Massive pooh blocks sewer.

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 12:28 pm
Quote:
A large Winnie the Pooh teddy, a bike, a fax machine, jeans and a snake were among a host of bizarre items found in Scotland's sewers last year.

Scottish Water said it dealt with more than 40,000 blockages in the drains and sewer network.

Most were caused by people putting things such as cooking oil, nappies and baby wipes down sinks and toilets.

It is running an awareness campaign to highlight the issue, which it said creates costs of more than £7m a year.

A series of television and radio adverts will urge householders to dispose of kitchen and bathroom waste responsibly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26195258
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,014 • Replies: 38
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 12:40 pm
I am so pleased to see the word 'pooh' spelt properly. I was brought up to spell it with a final 'h' - you saw it in Enid Blyton - "Pooh! what a smell" and likewise as the word that children were encouraged to use instead of '****'. It ended with an h. Now I see references to 'dog poo', 'baby poo' etc. These look rather anaemic and weedy next to a good smelly POOH.

Do you have to be over a certain age to be taken aback (in an amused way) at this picture? If the image doesn't show where you are, it's the cover of a book showing the Disney cartoon version of Winnie with a mixing bowl, entitled "Cooking With Pooh"'

http://pigeonsnest.co.uk/stuff/crapstuff/images/cooking-with-pooh.jpg

glitterbag

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 12:46 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm pretty sure every country with a sewer system runs into the same thing. I'm never sure if its because people are lazy, stupid or simply don't care
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 02:47 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
If the image doesn't show where you are, it's the cover of a book showing the Disney cartoon version of Winnie with a mixing bowl, entitled "Cooking With Pooh"'

On a second viewing, it looks like somebody might have edited the picture to include some 'dookie'.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 07:17 pm
@izzythepush,
If they become independent, the problem might solve itself, as they gain a new national pride. The pooh might just be acting out the frustration of never feeling like they had the respect of many Britains?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2014 09:15 pm
@izzythepush,
so, your manholes do NOT seal eh?
That's something Id expect to see in China where people do NOT transgress the 2 LAws of sanitation
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 04:05 am
@farmerman,
I'm not Scottish.
anonymously99

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 04:29 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I'm not Scottish.

Irish?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:07 am
@izzythepush,
England, Scotland. The distances tween your "countries" are about the same distances between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:22 am
@farmerman,
You've got a thing about Chinese sewers, I remember you going on about Taiwan sewers when I posted a picture of Midsomer Norton.

Maybe it's down to giving it an extra big flush.

I'm sure your sewers are not hermetically sealed, that there exists a tool to open manhole covers, and should such a tool fall into the hands of an unscrupulous individual......
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:24 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

England, Scotland. The distances tween your "countries" are about the same distances between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Why the inverted commas? FIFA has no problems with separate national teams.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:31 am
I found the remark about the distance separating the two countries hilariously ignorant. The only distance separating England from Scotland is the width of an imaginary line on a map.
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:36 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
there exists a tool to open manhole covers, and should such a tool fall into the hands of an unscrupulous individual......

Maybe you know already but locks requiring a special "tool" like a pentagonal wrench, are not able to exclude isiots, it does slow em down . Often ,because folks who dump trash into infrastructure like waste or storm drains can merely be given some sort of impediments, which is often good enough to deter them.

I don't recall any cities even in some of our hillbilly cities (like Franklin or Charleston W Va) where people actually seek out sewers to clog with junk. We usually have trash receptacles and dumpsters so people either use stealth methods or they drive way out to the country and dump their junk along roadsides.

People are pigs all over. I cannot claim any "advanced sense of aesthetics" that prevents us from dumping junk but it seems like you folks are actually hunting out sewer culverts in which to jam that really annoying trash, we just litter the countryside in hopes that hiway crews will pick it up .
I imgine that the first time someone knows they've got a pooh plug is when the road floods.
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:40 am
@Setanta,
yeh you would , but that's cause you have no sense of style in language. You are pedestrian, more like a phonebook.

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 05:47 am
@farmerman,
You, apparently, have no geographical sense. Philadelphia is about 250 miles from Pittsburgh. Scotland and England are contiguous. But thanks for the laugh--you talking about style in language is really hilarious.
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 06:00 am
@Setanta,
it was intended more for a sense of scale set. I guess , from your mild derision that you are unable to support it. Oh well.
"In Britain, a hundred miles is considered far .In America a hundred years is considered old"
Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 06:03 am
@farmerman,
There was no "sense" in your scale. I guess you are unable to support that (whatever the hell that is supposed to mean--tell us again about style in language . . . Ah-hahahahahahahahahahaha.)
farmerman

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 06:05 am
@Setanta,
gesundheit.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 07:06 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
but it seems like you folks are actually hunting out sewer culverts in which to jam that really annoying trash,

I keep telling you I'm not Scottish.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2014 07:09 am
@farmerman,
It's still a ridiculous statement. The difference between America and Canada/Mexico is just a line on a map as well. You're still separate countries. (Note no inverted commas.) Monaco, Andorra and Liechtenstein are also separate countries despite being small.