Does " I would have very many to give out myself" mean...

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 10:15 am
Does " I would have very many to give out myself" mean "I wound have much chances to contribute"?

Context:

"It is a great privilege to receive the Medal of Freedom. Freedom is very important for scientists. We need freedom to develop our theories, and further our work. To exchange ideas, and communicate our discoveries to each other, and the public. We also need the freedom to raise ideas which are difficult, or which shake common perceptions of ourselves, or our place in the universe.

"In that, I am much more fortunate than some of my forebears in science.

"The astronomer, Galileo Galilei, was imprisoned by the Catholic church, for suggesting that the Earth went around the sun, rather than the other way round. He died under house arrest on 8th January 1642. I was born exactly 300 years later. If I had proposed some of my theories in the age of Galileo, I would definitely have spent much of my career behind bars. This would not have stopped me thinking about the universe, but it would have been much less comfortable for me. I’m proud to have been able to contribute to our understanding of the universe. I’m also glad that my work has reached a popular audience, because I believe it is important that the public should know, and have the chance to understand, the seemingly mysterious work of scientists. But this universe would be an empty place indeed, if I had not had the love and support of my family and friends. If there were medals for that, then I would have very many to give out myself.

"I would like to thank everyone who worked so hard to make this trip to Washington DC possible, and I would like to thank Dominick Chilcott, for hosting this party this evening to celebrate. Please join me in a toast, to Freedom."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 435 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:14 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
But this universe would be an empty place indeed, if I had not had the love and support of my family and friends. If there were medals for that, then I would have very many to give out myself.

If there were such a thing as medals to reward people for the love and support that they have given him, he would have very many to give (out).
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 11:15 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
... the love and support of my family and friends. If there were medals for that, then I would have very many to give out myself.
If there were medals for love and support, there are many people to whom I would give them.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 13 Feb, 2014 04:07 pm
@oristarA,
If there were medals for that,
-----------

Did you notice the word 'that', Ori? That means there has to
be an antecedent.
oristarA

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2014 02:17 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

If there were medals for that,
-----------

Did you notice the word 'that', Ori? That means there has to
be an antecedent.

It's too late. After reading McTag's answer, of course I got "that" immediately and forgot what it was like before reading MaTag's. Wink
0 Replies