Before us rising strong and bright,
Is the future, urgently waiting.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 03:17 pm
"Pushed by the past and pulled by the future, never a moment of peace."
Wonderful.

Neither past nor future, only peace.

Witness the optimism of the BoGoWo's futurism.

Oh how Tywvel pushes the envelop.

(edited)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 03:18 pm
Between my buttcheeks, searing pain
Endlessly contracting,
The future could be filled with gain,
if only my bowels were acting.

And so, once again, future goals are tugged at by present needs.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 03:25 pm
Oh, Cav. You're such a romantic.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 03:28 pm
It is our gift of self-knowledge that elevates the act of taking a dump from mere instinct to a revealation of truth regarding living in the moment, JL.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 04:34 pm
why is it Cav; that it is always subsequent to my posts the your errant bowels take flight! Shocked
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 04:46 pm
I'm so relieved to hear you say that, BoGoWo. I thought it was me.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 04:47 pm
Don't get me wrong, your poem was lovely Bo. There are days however, when I do wish my bowels would take flight. Nothing puts off the future more than a hard mean turd stuck in your lower intestine. Laughing Okay, I promise, no more toilet humour in this thread from me.

Bo, I do actually have a serious question. While your vision of futurism is indeed optimistic and inspiring, you do have to admit that it is only what one does in the present that shapes the future, yes? So, in a sense, one still by necessity must exist in the present to alter the future. I don't see how one can logically live in the future.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 05:01 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I'm so relieved to hear you say that, BoGoWo. I thought it was me.

actually it's Cav's "relief" we seek! Twisted Evil

information overload, information overload, information overload, information overload, information overload, information overload, information overload, information overload, information overload!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 05:04 pm
Much better now. Fibre does wonders. So, Bo, what about my real question?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 05:05 pm
cavfancier wrote:
...........Bo, I do actually have a serious question. While your vision of futurism is indeed optimistic and inspiring, you do have to admit that it is only what one does in the present that shapes the future, yes? So, in a sense, one still by necessity must exist in the present to alter the future. I don't see how one can logically live in the future.

i use a little scotch and a bit of gin, mixed with a dash of angostura bitters, all shaken into an iced glass previously 'primed' with brandy.

tastes like hell Sad but jolts you at least three weeks ahead! Rolling Eyes Shocked

[know any good liver doctors?]
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 07:55 pm
cav, is that short for cavity? No offense, only at times you sound like one:)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 08:23 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
cav, is that short for cavity? No offense, only at times you sound like one:)

It's simply my rakish nature. Actually, it's short for cavfancier, my screen name.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 11:43 am
I've noticed, cavfancier. Just couldn't restrain myself...

But about the subject. I have tried to explain my viewpoints to some of my friends, but they seem unable or unwilling to understand. I suspect the latter. Anyway, this has set me to thinking that time, and the understanding of its nature, is similar to the question of god. Time is something most of us believe in, because it is a scientifically explained and approved idea. There are scientists working seriously on the subject of timetravel. Can we not call them fanatics? Faith is not what they call their zeal, but is it not faith that is disguised in the methodical scepticism they hold so dear? It is like when you meet a satanwhorshiper and you go: "Oh, so you're a christian", and he goes, "Hell no!" Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 11:53 am
Cryacuz, I wonder if the "time" variable used in physics is the same as the time we ordinarily sense in everyday experience. It seems that the physcist's T is far more technical and limited in nature, more involved with the equally problematical notion of space. Our everyday notions of duration, eternity, and the like fit quite well into our religious, philosophical, historical and poetical constructions. T does not
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:21 pm
I think I understand JL. But isn't T just yet another deity, in our newest religion, currently in fashion? I've stated before that I see little difference between modern science and conventional religion, and the subject of time is one reason I have this opinion. The language is changed, and so is the frame of mind, but only to suit our ever more inquisitive nature.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:30 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
I've noticed, cavfancier. Just couldn't restrain myself...

But about the subject. I have tried to explain my viewpoints to some of my friends, but they seem unable or unwilling to understand. I suspect the latter. Anyway, this has set me to thinking that time, and the understanding of its nature, is similar to the question of god. Time is something most of us believe in, because it is a scientifically explained and approved idea. There are scientists working seriously on the subject of timetravel. Can we not call them fanatics? Faith is not what they call their zeal, but is it not faith that is disguised in the methodical scepticism they hold so dear? It is like when you meet a satanwhorshiper and you go: "Oh, so you're a christian", and he goes, "Hell no!" Smile

Well, your post is a tad disjointed, but I see your point. I have to ask, it seems like you are approaching this question from a Christian point of view, perhaps spiced with a touch of prosletyizing zeal. I hope that is not the case, and that you are willing to talk about the scientific view as well. To me, the possibilty of time travel is as intriguing as the idea of the existence of god.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 03:41 pm
Yes, my post is disjointed. I do not have a christian viewpoint in general, but in this post I realize that you are absolutely right. I was attempting to show similarities between science and religion, not to favor any. I think I failed to some extent... Confused But I am willing to talk about the scientific views as well, although my competense in the various sciences may be lacking. Anyway, when I say that timetravel is impossible I mean that it is illogical based on my personal understanding of time. But this understanding is more of a philosofical nature than a scientific one...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 03:47 pm
Scientifically, time travel is within the realm of possiblilty. Philosophically, it is the same. When it comes to religion however, I am not sure.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 06:35 pm
I do not see science as another religion. Scientism, perhaps. Science, to me is merely the most efficient and effective way to acquire empirical knowledge. Wisdom is another matter.
0 Replies