Comma Usage

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 02:53 am
I'm writing this short paper and I've used this very odd sentence structure that I can find no way to reword effectively; however, I can't really come to terms on how to place the commas. So as not to bore anyone with the technical details of my paper, I've substituted the content but kept the first word after each comma the same:

"If I throw an apple at you, then can you tell on me, forcing me to go to detention today?"

The main structure is as follows:

"If [action phrase], then [interrogative phrase], [implied result of action and interrogative phrase]?"

e.g. If [I jump], then [will you kick me in the chest], [causing me to fall and break my arm]?
e.g. If [he talks to her again], then [will you tell me], [so that way I have a reason to beat him up]?

My concern is the second comma. It feels right in spoken word, but it looks incorrect in written form.

Sorry for all the violent phrases.
Thanks for your input!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 737 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by deadrxn24
dalehileman
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:03 pm
@deadrxn24,
Well, Dead, it's somewhat OT, but, for what it's worth, probably not much, and assuming my presumptions, such as they are, are valid, then

If I decide to jump, then will you first please kick me in the chest, hard as you can, in the hope of causing me to fall and break my arm, so that when I actually take the plunge, my insurance carrier will assume the fracture was not caused by a humanoid, in which case, I've been advised, I'd be ineligible

or

Stick around, Deal, if at all feasible, so if If I decide that jumping is my only alternative, then I will stand at the edge facing you, whereupon first break my arm using that handy treetrunk, then please kick me in the chest, hard as you can, in the hope of not only causing me to fall; but if I stand just above that preeminence, making it appear that the fall also breaks my arm, so that after I've actually take the plunge, my insurance carrier will assume both fractures were accidental, not caused by a humanoid, that is, in which case, I've been advised, I'd have been ineligible; whereas given both injuries as accidental, it might double; waiting, however, since I might not survive, 'til I finish this bottle of Pilsner Urquell

Ideal wording depending, of course, on exact context. Of course Dead, that is, I'm somewhat pulling your leg, I think

Most commas optional

Edited to remark re "If [he talks to her again], then [will you tell me], [so that way I have a reason to beat him up]?" I'd have omitted "that way" as somewhat redundant

Commas still optional
deadrxn24

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 02:43 am
@dalehileman,
Well, Dale, that certainly was an interesting response. I don't think there was that much to imply, but the first one is probably the closest to the intended meaning.

I think, as you mention that the comma is optional, leaving it in would be just that much clearer for my purpose.

I appreciate the response and the... I guess "satire" is the best word to use.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 01:28 pm
@deadrxn24,
Quote:
Well, Dale, that certainly was an interesting response.
Why thank you Dead. It was fun

Quote:
I don't think there was that much to imply, but the first one is probably the closest to the intended meaning.
So I had assumed

Quote:
I think, as you mention that the comma is optional, leaving it in would be just that much clearer for my purpose.
I might proceed thus:

If I decide to jump then will you first please kick me in the chest, hard as you can, in the hope of causing me to fall and break my arm. Thus when I actually take the plunge my insurance carrier will assume the fracture was not caused by a humanoid. In (which) that case, I've been advised, I'd be ineligible

Quote:
I appreciate the response and the... I guess "satire" is the best word to use.
Dead at your service

Forgive pun
0 Replies