Does "environmental cues" mean "environmental clues"?

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 02:35 am

Context:

Brain circuits have evolved to encourage behaviors proven to help our species survive by attaching pleasure to them. Eating rich food tastes good because it delivers energy and sex is desirable because it creates offspring. The same systems also connect in our mind's environmental cues with actual pleasures to form reward memories.

More:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130825171530.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,036 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oristarA

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 10:54 am
@oristarA,
I wonder if this question is so hard?
parados
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 7 Feb, 2014 11:24 am
@oristarA,
In this case the word cues means signals.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:06 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

I wonder if this question is so hard?

Good. Thanks.

But I failed to understand "The same systems also connect in our mind's environmental cues with actual pleasures to form reward memories."

"In our mind's environmental signals"? Hard to get this.
If it is written as "in responding to our mind's environmental signals", it seems easy to grasp. But still not crystal clear.
oristarA

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 01:48 am
@oristarA,

In addition, what does "cue" mean in the context below?

Quote:
"We observed an important distinction, not in circuitry, but instead in the epigenetic regulation of that circuitry between natural reward responses and those that occur downstream with drugs of abuse or psychiatric illness," said Jeremy Day, Ph.D., a post-doctoral scholar in Sweatt's lab and first author for this study. "Although drug experiences may co-opt normal reward mechanisms to some extent, our results suggest they also may engage entirely separate epigenetic mechanisms that contribute only to addiction and that may explain its strength."

To investigate the molecular and epigenetic changes in the VTA, researchers took their cue from 19th century Russian physiologist Ivan Pavlov, who was the first to study the phenomenon of conditioning. By ringing a bell each day before giving his dogs food, Pavlov soon found that the dogs would salivate at the sound of the bell.
parados

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 10:22 am
@oristarA,
The sentence is structurally hard to grasp. I believe it is referring to how the mind's signals work by giving pleasure rewards.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 10:24 am
@oristarA,
Quote:
To investigate the molecular and epigenetic changes in the VTA, researchers took their cue from 19th century Russian physiologist Ivan Pavlov,

In that case cue means prompt. The earlier research prompted what they should do with the later research.
oristarA

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 10:34 am
@parados,
Cool.
Thanks.
0 Replies