They Don't Get Used to Dying When They Fall.

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 08:06 am
I'm going to tell you something private about me.
I mourn each and every one of the fallen.
One by one.
Whenever I see their name.
I've been doing it since before I went to high school.
I saw a news item that said the 100th soldier had been killed in a place called Viet Nam. (It was two words then, not Vietnam...)

First, I read their entry, their little three line, four line, datasheet:

Rian Ferguson, 22, Taylor, SC.

They usually print the rank and outfit too.
I don't pay much attention to those.

Then I say: "I sorry you died, Rian."

I look at where they were from:

Mark Lawton was out of Hayden, Colorado.
Eddie Menyweather, was from LA.

I say: "The folks in Hayden will miss you, Mark."
I say: "LA's a quieter place without you, Eddie."

I say: "So sorry, man, so sorry, guy,"

And once in awhile now:

"So sorry, babe, sorry sorry, babygirl."

I don't give'em much time really, maybe thirty seconds, that's all.

Just read their name, see where they were from, grieve a little.

I think about what their lives were like,
what might have been for them if not for fortune,
their loves, their kids, their kid's kids.

Then I go about my life, but I never get used to the loss.

====
Long ago and far away, in late night breakfast joint in San Angelo, a poet friend of mine was in an argument about, what else?, the war, although this was the war with Chu Lai, DaNang and Long Binh in the paragraphs, when someone said "...that after six or seven years of this war the American people were getting used to it."
"Well," said Paul," the GI's, the GIreen's, the ones who are dying everyday, they don't get used to it. They don't get used to dying when they fall."
He put all that in a song, now lost, with him. About six months after the late night breakfast debate he and a crew went down in the Arctic Ocean while on a recon mission.

=====
I don't know why I'm telling you all this. The whole casket pictures thing is on the news this morning, but you can see the faces and the names every day right here :

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/world/iraq/casualties/facesofthefallen.htm

Say a word or two, would you?

Joe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,115 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 08:14 am
Ah, Joe. I do the same thing. I look at the face, or the name, and feel a silent cry welling up. Not necessarily for a death, but for the life that is missing.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:55 am
I am not an american, but seeing the daily list changed and added to is heartbreaking. All those young lives lost.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:02 pm
If I haven't said it lately, Joe, I apologize. I am so very proud to have you for a friend. Always have been. Always will.

Hey everybody! That's my friend, Joe.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:10 pm
Indian Joe, Eva, if you please Very Happy

Seriously, I can see why you are proud to be Joe's friend.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 12:39 pm
Very good Joe.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 01:14 pm
He's a hell of a writer. And a damn fine human being.

(I'm sorry for the profanity, Joe. I'm sure you could come up with better words.)
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:59 pm
Ah, Joe...
Your post brought tears to my eyes,
yet at the same time, a little smile.
It's nice to know that so many are giving a thought to these individuals whose lives have ended, and in such a personal way. I think that their famlies would appreciate that.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 08:14 pm
Letty, since we last talked about this, (I am not Indian.) I have discovered that my fourth great-grandmother, Minisiah Sally White, might have been a Cherokee, so maybe a teensy bit Indian, but no more.

I think you got confused from some of the things I wrote while vehemently defending the right of American Indians to sue for past violations of treaties. I'm on their side but not really from it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 08:21 pm
Eva, are you the reason Joe came to A2K?

If so, thanks.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 09:48 pm
Ah Joe, that's very heart-warming. I have a little burst of sadness everytime I read a name that no longer belongs to a live person. I have the same burst when I read of a person losing a limb too. I hate war more than I hate anything else in the universe.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 11:07 pm
No, soz, Joe is the reason I came to A2K. He invited me.

(Another reason for me to thank him.)
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 05:42 am
Aw, shucks Embarrassed
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 05:46 am
I guess Joe is ok.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:54 am
Ah, well then thanks, Joe!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 08:57 pm
So I guess what I was asking was :

How do you mourn our dead?

Joe
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:05 pm
A combination of tears and rage. Especially for the very young ones. I am still greatly upset about the young hostage. (It's worse when they're near the ages of any of my boys, which they mostly are).

You have a better way of handling it than I do. My way does nothing for their souls, and I think yours does. I'm grateful for that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2004 09:17 pm
``

Long ago and far away, in late night breakfast joint in San Angelo, a poet friend of mine was in an argument about, what else?, the war, although this was the war with Chu Lai, DaNang and Long Binh in the paragraphs, when someone said "...that after six or seven years of this war the American people were getting used to it."
"Well," said Paul," the GI's, the GIreen's, the ones who are dying everyday, they don't get used to it. They don't get used to dying when they fall."
He put all that in a song, now lost, with him. About six months after the late night breakfast debate he and a crew went down in the Arctic Ocean while on a recon mission.

``
That's a very sad story, Joe. I can never get used to the deaths, the wasted young lives, either. Nor the ones that come home, totally changed, forever ...

When will we ever learn?

``
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 02:01 pm
Sad to say, I don't mourn them. I try not to think of them at all. I know that isn't right, but when I do think of them, I simply can't bear it. It is too much.

I didn't want them there in the first place. Before the fighting ever started, I mourned the deaths, the injuries, the beautiful young men and women who would be forever scarred emotionally, the homes and businesses left in rubble, the families who would lose their hope, the mothers who would never hold their babies again...all of it. On both sides.

Now you've made me cry again. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 09:26 pm
Do cry a little.
Weep.
Tears tell your soul
there is still
someone
out there.

It has no other way
of knowing