Why Can't People Talk in Complete Sentences Anymore?

JTT

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 06:07 pm
@McTag,
That's a steaming pile of McTagshit. You left Bella Dea hanging high and dry. The more difficult the language issues become, which isn't at all hard to happen to you, the more obscure your answers or you simply flat out disappear.
McTag

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:12 am
@JTT,

You seem to try these days to muscle in on other people's conversations. Is that because no-one will talk to you because you write
Quote:
small-minded, bitchy, supercilious, point-scoring stuff.

Most probably.

As far as my remark to Bella, you will see that I have identified myself as being in a minority of one, even among my more intelligent friends.
Doesn't mean I'm wrong, though. Wink
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 06:15 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

You seem to try these days to muscle in on other people's conversations.
Is that because no-one will talk to you because you write
Quote:
small-minded, bitchy, supercilious, point-scoring stuff.
U can decide for yourself
whether anyone is complicit
in perpetuating his perpetration.
McTag

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 08:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,

Quote:
U can decide for yourself
whether anyone is complicit
in perpetuating his perpetration.

I myself do take issue with some of his more egregious or offensive remarks. My bad, as the Americans say.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 08:48 am
@Bella Dea,
Quote:
Actually, it's funny you bring that up David because that is how my daughter is being taught right now in school. They encourage phonetic spelling in kindergarden and the early stages of first grade. I don't know if it's because they want to encourage independent writing or what. I figured it was damaging to have them learn a word the wrong way but I'm not a teacher so what do I know.

I am a teacher and I was a visitor in a second grade class last week learning about the 'common core' curriculum and how it's implemented. The teacher assigned a subject for which each child had to write a three to five sentence paragraph in response. Each child then brought their journal up, read it aloud to the teacher and I (which actually was necessary because some of their spelling was indecipherable) and then the teacher circled and corrected the incorrectly spelled words and sent them back to their desks.
I figured at this point she'd have them rewrite the paragraph with correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. But no - there wasn't time - we were on to the math lesson.
I know I was taught that to read silently, say aloud and then write information or correctly spelled words was a good way to reinforce and integrate learning. In my mind, she was skipping the most important and reinforcing step.

I have to say, I couldn't teach this way - not laying down a firm foundation and speeding through the various steps and layers of learning without making sure the basics were thoroughly covered and mastered. It made me sad for the little ones who were sitting there obviously confused and overwhelmed, having never even learned yet what a complete sentence was and being told to write thee or five of them.

My brother was learning disabled- I wasn't. All I could think while I was observing this class was that it was as if George and I were sat down next to each other, given the same learning task and the same amount of time and instruction in which to do it. That's what they do these days. For the smart kids, great - they would have learned it on their own anyway. For the slower learners - oh well...there's no time in the day or space in the curriculum to cater to them.

But I will tell you - I do understand now why I see high school students who can't read the biology text books. I left that day feeling sorry for these kids - ALL of them - smart and not so smart because it just seems like everything is rushed through and covered quickly and in a slap-dash fashion.

aidan

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 08:58 am
@aidan,
And I DO know I should have written that the students read their sentences to the teacher and 'me'. See what I mean? Everyone needs time to reread and go over their work and the opportunity to correct it.
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 09:50 am
@aidan,
You chose X and I because it was a perfectly natural thing to do,Aidan. When ENLs do perfectly natural things you know that they are part of the grammar of English.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 09:52 am
@McTag,
Another steaming pile of McTagshit. You left Bella Dea hanging high and dry. The more difficult the language issues become, which isn't at all hard to happen to you, the more obscure your answers or you simply flat out disappear.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 12:34 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
And I DO know I should have written that the students
read their sentences to the teacher and 'me'. See what I mean?
Everyone needs time to reread and go over their work and the opportunity to correct it.
Hi, Rebecca. Did u acquire an English accent yet ?

David
Bella Dea

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:01 pm
Ok, well my bitching thread turned into an English debate.

