The 50 States survey

Below viewing threshold (view)
parados

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 09:26 am
@JTT,
It seems you don't understand the meaning of the word "extermination" JTT. It doesn't mean "forced re-education" nor does it mean separation of men from women.
JTT

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:35 am
@parados,
Parados climbs out of his sewer abode to do a little paradosing.

Paula M. Robertson

Many women and children standing by their tipis under a white flag of truce were cut down by deadly shrapnel from the Hotchkiss guns. The rest fled under withering fire from all sides. Pursuing soldiers shot most of them down in flight, some with babes on their backs. One survivor recalled that she was wounded but was so scared she did not feet it. She lost her husband, her little girl, and a baby boy. One shot passed through the baby's body before it broke her elbow, causing her to drop his body. Two more shots ripped through the muscles of her back before she fell.

The warrior Iron Hail, shot four times himself but still able to move, saw the soldiers shooting women and children. One young woman, crying out for her mother, had been wounded close to her throat, and the bullet had taken some of her braid into the wound. A gaping hole six inches across opened the belly of a man near him, shot through by an unexploded shell from the guns. Others told of women, heavy with child, shot down by the soldiers. Bodies of women and children were found scattered for three miles from the camp.

On New Year's Day, a pit was dug on the hill that the Hotchkiss guns had been on, and the frozen bodies of 146 men, women, and children were thrown into the pit like cordwood until it was full. The whites stripped many of the bodies, keeping as souvenirs the Ghost Shirts and other clothing and equipment the people had owned in life, or selling them later in the thriving trade over Ghost Dance relics that ensued. One member of the burial party remarked that it was "a thing to melt the heart of a man, if it was of stone, to see those little children, with their bodies shot to pieces, thrown naked into the pit." Besides the 146 buried that day, others who had been wounded died soon afterward, and relatives removed many of the bodies before the government burial party arrived. Estimates of the number of Lakotas slain vary, but many authorities believe that the figure is around three hundred men, women, and children. Not many escaped.

From Ecyclopedia of North American Indians. Frederick E. Hoxie, Ed. Copyright © 1996 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

[pictures available at, ]

http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps/poets/m_r/momaday/knee.htm
ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 10:38 am
@Ragman,
I was responding to Tico's comment on your being welcome in his area - so it's intended for you..
sorry re confusion.
parados

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 12:14 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Many women and children standing by their tipis under a white flag of truce were cut down by deadly shrapnel from the Hotchkiss guns.

Why would they need a flag of truce if they were already in a camp?

I don't dispute that the Wounded Knee massacre occurred but those killed were not in an extermination camp. They were in a Sioux encampment that was attacked.
Ragman

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 12:32 pm
@ossobuco,
no problem. Thanks for invite. Love to get back to that sort of travel again.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 07:19 pm
@JTT,
You know that some of those pieces of excrement, USA troops, that took part in the vicious war crime that was the Massacre at Wounded Knee got congressional medals of honor.

Can you believe that you chickenshit thumb downers?

honour, my ass! Low life scum is what they were.

----------------------------

THE HEROES OF WOUNDED KNEE CREEK - 1890

by Bob Smith

reproduced with permission

Definition. Massacre, butchery;
1a) the indiscriminate, merciless killing of human beings in large numbers;
b) a large-scale slaughter of animals.

The entire history of the relationships between the Indigenous People (American Indians) and Europeans has been one of conflict and justifying various means for separating the Indian from his land. There were many times when this justification involved genocide and murder. Such was the case in South Dakota, at Wounded Knee Creek on December 29th, 1890. Wounded Knee was the culmination of a series of so called justifiable actions (massacres) that started as soon as Indigenous people were discovered living on San Salvador by Columbus. The Pilgrim set up their religious "blue laws" and used them to justify the massacre of the Pequots. Massacres continued when the Five Civilized Tribes resisted being pushed off their ancestral lands. Massacres continued in the Southwest amongst the Apache, Pueblo, and where ever the lust for riches and land could not be satisfied. The Sand Creek Massacre in 1863 set a new standard for unspeakable atrocities where Colonel Chevington, when asked why children and even infants born and unborn were killed, said "nits make lice".

The facts that make the massacre at Wounded Knee different are that: The Army listed this massacre as a "Battle"; this was the only "massacre" in the history of the United States of America where the Congressional Medal of Honor (20) was awarded; text books and noted historians state that: "The battle of Wounded Knee was the last armed conflict between the Army and the plains Indian" -the Indians had been disarmed and were "prisoners of war" when they were gunned down by the Army.

In modern times the treatment of POWs is governed by international law. In 1890, the Army had a code of conduct and regulations governing the treatment of POWs. Why then were the bullet riddled bodies of women and children found scattered as far as three miles from the camp -no doubt they we shot while attempting to escape.

The Congressional Medal of Honor is the highest military award for bravery that can be given to any individual in the United States of America. In 1918, the law said "that the President is authorized to present, in the name of the Congress, a Medal of Honor only to each person who, while an officer or enlisted man of the Army shall hereafter, in action involving actual conflict with an enemy, distinguish himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty". Where was the gallantry and intrepidity when women, children, including toddlers and infants were shot at point blank range in this homicidal craze for revenge. Clearly, this was not heroism, it was cold-blooded murder!

Read on at, (as I know y'all will)

http://www.dickshovel.com/smith.html
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 09:26 pm
In Oz

Born in Sydney, New South Wales, and still live there.

I've visited and stayed in all other states and territories, both on business and on holidays (vacations to some of you!)

