The present is eternity..

najmelliw

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 03:17 pm
Present is a very convenient word, used to define a broad and ever changing category of circumstances and events that happen around us at a specified time X. This set of circumstances and events differs not only in time, but also for each observing individual.

Isn't this kind of like giving a definition from a different point of vew? Like the person in the car, and the person outside of the car?

The one inside thinks he remains stationary, while the rest of the world flies by.
The one outside the car feels that he stands still, while the car drives by.

U could also say that we people move through time, as is the common definition.
The other definition is that time, namely the present, stands still while everything constantly changes.
Is this what you were looking for?
Naj.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2004 06:32 pm
Extra Medium, yes I remember that one. It reminds me of the saying: If you want to make God laugh just tell him your plans.
0 Replies

ReX

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 01:54 pm
Then there would have been more truth to simply saying that there is more reality in the present because it is what IS. Not what is yet to be or what was. Don't tell me that would have been to elaborate or obscure because I've noticed you fear the use of neither Smile

I personally am the quote freak myself (please do not ask or tell me to visit the quote section, it has little use to me) and have repeatedly thought of the following quotations whilst reading all this:

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once

Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who read too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.

I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
--Albert Einstein

Why say it differently when it's already been said, by much wiser men than I?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 04:00 pm
Rex Smile
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2004 05:35 pm
JL, I think God laughs at us anyways. We don;t particularly need to communicate our plans to him for that. I feel that's positive anyways. Better that he laughs at us then that he cries for us anyways.

Very Happy

Naj
0 Replies

ReX

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 05:58 am
I am open to the possibility of a 'god'. But my definition leaves no room for judging. From neither side. Please forgive my unchristian view that god does not need to forgive nor does he laugh with us. He is amused at most.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 09:17 am
Let's hope he is, Rex ;-)
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 09:23 am
since we are waxing philosophical here, consider:

the concept of 'god' is a metaphor for 'us'.

[if we cannot laugh at ourselves, who will?]
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 02:56 pm
Quote from Rex:
"Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its creative pursuits. Any man who read too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking."

Rex, this is precisely why I appreciate these A2K opportunities to think and talk with you guys. I will not reduce my reading, even at my advanced age, but I can at least balance it with a modicum of thinking and writing here. Now that I am no longer in the profession of thinking and writing, this process keeps my brain from turning to mush. As far as I am concerned it is the most valuable benefit of the internet revolution.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 04:27 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
since we are waxing philosophical here, consider:

the concept of 'god' is a metaphor for 'us'.

[if we cannot laugh at ourselves, who will?]

I like that, BoGoWo. Humor is one ingredient sorely lacking in most religions. A person laughing at himself is an act of humility. Humility is spirituality.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 08:18 am
coluber2001 wrote:
.......Humility is spirituality.

Laughing
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2004 04:33 pm
Interesting equation. I would suggest that the causal arrow points both ways. It takes humility to mature spirituallly and spiritual maturity generates and maintains humility. But what do we mean by humility (not to mention spirituality). I see it as an ability to see oneself as one is, not as a depreciated or a grandious one. Humility is a kind of disinterested objectivity regarding oneself.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 12:31 am
Humility and spirituality are inversely proportional to the strength of our ego—the degree to which we take our self-image seriously. Some take it so seriously that they think it never ends—soul. Others see it as a river flowing—egoless people.

I see it as a play, a drama. I take it seriously, but deep down I know it's a play, and it will be over some day.

I read one Zen guy who called human consciousness a drop of water temporarily separated from the stream going over a cliff as a waterfall.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 08:58 am
brings up one of my favourite quotes - from "Bladerunner" or "do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" Philip K. Dick

the android, aware that his 'time' is running out, and will soon end, philosophizes about life's experiences (he is more 'realistic' about the nature of memory):

"and all those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 09:13 am
Rutger Hauer in his finest moment.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 09:14 am
absolutely!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 12:58 pm
In Startrek Voyager Data's finest moment: "...when you cut me do I not leak?"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 01:08 pm
Laughing Nice one JL. I might posit the theory that the present is eternity only to the suicidal, or those forced to work in cubicles.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 03:15 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Laughing Nice one JL. I might posit the theory that the present is eternity only to the suicidal, or those forced to work in cubicles.

The present is also eternity for those stuck in a rush hour freeway traffic jam desperately needing to use the bathroom.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2004 03:26 pm
I am eternally grateful for this present moment when I can say to myself, thank the lord I don't drive.
0 Replies