Death of a Hero - Pat Tillman

Lusatian

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:18 pm
Once again you attempt to desguise your initial resistance to the notion that an American soldier may actually be a hero. Only this time you revert to criticizing my "debate skills" and picking at semantics. e.g.:

Craven de Kere wrote:
Yes you did not use my name but you used the pronoun "you".

In English, the pronoun "you" when addressing me will almost always reference me thusly removing the need to address me by name.

Address this to the person you are agreeing with then. Close down the straw man factory

Now you are moving to the fallacy of equivocation Lusatian. But because you do not understand the implications of that logical fallacy we'll skip past it.

Well, I guess my debating skills aren't up to par with the official London Debate Association rules and regulations. Craven, your rants of straw men attacks and ad hominem statements is not going to make you look any smarter, to me at least. I already think you are smart so such posturing is redundant.

Craven de Kere wrote:
By that definition the 9/11 hijackers are all heroes.

Yes, they are. Read the post where I address that to Kickycan.

Craven, last two things. First, you know as well as I do that I never considered Jessica Lynch a "hero". I said that she was an acceptable publicity point in a political correct news war. For you to attempt to indicate this about me, even after all the other swipes, in the attempt to make me appear a sentimentalist is small and disappointing that you are lying about something that was express between us.

Secondly, why do you pretend that I don't know you? I've known just about every action you've commited throughout your life, and most of the thoughts and feelings you've had towards things. (You should know, you told me half of them). You would not leave fame and fortune to join the Army. Now you will say "of course not join the Army, but I may if I was doing what I thought was right."
And that my friend is exactly the point I made with my mocking your wavering comment on the "subjectivism of right". Your attempts to mock my point merely showed a rare lack of comprehension on your part. I will break it down:

Lusatian wrote:
Your comment on the "subjective matter of what is right" is a hilarious example of vacillation embodied in "freethinking". If you can't even pin down "something you think is right" you are incredibly anchorless. I said he left a life of fame and money to do what he believed to be right, then I compared it with us doing something similar.

In other words, Craven. If you can't respect leaving millions (which, you wouldn't) to do what YOU, Craven thought was right, based on "oh, well, you see, it is a subjective matter of what is right". Then you are anchorless because what YOU Craven think is right apparently is "subjective, yes, could be this, could be that, you know, you see ...".

Luck.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 04:42 pm
Lusatian wrote:
Once again you attempt to desguise your initial resistance to the notion that an American soldier may actually be a hero. Only this time you revert to criticizing my "debate skills" and picking at semantics.

Lusatian, "debate skills" is not like fencing or something. When I illustrate your use of logiocal fallacy it is a reference to elements that are crucial to critical thinking and is not mere nit-picking about style.

Quote:
Well, I guess my debating skills aren't up to par with the official London Debate Association rules and regulations. Craven, your rants of straw men attacks and ad hominem statements is not going to make you look any smarter, to me at least.

That is not the intent. The intent is to illustrate the deficiencies in the cognition through which you make your points here. Through elimination of such deficiencies your critical thinking is improved and the level at which we discuss things raised.

Quote:
I already think you are smart so such posturing is redundant.

Again, it's not about posturing (though it certainly can be part of a posture) but about the rigour of critical thought. Logical fallacies are not mere items of style. They represent logical deficiencies in arguments.

Quote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
By that definition the 9/11 hijackers are all heroes.

Yes, they are. Read the post where I address that to Kickycan.

Yeah, I saw that. That if anything should be an indication of how differently we treat heroism.

Quote:
Craven, last two things. First, you know as well as I do that I never considered Jessica Lynch a "hero".

I never said you did. I said we had the "hero" discussion when discussing her and that in that episode you were angry at my "cynical" rejection of what you consider to be heroic.

Quote:
For you to attempt to indicate this about me...

Note: I didn't.

Quote:
... even after all the other swipes, in the attempt to make me appear a sentimentalist is small and disappointing that you are lying about something that was express between us.

You've re-written the meaning of "lying" to include: "not lying but having the other person imagine that a lie was uttered".

Quote:
Secondly, why do you pretend that I don't know you?

That would be because you don't.

Quote:
I've known just about every action you've commited throughout your life, and most of the thoughts and feelings you've had towards things.

This is simply not true. Lusatian you have not been within 1,000 miles of me for the majority of my life.

Quote:
You would not leave fame and fortune to join the Army.

Neither would I leave certain levels of poverty to do so, but that was not the question.

But you are practicing revisionism.

You asked:

Quote:
Would we walk away from millions of dollars to do what we felt is right?

You did not ask whether we'd join the army. I would accept onion rings over the army and it need not be millions of dollars.

Lusatian you are being careless in debate. Your question was about leaving millions to dow aht is right, not about joining the Army (which as you damn well know has nothing to do with "right" by my estimation).

Quote:
Now you will say "of course not join the Army, but I may if I was doing what I thought was right."

Indeed.

Quote:
And that my friend is exactly the point I made with my mocking your wavering comment on the "subjectivism of right".

Huh? You have to have a point to point to it Lusatian. So what is this nebulous point?

Quote:
In other words, Craven. If you can't respect leaving millions (which, you wouldn't) to do what YOU, Craven thought was right, based on "oh, well, you see, it is a subjective matter of what is right". Then you are anchorless because what YOU Craven think is right apparently is "subjective, yes, could be this, could be that, you know, you see ...".

You are making preciosu little sense.

Let me spell it out for you.

I would think it noble to leave millions to do what I think is right. I would not necessarily think it noble to leave millions for what you think is right.

This si where subjectivity comes into question. What is right is subjective and we differ on it. This is why we will have different value judgements on what is and is not heroic.

