Advice For A Loner

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 12:54 pm
Hey Everyone,

It's Valentines Day once again and for me single awareness day. I'm going to be 22 years old in a month and I have never had a girlfriend, been on a date, or had a first kiss. I really feel like I have an empty spot in my life that a girlfriend would fill. I'm a caring person who doesn't swear and has always been respectful. I have religious beliefs, and although I don't go to church every Sunday I do pray multiple times every day. Girls just don't seem to like me. I spend a lot of time alone reading and watching tv. I'm social if I get asked into a conversation and people all think i'm really nice. I'm the shy type unless I get invited to something. Then I open up. There is this girl who was in my english class last semester that I really like. She came up to me and asked me to edit her paper. We got together and I helped her and we got to know each other. I have tried asking her to hang out with me and my friends multiple times, and I have tried inviting her out to dinner multiple times but always got told she was busy. I sent her a text a week ago and asked her if she would like to get together but never got a response back. I never told her I had an interest in her because it seemed clear she didn't have an interest in me. If she gave me the chance, I would take her out for a nice dinner and maybe watch a dvd together or go to a movie. There's not a day that goes by where I don't think about her. I just need someone who actually wants to spend time with me and not use me to get good grades. I've talked to other girls in my classes but our conversations always stop when the semester ends. I have never liked any of those other girls as much as the one from english class. I have a bunch of fun with my friends almost every week so I have a great life. We're more the quiet playing video games type than the rowdy partying type. We're all responsible and work hard in our classes.

I guess I'm not right for anyone out there..... Sigh.

I just want to know how the other singles out there survive and if they have any similar experiences. I'm not looking for dating advice because I'm realizing that a relationship probably isn't in my future. Girls probably just see me as that nice guy willing to help.

Anyway,

Happy Valentines day to those of you fortunate enough to have someone. I'm jealous! Smile

dalehileman

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 01:00 pm
@Forever Alone,
Hey Alone,

(1) You might have better luck condensing your wordy posting, then divide it into paras, with carriage return between

(2) It might help some of us if, without revealing anything critical to your ID, tell us about yourself
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 01:05 pm
@Forever Alone,
I suggest you get some counseling. Depending on where you live, there are female counselors who will help you with your personal life. It is worth a shot.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 01:16 pm
@Forever Alone,
Forever Alone wrote:
I guess I'm not right for anyone out there..... Sigh. ....

Bullshit. You just haven't met the right person yet.

Here's an idea. Consider a fishing metaphor. You fish in a pond with fish. And you use the right kind of bait. Plus you fish in the pond that contains the kind of fish you're looking for, e. g. if you want to catch salmon, you don't fish in a pond that's only stocked with tuna.

By going after every girl you've tutored, you're sending out a desperation vibe. You're also likely to get girls who, as you noted, only see you as a means of improving their GPA. So stop doing that.

School is a decent place to look for companionship, but it's not the only one out there. How about reconnecting with your church? Many houses of worship have some sort of activities for singles because they have an interest in their parishioners marrying someone within the faith. Try Meetup.com and see what kinds of clubs are meeting in your area. Meetup is used for all sorts of get-togethers and interests. There might be people who want to go bowling, or play role-playing games, or watch classic movies, or learn to cook, or whatever. Go after your own interests but consider similar ones, e. g. if there's no cooking group for you and that's what interests you, but there's a group for candy-making, try that instead. It's similar enough that there's bound to be a lot of crossover interest.

Talk to your family and friends. Maybe they know someone, or know someone who knows someone. Go into blind dates with an open mind and a sense of humor. Consider the personals, or meeting someone online.

But don't just wait for an invitation, because it is not going to come. You need to take chances in life, if you want to get this kind of relationship. It is not going to be delivered to you on a silver platter.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 01:23 pm
@Forever Alone,
My heart goes out to you. You are an introvert. Believe me things change. There as just as many attractive people( wether physically or otherwise) that are introverts as there are extroverts. Take chances no matter how awkward you feel doing it is my best advice. I have always found myself more attracted to introverts...so much to explore maybe?! My husband left a note on my car... That is how we met! I thought and still think him the sexiest man alive.
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 01:30 pm
@Forever Alone,
Advice? Don't be wishy-washy - you start the post with hope and end it with despair. Drop the despair.
You read and watch tv and only socialize when invited. Invite yourself to where women with your interests socialize.
You're a God-fearing man. Know that similar women are as inexperienced as you - they're out there, but you'll have to out there to find one.
AND STOP MOONING AND FANTASIZING OVER THAT GIRL, you're not in grade school anymore. If you want to fantasize - imagine being confident in yourself.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 05:22 pm
@Forever Alone,
Forever Alone wrote:
I really feel like I have an empty spot in my life that a girlfriend would fill.

I've been there. I was 22. It is a dangerous delusion. To explain: you may have an "empty spot" in your life, but is a serious error to think that you need to get a girlfriend to fill it. YOU need to fill it. If you don't, and fall gratefully into the arms of the first girl to look at you twice, it could be your late 20s or early 30s before you get clear of the trap, longer if you have kids. Sooner if she gets tired of filling your empty spot for you.

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 07:41 pm
As my father use to say " There's a lid for every pot " yours is out there.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2014 11:40 am
Loner, have you tried the Internet yet? I am meeting more and more people who have successfully met their spouse through use of it.
0 Replies