The 50 States survey

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:07 am
@parados,
Quit wasting cyber space trying to inform JTT of anything. He has only one message that's he's already repeated ad nauseum. Don't feed this troll.
JTT

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:22 am
@parados,
You're paradosing yet again,parados. USA governments have never cared how or where they establish their extermination camps, they just seek the most effective ways of exterminating innocents.

It's tribute to your caring nature that you engage in your paradosing which is really nothing more than providing excuses for the vicious war crimes and terrorist actions of successive USA governments.

USA governments did indeed use extermination camps to exterminate Native Americans. The numbers speak for themselves, mr goebbels.

You hypocritically chide others for avoiding the facts when you are the equal of the sum total of Coldjoint, h20man, okie, ... .

You oughta get one of those congressional medals of dishonour.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 11:27 am
@cicerone imposter,
CI, why do you ignore the massive massive numbers of USA war crimes and acts of terrorism and focus so diligently on the relatively much much smaller number of Israeli war crimes/acts of terrorism?

Why do so many of your fellow travelers in crime, like parados, ignore them both? Why does parados take such active steps to downplay USA war crimes and terrorism?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 12:45 pm
I've been to 44 states. The states I haven't been to are:

Washington (state)
Idaho
Alaska
New Mexico
Nevada
Utah

I was born in Texas, but my father was transferred to the NY office (Buffalo and then NYC) when I was a preschooler. I grew up in New Jersey and we drove from NJ to Texas every summer to see the grandparents and kinfolk. We camped along the way as there were six kids and a dog and a hotel just wouldn't have been practical- so we covered a lot of states that way. My Dad loved to travel and camp so we pretty much covered all parts of the east coast from Canada to Florida and out west to Texas several times by the time I was ten years old.
When my kids were little, we lived in Maine for twelve years and we loved to camp too so we drove from Maine to Wyoming (Yellowstone) several times - going across Canada on the way there and back across the United States on the way back. We also drove from Maine to Florida (camping along the way) and from Maine to Texas several times.
Last Spring I drove out to pick my son up from his job in Vail, Colorado- leaving from New York. I'll do the same this Spring and plan to spend time in New Mexico, Nevada and Utah. In the summer, we're going to Vancouver for a conference and will rent a car and drive up to Anchorage. And yes, I do know it's a 23 hour trip one way.
There's nothing I love better than a road trip - especially to someplace I've never been before.
I'm hoping to have visited all 50 states by the end of this year.

(My Dad took us on a family vacation to Hawaii the year I graduated from college, so I saw Hawaii that way).
farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 01:04 pm
@aidan,
I was only in Indiana once in my years. (Nothing interesting there except eurypterids).
North Dakota has not been a favorite destination as well as Nebraska.

My favorite states are Maine , New Mexico and ALaska. (In that order)
JTT

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 01:13 pm
@farmerman,
Farmer: My favorite states are Maine , New Mexico and ALaska. (In that order)

What about Guatemala, Nicaragua and Panama, Farmer? Or the Philippines?

Wouldn't it be grand if you could have got Vietnam or Cambodia or Laos to join the union?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 05:44 pm
@farmerman,
Maine is one of my favorites too. Love the ways in which it's so different from the rest of the US and sort of a little country unto itself.
I also love New York, upstate and the city, North Carolina, Florida and the coastal areas of South Carolina and Georgia.
East Texas is beautiful - but I'm glad I didn't grow up there for various reasons.
I am glad I grew up in New Jersey - as I enjoyed the diversity and my life there as a child, but you really couldn't pay me to live there as an adult. I got out when I was eighteen and never looked back.
I loved Wyoming and South Dakota - yeah, North Dakota and Minnesota didn't really impress me - I thought it got sort of beautiful again in Wisconsin.
The Midwest never really drew me, but I don't know if it was the time of day or quality of the light the day and night I spent in Iowa last Spring, but I fell in love with it. At certain moments it reminded me of England. I also loved the spaciousness and quality of light and air in Kansas and Nebraska, but yeah, Indiana didn't really strike a chord.
I fell in love with Arizona and am looking forward to seeing New Mexico and Utah soon.
Hawaii is amazing - the people and scenery are sort of uniformly beautiful and inviting.
I can't wait to see Alaska. I have a feeling it will be a new favorite.
farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 08:17 pm
@aidan,
Alaska is another planet. Its amazing how long you have to spend travelling over breath taking wilderness just to get to where you want to go.

Arizona , IMHO is like California. People are going to have this once beautiful state really hogged up with "RUBURBANIZATION" cut out of the desrt basins and ranges.

Yuma is one of the hottest places Ive ever been that still contains

people. And Iveworked for months in the Afar of Africa

I agree about Maine being another country, and Aroostook and Washington Counties have often talked about secession from the rest of the state.
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 07:11 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Yuma is one of the hottest places Ive ever been that still contains people. And Iveworked for months in the Afar of Africa

Ain't that the truth. We have to go there to play soccer occasionally, and it's like Africa Hot.

http://i.imgur.com/YVGQIJo.png
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Feb, 2014 07:49 pm
I bean in Yuma. But only to get to the other side.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 01:18 pm
@aidan,
Although the only state I have never visited is Vermont, I can't help but notice how few folks here have been to Idaho. Actually, for us in the central Idaho mountains, that may not be a bad thing. We don't have room for all the folks who would want to move here once they have seen it.
chai2

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 01:24 pm
@CowDoc,
I didn't put Idaho on my list, as I just passed through on the way to Oregon.

I remember it was beautiful.
Linkat

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2014 01:57 pm
@chai2,
Me too - but I drove through on my way to Washington.
0 Replies

Ben Grizby

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 04:14 pm
I have always wanted to visit Nebraska, specifically the southwestern region of the state. As far as how many states I have been in . . . don't recall.
chai2

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 05:01 pm
@Ben Grizby,
I agree Ben.
Once you've seen Benkelman, you can die happy.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe35Hcwnh2ck61R-LH4ECP5nyjJSimx5eUn1l4l5wfbC27mV2A
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 09:59 pm
@Ben Grizby,
Ben Grizby wrote:
I have always wanted to visit Nebraska, ...

Are you serious?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:09 pm
@Ticomaya,
I went through Nebraska, once. Didn't pause a minute.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:17 pm
Back in the late fifties when I was in the USAF and was being transferred to Morocco, I took the train from Oakland to NYC.

That's one of the reasons why I spent two days in NYC in September after my cruise from Copenhagen to NYC. I was able to go into Grand Central Station that held memories of my youth. That place never changes.

The main hall.
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag215/Tak_Nomura/2014-09-27045_zps46b7da2f.jpg
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2014 10:28 pm
If rolling through on a train counts I have missed Alaska, Hawaii, Arkansas, Oklahoma and North Carolina
0 Replies