The 50 States survey

Sturgis

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 11:47 pm
@tsarstepan,
Born in New York City, live here now
Raised in New York and in Vermont, spent time in Saratoga Springs as well and a few other places in the state of NY
Summer camp in Connecticut
Briefly lived in Washington, Pennsylvania- just a few miles from Pittsburgh which I've gone back to several times, outside of New York, I love Pittsburgh most. Yeah, even more than Rutland as there's more to do.
Spent some time in Virginia, Waynesboro
Some time in New Mexico- mostly Santa Fe
3 strange weeks in southwest Missouri- Carthage
A couple of weeks in Chicago, Illinois- got snowed and iced in, slept 2 nights at Union Station
A few months in Arkansas- not wise to show up at the beginning of summer, it gets horribly hot and steamy
A little more than a month in Terre Haute, Indiana- like the place it's comfortable but I'd never live there.
A couple of overnighters and weekends in New Jersey
Also been to D.C. a few times, and slept there.

As far as I know, that's it. Been through other states but didn't stay overnight. I will return and list more if I recall any places where drunken escapades landed me an overnight stay.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 12:29 am
Neglected to recall I spent a day in Washington, DC, and Arlington, VA, as part of a civil rights gathering and the 1968 Mothers March on Washington.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 01:49 am
@tsarstepan,
None.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 03:08 am
That quetion brings out a lot of good memories.
Maine - as a tourist a couple of times, just loved it
New Hampshire - the same
Vermont - the same
Rhode Island - the same
Massachusetts - worked in Boston for one year
New York - worked and lived in NYC for one year
Pennsylvania - as a tourist and visiting relatives
Delaware - looking at what once was "New Sweden" left overs
Virginia - Fairfax visiting relatives several times
North Carolina - as a tourist
South Carolina - as a tourist
Florida - several times as a torists, visiting friends and coming with my
husbond on conventions
Alabama - drove through
Missisipi - visiting and driving along the river as much as possible in several
states. I expressed my wish often that we should find a road as
close as possilbe to Missisipi. Our daughter as small got
something all mixed up and asked when we will visit Mr and
Mrs Sipi. So the river has another name in our family.
Tennesee
Kentucky and
West Virginia all three as tourists
Ohio - been there on the way north
Indiana - also driving through but always finding some place to look at
Illinois - again going through and visiting people
Iowa - visiting relatives and been to a wedding
Wisconsin - been there many times visiting relatives and also for
graduations.
Minnesota - to look at college once and visiting as much as possible of
Swedish settlements and visiting friends
California - a very short trip to see relatives.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 03:45 am
Illinois, New Mexico, Massachusetts and New York on my first visit to the USA.
Washington, DC, once.

New Mexico, Colorado a couple of times later again and Massachusetts twice.
Additionally and including the above, on our big tour through the USA:
Utah, Arizona, Nevada, California; Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 06:46 am
Once I planned following trip
Berlin, New Holstein, Altona, Kiel, , New Franken, Brussels, Namur, Luxemburg, and Denmark. Poland
If you think we did a trip in Europe you are wrong - it was in Wisconsin.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:07 am
I've been to 40 states. It's easier to list the ones I haven't been to:

Alaska
North and South Dakota
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
New Hampshire
Ohio
Rhode Island
Vermont
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:17 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

That quetion brings out a lot of good memories.

I was thinking the same thing last night, after posting and reading everyone's responses (last night and this morning)

I've been going through a bit of an identity crisis lately, lot of changes in my life, and questioning what I've done.
I've always been uncomfortable around people who also seem to be "doing something" and being asked "what did you do this weekend/last night/etc"
I see that I've done quite a lot, just don't need to announce it or compare.

Thanks tsar.
saab

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:37 am
@chai2,
Some memories are not that good, but funafterwards.
Once relatives took us for - an endless ride - telling us about the fantastic restaurant and the good food and the real English 5 o´clock tea.
How I was looking forward to a wonderful relaxing something to eat whatever it would be at 5 or later.
We got there - we saw the restaurant from outside and had a lousy dinner in a second class cafeteria.
It is one of those moments you want to grab one relative and hit the other one with.
parados

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:03 am
I finally made it to Hawaii just last month.

That leaves only Maine as a state I haven't set foot in.

Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho have been pass through or drive into states. When I was a kid we drove into Wyoming to see Devil's tower while in the Black Hills. I took the train through Montana and Idaho.

I believe I have spent at least one night in every other state.
chai2

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:05 am
@saab,
Oh believe me, a lot of the reasons I was in so many different states I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I'm sure others could say the same as to why they were in different places.

