San Francisco Bay Bridge - uh oh, again

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 05:34 pm
The new portion of the Bay Bridge has gone though a series of troubling problems, but this latest one could be big. Or maybe not - I'm no metallurgist (mentioned at the end of the article).

Story here:
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Hundreds-of-leaks-possible-corrosion-on-Bay-5222501.php

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,363 • Replies: 5
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 05:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Gonna wait for more info before trying to determine how bad the problem is - although it doesn't look good at this point.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 05:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, me too, hoping for the best outcome.
JTT

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 07:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Tacoma Narrows here we come again.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 08:15 pm
@JTT,
That rings a bell. I'll have to reread about it.
One thing that sings out to me re the difficulties at the Bay Bridge is I remember reading that the plans weren't followed, changed on purpose somewhere along the line in the various episodes. Not that plans are always right, but with this new part of the bridge, not following seems to have gone along with trouble happening.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Feb, 2014 11:45 am
@ossobuco,
Just heard on the radio this morning by a rep of the Bay Bridge. He said there's nothing to worry about; that they continually inspect the bridge, and it was constructed to prevent water from accumulating by having egress at strategic places. They can also mend problems pretty quickly.
0 Replies