1) I do not think anyone sacrificing for what they believe is noble.

2) Many people sacrifice for what I consider to be an ignoble cause.

While their dedication is admirable it's not something I feel compelled to consider heroic.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 05:04 pm
I take it you two were acquainted in a previous life.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 05:23 pm
We are conjoined twins.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 05:30 pm
They went to different high schools together.

Here's a nice comment from a local Phoenix bulletin board:

Quote:
Regardless of Pat Tillman's political affiliation, he was a hero. He was a volunteer. He had a sense of pride, dignity and honor that some of our neighbors will never understand. I think it's a miracle that this country, in the face of today's deliberately manipulated, narcissistic culture, still produces gentlemen like this.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:13 pm
Lusation, anyone who lives according to his/her values, to me, is a hero. Pat Tillman was an extraordinary young man for giving up so much in order to do what he thought was right, but those who chose not to go, to me, are also heroes.

I was around during the Vietnam War and knew many who burned their draft cards because they felt strongly that fighting an immoral war was against everything they believed in. These weren't the idiots who were flinging feces at returning vets, they were simple people doing what they thought was right. Knowing that they could go to jail, be vilifiled by their friends and family, made them men who had strong and honorable values.

I have a different take on heroism. Because of having two brothers with mental retardation and having worked with many people with developmental disabilities, my definition of heroism isn't what you would find in the dictionary.

Someone who gets up every day, goes to work (maybe hanging clothes at Good Will), putting up with taunts and insults everyday, having enough awareness that they will always miss out on the best of life according to all the commercials they see and the people they see who never see them, are and have always been, my heroes and my inspiration.

Wars are usually based on some form of corruption. If we need to defend ourselves from danger, war is justified, but not when we are acting as the world's cop. War is a fight for power and control.

Knowing that my brothers and others like them get up everyday and do their best despite impossible odds, has shown me, everyday of my life, what a real hero is all about.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:30 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
They went to different high schools together.

Here's a nice comment from a local Phoenix bulletin board:

Regardless of Pat Tillman's political affiliation, he was a hero. He was a volunteer. He had a sense of pride, dignity and honor that some of our neighbors will never understand. I think it's a miracle that this country, in the face of today's deliberately manipulated, narcissistic culture, still produces gentlemen like this.

This is to make the definition of hero to be so broad as to be meaningless. When the shooting starts, everyone is alone out there in a very real sense. Making it through the day could be a reasonable definition of being heroic in a combat zone. But what this man did, a thing full of honor and genuine selflessness of spirit, is nonetheless, absent any credible allegation of acting "above and beyond," is not different, no better, and certainly never worse, than what all of his fellow servicemen and -women do each day in the same circumstances. Because of his fame, his death is getting special attention. It does not defame his memory to point out that the hearts of hundreds of parents ache now, and the hearts of their families, as is the case with the loved ones of Mr. Tillman. If one's choice is to indulge a deeply sentimental reaction to this as heroism, i have no quibble with that. But in that case, one has cause for that sentiment every day. In Iraq and Afghanistan, such heroism is, sorrowfully, become a commonplace.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:40 pm
During WWII, Ted Williams of the Boston Red Sox and many other rich and famous people enlisted, too. Why? because it was a just war. A war worth sacrificing so much for.
Going after BinLaden would be very similar in the level of passion needed, but I have the feeling if this football player died in Iraq, this story would be a bit different. His parents would probably be majorly PO'd. Because then what did he die for?
A distraction, pretty much.
Although the way things are going, this could just turn into a world war itself.
I give the soldiers in Iraq credit for the fall of Saddam Hussein and for attempting to bring some semblance of sanity to the region, but I suspect many would rather have been placed in a position to go after the man who attacked America. I know I would prefer to fight in a just war, as opposed to a crazy president's folly.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:33 pm
<Gee, it's amusing to listen to Lusatian and Craven argue...>

I agree with Suzy that the conflict going on in Afghanistan seems much more justified than the one in Iraq, but it's not like a soldier gets to choose.

As for Pat Tillman, I'd never heard of him (I don't follow football). To me, it sounds like he chose to do something that his heart said was right. That is the stuff of heroes, just as Diane's brothers can be considered heroes in their willingness to keep trying to do the best they can despite the insults and difficulties.

I'm of two minds by the situation we find ourselves. I'm a peace-loving, liberal pacifist yet the mother of a son, 20 next month, who has become an ROTC cadet. I tried to convince him that it was a bad idea, but... surprisingly, he doesn't listen to his mum. Shocked

He sees the future as an endless round of fighting and peace-keeping and believes, I think, that guys like him need to join the military just to prove that there are a few "liberals" who are willing to go. He was influenced by a political science professor of his, a military reservist who has recently gone to Afghanistan with the specialty of "nation-builder." I don't know if I agree that we should be nation-building, but it is far better than ripping them apart.

Anyway, I am sorry that Pat Tillman died. He sounds like an extraordinarily self-less guy. I'll bet his wife wishes he'd been just a little more selfish. It's a sad story.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:35 pm
Oh, Jeez, Piffka.
I don't know what to say.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:48 pm
Nothing you can say, Suzy, he wouldn't listen to you either. (But I appreciate the thought.)

Every man and woman there has had to go through a similar round of decision-making. What made young Pat Tillman decide that this was what he had to do?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 07:55 pm
Piffka, I've been wondering what happened with your son. Was really hoping those Italian (Italian?) girls would work some magic on him. Sigh. And hugs.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 09:03 am
It seems that Tillman was 'probably' killed by friendly fire
0 Replies