Asking a girl out, taking another to prom??

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 04:48 pm
Hi all,

So basically what's happened is that I asked a co worker to prom last friday. She went into near tears and told me that someone else had asked her just a couple hours ago in school! Later at the end of our shift, she offered to do something for valentines day but I felt she was doing it because she felt bad for me so I declined. I spent the next few nights thinking over it and I find myself in a sticky situation.

Would it be inappropriate if I were to ask this co worker to an actual date and ask another girl to prom as well? I feel that this isn't a bad thing to do because well she has a date for prom so why shouldn't I?

All your help would be much appreciated!

jespah

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 05:53 pm
@mandophon,
Sounds like your coworker has someone already, so I don't think you should ask her out again. Just wish her well, that you hope she has a good time at her prom. And then ask the other one out in good conscience.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 06:30 pm
@mandophon,
It sounds to me that this girl likes you and would like to go out with you. You may be wrong that her offering to do something Valentine's day was "feeling bad for you". It seems more likely that she would honestly like to go out with you.

That being said... a prom date is not a lifelong commitment, it is just spending an evening with someone.

I think you should definitely ask this co-worker out again... after the prom has passed (assuming you have an interest in her). I don't think that asking someone else out to the prom is a bad idea in either case. These are two separate issues.
chai2

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 06:38 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Sounds like your coworker has someone already, so I don't think you should ask her out again. Just wish her well, that you hope she has a good time at her prom. And then ask the other one out in good conscience.

I have to politely disagree jes.

I think it's honorable of the young lady not to dump the person she already has the prom date with. At the same time, she's showing interest.

If the young man asks another girl, but doesn't come across like this is some budding relationship thing, I think it's fine.
jespah

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 06:51 pm
@chai2,
Hmm, maybe so. I was going by the OP's idea that the Valentines thing was maybe to make him feel better.

Proms are kind of a strange thing, anyway. I think there's a subset who agree to go with someone just to be going with a date.
mandophon

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 07:07 pm
@jespah,
prom is strange for sure! Idk if she said it to make me feel better or if she genuinely liked me. I would definitely ask her out if the latter is the case!
0 Replies

mandophon

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 07:07 pm
@maxdancona,
would it be out of the question to ask said co worker to a date over march break? or would that be inappropriate?
Joe Nation

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 07:52 pm
@mandophon,
Ask her out. Go have fun. Go to the movies. Rollerblade down the river.
Split a dinner at some diner. Fly a kite.
At some point the prom is going to come up, (it's in May or June, right?)
You should tell her that it's cool that she's going with the other guy because you two are going to have 100s of other nights.

Then kiss her really nicely.

Joe(have the best time of your life every time you can)Nation
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 08:44 pm
@mandophon,
I don't see why that would be inappropriate. A prom date is just a prom date, it isn't a marriage proposal and it doesn't come with any committment other than an evening together.

Go for it.
mandophon

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 09:04 pm
@maxdancona,
See I've some girl friends of mine and some of them say that this might be "toying" with their feelings. I was confused by this as I follow your same logic!
anonymously99

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 10:38 pm
@maxdancona,
F**k prom. Go to the beach. Party all day. Or night. Or both. Or something else. I ditched, never went senior year.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 08:28 am
@mandophon,
mandophon wrote:

See I've some girl friends of mine and some of them say that this might be "toying" with their feelings. I was confused by this as I follow your same logic!

It isn't toying if you don't lead the person on, and they know it's just a date.

If the person you ask for prom can't deal with that, let her find someone else to go with.
0 Replies