are things?

I think requiring everyone to use their real name...and give access to where they live...would be a very welcome start!

No newspaper in America would countenance a letter to the editor or op ed voicing an opinion...without disclosure of that information.

The anonymity has to be ended...and each site should be required to verify the name and location of every poster.

There are elements in society that would use names and addresses for nefarious purposes. Therefore, I believe, that would not be required. The one thing would be to have those "hamsters" get more authority to give some a "time out." Perhaps, even banished to the proverbial desert. People are not stupid. Those with a history of inappropriate behavior would change over night. Sort of like when hate crime laws came into being, in my opinion. Halos would suddenly appear over some heads. No ex post facto (laws only apply to those that break the law after its becoming law). In my opinion, we would see so many nice folk on A2K. Or, better yet, they's move to a new neighborhood, where their personas are still welcome.
Frank Apisa

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 12:51 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Wow...a Robert sighting!

How are things?

There are elements in society that would use names and addresses for nefarious purposes.

Correct. So do not write opinions to newspapers...and you should also not offer opinions on the Internet.

Quote:

Therefore, I believe, that would not be required.

I don't either, but I would love to see it required. It might actually have an impact on the trolls.

Quote:
The one thing would be to have those "hamsters" get more authority to give some a "time out." Perhaps, even banished to the proverbial desert.

But then the hamsters would get to decide who is a troll...and who is simply steadfast and determined.

Not a good thing!

Quote:
People are not stupid. Those with a history of inappropriate behavior would change over night.

Or would they simply start using a different alias?

Quote:

Sort of like when hate crime laws came into being, in my opinion. Halos would suddenly appear over some heads. No ex post facto (laws only apply to those that break the law after its becoming law). In my opinion, we would see so many nice folk on A2K. Or, better yet, they's move to a new neighborhood, where their personas are still welcome.

I think names and locations should be required. Since so few people actually have the guts to post using their real names...I am probably in the minority, so I guess the crap will continue.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 02:04 pm
Frank is exactly right.

And now this musical break:

Joe('tis I)Nation
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 02:17 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Hi Frank!

Things have been crazy, mostly bad which is not so fun, but at least interesting.
blueveinedthrobber

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 02:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
So interesting in that Chinese way?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 02:40 pm
The interesting thing to me, at this moment, is the people on the page, Bear, Frank and I have all been thrown A2K for one reason or another.

Joe(We should be the selection/deselection committee)Nation
Frank Apisa

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 03:54 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

The interesting thing to me, at this moment, is the people on the page, Bear, Frank and I have all been thrown A2K for one reason or another.

Joe(We should be the selection/deselection committee)Nation

I'm assuming you meant "thrown off" in that sentence. (Didn't know you had a vacation, Joe. Bear and I tend, at times, to be a bit off the wall so it is not a surprise that we got the hook at one time...but you are normally the voice of reason.)

Where did the new avatar come from? Did you draw it?
roger

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 03:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Welcome back.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 03:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Hi Frank!

Things have been crazy, mostly bad which is not so fun, but at least interesting.

Hey Robert.

Hate to say this, but I think about you often when getting my ass pounded on the cash tables. I was hoping we'd hear good news about your pro career, but I guess that is on hold right now. Me...I obviously still do not have command of the game...which really bugs me, because I usually master any game discipline.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 04:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yes. I meant "thrown off". Heh.

My 'time out' occurred early in my life here. I had this brilliant idea that we should all send Happy Birthday greetings to each other, so I started PMing everyone I knew (and some that I did not know very well) asking when their birthday was.
Ahem.

I got reported by the semi-strangers for spamming.

Heh. I made a proper apology to the hamsters and was re-instated.
(after two weeks)
~~~~~
The caricature was made yesterday at a baby shower. Yes, I was at a baby shower!! It was so much fun.

The hostess hired this guy to do the drawings. He must have done thirty of them. We all had a good time making fun of how big the guy made my nose...... . Surprised

Joe( 'the voice of reason')Nation

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:06 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Here, I made you into a pencil sketch:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-EA2HJU83_UY/UwvPx5cDsDI/AAAAAAAAs0k/W8yt0XI5MhQ/w186-h205-no/Frank+Apisa+2.jpg

Joe(Isn't the Internet amazing?)Nation
Frank Apisa

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 05:58 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Here, I made you into a pencil sketch:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-EA2HJU83_UY/UwvPx5cDsDI/AAAAAAAAs0k/W8yt0XI5MhQ/w186-h205-no/Frank+Apisa+2.jpg

Joe(Isn't the Internet amazing?)Nation

Jeez, I look like such a grump. And was I wearing war paint...or are those actually the lines in my face (which have gotten much worse since that picture.)
Joe Nation

Mon 24 Feb, 2014 08:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Well, you do like to come off as a grump. I can make it a softer version and add a little color.

Joe(but you'll still have more lines in your face than the screenplay for War and Peace)Nation
0 Replies