That's fine. I know I am by no means perfect at English and I am sure I could stand to learn to some things. There are so many rules that are no longer followed or rules that we are simply never taught. I just can't stand the butchery of the language now. You don't have to be a grammar nazi to appreciate and enjoy language. I love words. I always have and rarely will you find me shying away from a word.

However, there are basic rules that I just feel like you should follow. I suppose these are all my personal preference. I, like everyone else, cherry pick the rules I follow daily and those I only follow when writing or speaking formally. I also think text speak is very childish looking. I think, for the most part, adults should write like adults.

I believe that you play the game they way you practice the game. Look how spellcheck has ruined the ability to spell. How many people still say things like "I seen it."? I can't stand that phrase. I am particularly hard on my daughter and correct her all the time when she uses a word incorrectly or mispronounces a word (in a way that is truly unacceptable rather than a regional issue).

I am much more forgiving in text with commas and such. I can accept the occasional "ain't" simply because ain't seems appropriate in some circumstances.

What I'm saying is that it's annoying that non native English speakers speak and write English far better than the majority of native English speakers and that's a shame.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:31 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:
What I'm saying is that it's annoying that non native
English speakers speak and write English far better than the majority
of native English speakers and that's a shame.
Its hard to figure out their accents, tho.

Last nite, Ringo Star 's accent was GONE
when he started singing. He sounded like
he was from the American South, or South America.

David
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That's maybe because he's lived over there for so lomg.

My mum was from New Zealand, and moved to England when she was 12.
To me, she sounded completely English, unless she was speaking with a fellow New Zealander, then she would revert.

Put Ringo in a room with a few scousers and he would no doubt do the same.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:45 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I wonder what a scouser is.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:46 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ringo would know. (So would google)
JTT

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:51 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella: That's fine. I know I am by no means perfect at English and I am sure I could stand to learn to some things.

-----

You sure could, Bella.

Bella: There are so many rules that are no longer followed or rules that we are simply never taught. I just can't stand the butchery of the language now.

--------------

That's one of the things you could learn. Most of those rules that you think are rules aren't. You should learn just how truly complicated language is and how it is debased by people advocating that it is falling to pieces. That is an old often repeated canard that has been around for centuries.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

But while it is understandable that speakers of a language with a literary tradition would tend to be pessimistic about its course, there is no more hard evidence for a general linguistic degeneration than there is reason to believe that Aaron and Rose are inferior to Ruth and Gehrig.

It is absurd even to talk about a language changing for the better or the worse
Most of my fellow linguists, in fact, would say that it is absurd even to talk about a language changing for the better or the worse. When you have the historical picture before you, and can see how Indo-European gradually slipped into Germanic, Germanic into Anglo-Saxon, and Anglo-Saxon into the English of Chaucer, then Shakespeare, and then Henry James, the process of linguistic change seems as ineluctable and impersonal as continental drift. From this Olympian point of view, not even the Norman invasion had much of an effect on the structure of the language, and all the tirades of all the grammarians since the Renaissance sound like the prattlings of landscape gardeners who hope by frantic efforts to keep Alaska from bumping into Asia.

http://www.pbs.org/speak/speech/
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 05:52 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I hope thay don t bite.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 08:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Hi David - maybe a little bit. I do hear that I pronounce short a's (as in words like bath and half) differently than I used to, and when someone asks me my birthday I say the 23rd of March now instead of March 23.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 08:53 pm
@Bella Dea,
Quote:
Why Can't People Talk in Complete Sentences Anymore?

I believe it has a lot to do with understanding.
anonymously99stwin

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 08:56 pm
@anonymously99stwin,
She says I think I'm starting to see.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 11 Feb, 2014 02:19 am
@aidan,
DAVID wrote:
aidan wrote:
Hi David - maybe a little bit.
I do hear that I pronounce short a's (as in words like bath and half) differently than I used to, and when someone asks me my birthday I say the 23rd of March now instead of March 23.
Well, we say: "the 4th of July!"

David
0 Replies