They Don't Get Used to Dying When They Fall.

colorbook

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 09:39 pm
Every morning my home page takes me to the news, and everyday there are pictures of people sobbing for the loss of their children and families. I picture each family, waking from their sleep and getting the sad news that their loved one has perished. There are moments when I can feel and know their grief.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 10:50 am
Thank you for the poem, Joe. Yes, it is true, tears do remind our hearts that we are alive. With all the bad news, though, I could use a few more "heart sings" than heartbreaks. I seem to be surrounded by heartbreaks right now.

Our newspaper doesn't show the photos. It just lists the names & short obits. Unless the lost soldier is a local, then it gets front page treatment.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 11:02 am
The wall.
Going to the wall in Washington was overwhelming. The names. The rows of names. The people tracing their friends' names. The flowers tucked into crevices in the wall.
I can still feel that feeling in my stomach from approaching the wall.

The wall and the names had such a powerful effect. Much more meaningful to me than the statues of men with guns we find in so many small towns around here.

Thinking about how young so many of these men and women are. I know that if I'd met them, I'd have thought they were too young to make any important decisions yet.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 04:36 pm
Very powerful.
And they really were too young, imo.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:49 pm
My father, a WWII vet, always said they have to take them young. If they waited until they were full grown, they'd have too much sense to take orders.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 07:51 pm
The first time I sidled up to the wall I bawled like a baby...and the second time...and the third time...
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:01 pm
Me too. Crying or Very sad
And I feel the same as your dad, Eva.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:26 pm
the wall...I moved on from 1969-1970 and have led a pretty happy life, but I've never made it to the wall. I tried a couple or three times and once one of the vets who volunteers there offered to help. But it didn't happen.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:31 pm
the wall...there was such a battle over its design and yet when you see it you can't see it ever being different. One of the most powerful monuments I have ever seen.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:35 pm
Mourning for me is a private and personal thing, and I'm not afraid to cry when the moment moves me.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 08:38 pm
real Johnboy, maybe the moveable wall will come to your town.
I was surprised that it has the same impact.
Yeah, the design is perfect. I was thinking that, too. it couldn't be anything else.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 09:25 pm
It pains me that very few mourn for the innocent Iraqis that have been killed. They also have loved ones. Many were children - that pains me the most. c.i.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 10:11 pm
Me too, c.i.

Me, too.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 10:12 pm
I always think about the children.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2004 11:07 pm
I grieve about bombs: all the children, all the adults, all the villages, all the cities, all the countryside, all the earth.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 06:15 am
Still more gone today.

And yesterday too.

Do not let this day pass without at least a nod to the mothers.

The one's who are losing their children to this cause.

and

the ones who are in the middle of Iraq right now

with their children here at home.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 06:47 am
Quote:
Still more gone today.

And yesterday too.

Do not let this day pass without at least a nod to the mothers.

The one's who are losing their children to this cause.

and

the ones who are in the middle of Iraq right now

with their children here at home.

And still they fall, now over 800......

Joe
0 Replies