US- never been - but watch out - I'm coming, hopefully this year!
Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Feb, 2014 09:41 pm
@margo,
you'll have to remember and wave as you pass the flyover states, margo...

I've been to all but four US states on one sort of business or another, including DC.

I've not been to Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, or Rhode Island.

and I intend on seeing Alaska before I die. I'm waiting on mrs. palin to move first...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 09:47 am
@margo,
margo wrote:

US- never been - but watch out - I'm coming, hopefully this year!

Hope you stop by Gotham City. To at least see Batman and Roberta (whose not Batman I swear). Wink
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 10:09 am
When I was I lad I wasn't too interested in collecting things like stamps or building plastic models of ships - unless I could destroy them with a strategically placed fire cracker.
Instead I collected dirt.
Over a period of a decade I collected 32 pill bottles full of samples of dirt from states we traveled through. My rarely amused dad would on occasion rouse me from sleep as we caught the corner of a new state as we went cross country late at night. A nice porter on a train - the Empire Builder - was helpful, too.
My last sample came from Hawaii in 1968. I was there briefly on a refueling stop on a plane bound for Vietnam.
I kept them on a specially built rack in my room in Virginia. I wonder what ever happened to that collection.
farmerman

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 10:43 am
@realjohnboy,
make a nice garden.
There are people who collect sand, because sand represents the movement of on areas rock and soil down to a "bse level" (usually the beaches at the Oceanside. Each geographic area has unique sands with unique mineral grains (Sand is just soil that's been moved and all the feldspar and clay has been washed away)
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 10:54 am
@realjohnboy,
My last sample came from Hawaii in 1968. I was there briefly on a refueling stop on a plane bound for Vietnam.

--------

If you had taken a sample of Vietnamese soil, rjb, you'd likely have found it riddled with the bones of Vietnamese villagers who were blown to smithereens by USA liberators.

You could have put a label on the bottle, "usa's [#] vassal colony, save for the fact that we got our ass kicked by a people that wouldn't put up with our vicious brutality and lying ways".

--------------------

PRESIDENT HO CHI MINH'S REPLY TO PRESIDENT JOHNSON'S LETTER

February 15, 1967

Excellency, on February 10, 1967, I received your message. Here is my response.

Viet-Nam is situated thousands of miles from the United States. The Vietnamese people have never done any harm to the United States. But, contrary to the commitments made by its representative at the Geneva Conference of 1954, the United States Government has constantly intervened in Viet-Nam, it has launched and intensified the war of aggression in South Viet-Nam for the purpose of prolonging the division of Viet-Nam and of transforming South Viet-Nam into an American neo-colony and an American military base. For more than two years now, the American Government, with its military aviation and its navy, has been waging war against the Democratic Republic of Viet-Nam, an independent and sovereign country.

The United States Government has committed war crimes, crimes against peace and against humanity. In South Viet-Nam a half-million American soldiers and soldiers from the satellite countries have resorted to the most inhumane arms and the most barbarous methods of warfare, such as napalm, chemicals, and poison gases in order to massacre our fellow countrymen, destroy the crops, and wipe out the villages. In North Viet-Nam thousands of American planes have rained down hundreds of thousands of tons of bombs, destroying cities, villages, mills, roads, bridges, dikes, dams and even churches, pagodas, hospitals, and schools. In your message you appear to deplore the suffering and the destruction in Viet-Nam. Permit me to ask you: Who perpetrated these monstrous crimes? It was the American soldiers and the soldiers of the satellite countries. The United States Government is entirely responsible for the extremely grave situation in Viet-Nam. . . .

The Vietnamese people deeply love independence, liberty, and peace. But in the face of the American aggression they have risen up as one man, without fearing the sacrifices and the privations. They are determined to continue their resistance until they have won real independence and liberty and true peace. Our just cause enjoys the approval and the powerful support of peoples throughout the world and of large segments of the American people.

The United States Government provoked the war of aggression in Viet-Nam. It must cease that aggression, it is the only road leading to the re-establishment of peace. The United States Government must halt definitively and unconditionally the bombings and all other acts of war against the Democratic Republic of Viet-Nam, withdraw from South Viet-Nam all American troops and all troops from the satellite countries, recognize the National Front of the Liberation of South Viet-Nam and let the Vietnamese people settle their problems themselves. Such is the basic content of the four-point position of the Government of the Democratic Republic of Viet-Nam, such is the statement of the essential principles and essential arrangements of the Geneva agreements of 1954 on Viet-Nam. It is the basis for a correct political solution of the Vietnamese problem. In your message you suggested direct talks between the Democratic Republic of Viet-Nam and the United States. If the United States Government really wants talks, it must first halt unconditionally the bombings and all other acts of war against the Democratic Republic of Viet-Nam. It is only after the unconditional halting of the American bombings and of all other American acts of war against the Democratic Republic of Viet-Nam that the Democratic Republic of Viet-Nam and the United States could begin talks and discuss questions affecting the two parties.

The Vietnamese people will never give way to force, it will never accept conversation under the clear threat of bombs.

Our cause is absolutely just. It is desirable that the Government of the United States act in conformity to reason.

Sincerely,

Ho Chi Minh

That would be a keeper, wouldn't it?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 9 Feb, 2014 10:58 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Parados: Why would they need a flag of truce if they were already in a camp?

That unbelievably callous remark defines you perfectly, parados.

Actually it defines your idiotic claim. You used the massacre of women and children in a Sioux encampment as evidence that the US government forced American Indians into extermination camps. They flew a flag of truce because they were in their OWN encampment. The massacre was a massacre that was a horrendous act. Your attempt to make the act something other than it was is also horrendous.