Questions about changing mood

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 12:36 pm
I am generally a very bland individual. I tend to have a straight face and keep to myself. Don't have very strong social skills and tend to say the wrong things. What makes this worse is that when things aren't going well, my bad mood shows.
I know that skill doesn't come without practice. But people don't want to be around someone who is either emotionless, pissed or depressed.
I work in sales as well 11 hours a day, five days a week, which can also suffer from a poor mood.

What are some things that real, everyday people do to keep an upbeat mood on a shitty day? Or what would you suggest about ways to change my mood when things aren't right (for whatever reason)?

Advocate

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 01:10 pm
@PeteInHouston,
I am amazed that you work in sales. The successful salesmen I have known have all been upbeat and relatively diplomatic. Maybe a new occupation would help your bad outlook.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 02:26 pm
@PeteInHouston,
Exercise and sunlight. Seriously. Get outside for lunch hour and go for a walk. It doesn't have to be long and you don't have to go quickly. This will also help as it will remove you from a stressful environment, even if temporarily.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 02:30 pm
@PeteInHouston,
5-HTP

There are others of course Pete. Try Googling "over-the-counter mood meds" or the like
0 Replies

Peter Frouman

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 02:41 pm
@PeteInHouston,
I would suggest finding a therapist to provide cognitive behavioral therapy. It does take time and requires some work on your part (the therapist will likely give you "homework" assignments to work on between weekly or biweekly sessions) but could be very effective at improving your mood as well as your social skills. If you work 55 hours a week, it may be a challenge to fit it into your schedule but it's worth it.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 03:09 pm
This is the same fellow who first posted that he is love struck and mooning over his supervisor. He kissed her on the cheek in a gentlemanly fashion, he thinks she's into him then she ignores him. This guy needs to change jobs, or stay if he has medical coverage and get himself a good thearapist.

His mood swings are probably affected by his longings for the unattainable woman who tosses him a bone every now and then.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 03:23 pm
@glitterbag,
Pretty damn well skippy on that!
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 03:25 pm
@PeteInHouston,

In a word - MUSIC!

Go back, way back, and record a MP3 or CD with every upbeat song you ever knew and lay them down, plug in, and sing along (may I suggest learn the background singers' parts - It's the same old song, but you can stand the repetition because you are still working on the background
lyrics). If a girls look at you boppin', pull out one plug and ask..Don't you like the Steve Miller Band? And let the conversation begin. Very Happy
0 Replies