Life isn't all la la la I'm having such fun here. It's the living through what you're going through where you are.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:10 am
California: Some business trips and one visit to a friend/vacation. I liked San Francisco a lot.
Colorado: Business trip. Loved the feel of Denver, but the altitude got to me. Couldn't walk around much.
Connecticut: Vacationed there are few summers and went there on a few business trips.
Delaware: Business trip.
Florida: I was there many times to visit my parents when they started spending half the year there (Miami). Went there on vacation (Orlando).
Georgia: A business trip to Atlanta. Had one of the most extravagant meals ever in a restaurant that was a converted cathedral. Love dem expense accounts.
Illinois: Business trip.
Indiana: Business trip.
Kansas: Business trip.
Louisiana: New Orleans, business trip. Loved the place, the atmosphere, the food. Love dem expense accounts.
Maine: Vacations. Went sailing off the coast on a three-masted schooner. We docked at night and explored the towns in the mornings.
Maryland: Business trip.
Massachusetts. Been to Boston many times for business and pleasure. One of my favorite U.S. cities.
Michigan: Business and pleasure (visited a friend).
Missouri: Business trip.
New Jersey: More times than I can count. Usually vacations. Also went to Atlantic City a bunch of times. Summer camp.
New York: Born and raised in NYC. Still live there. I've traveled to many places in the state.
A Carolina: Business trip. Can't remember whether it was north or south.
Ohio: Business trip.
Pennsylvania: Business and pleasure. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and Shippensburg.
Rhode Island: Visited a friend.
Tennesee: Memphis. Business trip with a stop at Graceland.
Vermont: Went skiing. What was I thinking?
Virginia: Business trip.
Washington DC: Business and pleasure.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:51 am
@Roberta,
You wrote,
Quote:

I was surprised you had no comment for your visit to IL. Surely, your business trip was to Chicago, the city with great restaurants, museums, and music.

Even a few a2k members who will meet, greet, and share some good times.
panzade

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 12:15 pm
All your wonderful reminisces reminded me of two things.
This country has a spectacular diversity.
And after all my travels, my decision to settle in S Florida was validated.
There's no place like home Toto.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 12:21 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

When I was a kid we drove into Wyoming to see Devil's tower while in the Black Hills.

We went into Wyoming to see Devils Tower while vacationing in S. Dakota.

Distances are so funny out there. On one of our last days in S. Dakota we went to Mt Rushmore in the morning (we had been in Rapid City a few days) and were pretty much disappointed in it. We got back in the car and I pulled out a brochure and said "Hey look! Devils Tower is only 150 miles from here. Let's go!"
We didn't even go in the park, just ate lunch at a cafe in the middle of nothing, with a great view of the Tower.

I think this was the place we ate at, thankfully without the motorcyle gangs. There were only like 4 other people in the place at the time.

I really loved it out there....sigh.

http://pic199.zizaike.com/861/915861.jpg
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 12:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You wrote,
Quote:

I was surprised you had no comment for your visit to IL. Surely, your business trip was to Chicago, the city with great restaurants, museums, and music.

Even a few a2k members who will meet, greet, and share some good times.

c.i., Business trips did not include museums and music. I got to eat in some fine restaurants, though. Yes, I was in Chicago. I have no memory of where I ate. And I vaguely recall that I felt that the city was too spread out. I'm not sure what that means, but it's all I remember.
saab

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 12:51 pm
@Roberta,
I remeber being in Chicago.
We visited a colleague to my husband and had a very nice time at her home.
It was soooo cold and windy, the hotel was ok, but on our own we had dinner at a steakhouse and there were coachroches (spelling?) on my plate.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 01:08 pm
@Roberta,
I traveled for business a lot when I worked as a field auditor for Florsheim. We didn't have time for museums, but I spent hours at bars and clubs with store managers after work hours. That's where I learned all the tricks of the trade - so to speak. Florsheim was also generous with our expense accounts; we had a company American Express credit card.

Life changes were dramatic; from living in poverty as a child, then staying at first class hotels and eating very well. We lived in Fremont then, and my older brother lived in Sacramento working as an administrative judge. I met my childhood friend in LA, and we went to J-town to have dinner. My brother walked into the same restaurant. Talk about a 'small world.'
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 01:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Do you remember the restaurant name? I'm trying to remember the one I liked, it was at the top of - - - - - - hotel, had a fine japanese garden also there at the top.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 02:28 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, No, I don't remember the name, but it was along a string of other Japanese restaurants on the ground floor. The last time we visited J-town was when my wife and I visited the Japanese-American National Museum. Some months later, I donated my mother's badge from the concentration camp to the museum.