2

Would my depression / loneliness have an effect on my sleeping and my dreams?

DanB114

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 03:47 pm
So for a long time now I have felt very depressed and lonely and I somewhere that when some people feel lonely or depressed they go to sleep hugging a pillow to cast the illusion of someone else being there. At first I though this was kind of crazy but I went ahead and tried it and it was one of the best nights sleep I have had in a long time. I have been doing this every night now for months and recently I have been saying to myself "I have to stop doing this, it isn't healthy". So last night I didn't use a pillow and 3 times that night I had the same dream. You know the one, where your falling and you don't know why then you wake up and you feel like you actually were falling and you just landed in your bed. I post this because I was wondering, is there any chance this bad nights sleep is a result of me giving up using a pillow to try and suppress my depression / loneliness?

neologist

3  
Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 06:30 pm
@DanB114,
If hugging a pillow works for you, it's cheaper than Ambien. Sounds OK to me.

2  
Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 06:44 pm
@DanB114,
You already know the answer to this question. The pillow is a coping mechanism (like thumb sucking to a baby... and no I'm not calling you a baby). Coping mechanisms bring physiological/placebo effects to the people who use them. That's why they work.

It's not a certain guarantee that the dreams were caused by the removal of your personal coping mechanism but I bet there's a likely correlation between the two things.

Regardless of whether you continue using your pillow at night to help you cope with your loneliness and depression, you shouldn't expect it to be a cure-all. You need help beyond that coping mechanism. One day you just might find that sleeping with the pillow at night just might not provide the comfort it used to.

You need to get professional help. Someone to talk to. Talk therapy, antidepression meds, etc.... Seriously. Don't put getting help off for long.