The 50 States survey

Foofie

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 04:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

osso, No, I don't remember the name, but it was along a string of other Japanese restaurants on the ground floor. The last time we visited J-town was when my wife and I visited the Japanese-American National Museum. Some months later, I donated my mother's badge from the concentration camp to the museum.

Internment camp. No one died due to gas, or hard work.
Foofie

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 04:14 pm
Over the decades I have visited many unnamed venues during dreams. Many of the venues were visited at night (in the dreams). Most of the time I was lost. For this reason I have little desire to travel.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 04:14 pm
@Foofie,
You must not be very good in the English language.

From Answers.com.
Quote:
concentration camp
American Heritage Dictionary: concentration campTop
Home > Library > Literature & Language > Dictionary

n.
A camp where civilians, enemy aliens, political prisoners, and sometimes prisoners of war are detained and confined, typically under harsh conditions.
A place or situation characterized by extremely harsh conditions.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/concentration-camp#ixzz2sCnlj8Zq

What the Germans had in Europe were "exermination camps."
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 04:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Again from Answers.com.
Quote:
What is the difference between concentration camps and extermination camps?
In: Holocaust, Nazi Concentration Camps [Edit categories]
Answer:
A concentration camp was a place where persons were kept imprisoned, usually for political reasons. Here they would labor and live, sometimes for years. The first modern use of them was by the British in the later stages of the Boer War (1899-1902) in South Africa, when confronted with determined guerrilla warfare by the Boers. In order to end this guerrilla war, they rounded up the Boer civilians (mainly women and children), burned down their homes and sent them to camps. (The purpose of this was to make sure that the guerrillas had no shelter or support). The camps were badly run, soon became overcrowded and insanitary. About 20% of the inmates died of disease within two years.
Similarly, many persons died in the German run concentration camps. It is not healthy to have many persons in cramped quarters for long periods. Even if food and medical care are plentiful (and they were not) - many deaths will occur. The USA also ran concentration camps for the Japanese. America, being a wealthy nation, gave relatively good rations and medical care to the Japanese. There was no forced labor either. The camps were cramped but not overcrowded compared to those in Europe and Russia and thus the mortality rate was much lower.
Contrast this with an extermination camp. Only Germany and Russia had such camps to my knowledge. Here persons were sent to die and die quickly. In Germany most were gassed, others killed by overwork or other means. In Russia the main methods were by forced hard labor, poor diet and extreme climate.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 04:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
A friend was involved with the museum - now a long time ago, though.

Me, I remember a bakery - took a photo of the goodies.
And a bookstore, starting with K, I think, and I remember it as at the bottom of that hotel. Sometime later I heard a lecture in a nearby auditorium by Isamo Naguchi on his design of the Noguchi plaza. I didn't particulary like it, but I did like his work in Orange County.

Ok, ok, I'll stop, but good memories.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 10:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
MA/NH/VT/RI/CT, and ME Being from Mass originally I visted all 6 NE states often, lived in MA and CT) sub-totl 6
NY (lived in upstate NY-capitol region for 7 yrs plus visted NYC countless times)
NJ (visited relatives and explored there a bit),
MD many visits and trips to Harborside in Balt as well as Philly and Pitts trips
VA (many family visits some of whom transplanted No. VA in late-'60s,
W. VA (visit to friends who live in W Va)
Arkansas (Blytheville...don't ask but I was lucky to have survived the trip)
Ohio (trips to Cleveland, Columbus)
Ill (2 Chicago trips)
Wash (visits, to Seattle, Longview, Mt. St. Helen 6 mos before it blew up)
Oregon (visits to Portland and mountains)
Calif (LA, SF, (Anaheim/disneyland, Monterey, wine country/northern)
Colorado, (lived in Denver for 1 yr, traveled to Golden, Central City, Colorado Springs)
Nevada (Lost Vegas, Lake Tahoe)
Ariz (Grand Canyon 2x , Sedona)
Texas (lived there during 1972 USAF)
Oklahoma (visited friends when stationed in Texas)
Kansas (visited ed in Wichita for 1 week)
New Mexico (visited and camped around Alba-turkey, Taos, Santa Fe)
Montana (visited/camped at or nr Custer State Park)
S. Dakota (camping trip, Badlands National Park)
Wyoming (Grand Teton park camping)
Idaho (camping)
Missouri (visited St. Louis)
Fla (living here now)
SC (visited Savannah and Ft,. Sumter)
NC (Raleigh visit)
GA (visited Atlanta)
Louisiana (visited NO)
Tenn (Nashville, Memphis/Graceland)
Wash, DC (countless trips (not a state but it counts)

Total 35 + Wash DC states

The rest of the other state visits were drive-through-trips so not counted.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:08 pm
@Ragman,
Pretty impressive there, Ragman. 34 was my last count.
Ragman

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Travel-lust is something to which I know you can relate. Thank you USAF for allowing me to see many states and spend time in quite a few spots. Plus I loved camping and photography. I made quite a few civilian trips from 1972-1987.

I want to do some of it again, particularly southwest, providing my health allows. Once I'm done with ongoing medical crisis complete with monthly chemo treatments (4 more, hopefully), I will definitely do it. Crossing fingers and toes.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 11:17 pm
@Ragman,
You got my fingers crossed, but my toes - is a bit difficult (impossible). Laughing
Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 07:55 am
@cicerone imposter,
many thanks. feeling good currently with very few side effects.
Linkat

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 08:46 am
@tsarstepan,
Let's see:
California: Many times - from San Diego, LA (and disneyland), San Fran, Modesto, Palm Desert, Montaray Bay, Carmel, and everywhere in between (have family and friends throughout the state)
Colorado - skiing in Steam Boat Springs
Connecticut: Many times. And yes Mystic Seaport anyone - love Mystic Pizza always go there when I am in the area. Also, Mohegan Sun (even though I am not a gambler) -- saw the professional women's basketball play there.
Florida: Many times - from Orlando, to Miami, south beach, the Keys, Boca Raton, Ft. Lauderdate, west coast - Marco Island and Fort Meyers.
Maine: Many times - Portland area alot, the lakes area, skiing and camping in the mountains.
Maryland: stayed there on a stop from driving back from Mrytle Beach
Massachusetts: Live here
Montana: Several times - have alot of family there - from Billings, to Yellowstone, to Missoula.
New Hampshire: Many times - pretty much every area, camping to skiing to just visiting.
New Jersey: Altantic City - otherwise NJ as my NY friend closes it - is the arm pit of America.
New York: Many times from NYC through upper state to Rochester and Niagra Falls area
North Carolina - stayed in Wilson, NC overnight when driving from Orlando -- unplanned as we drove after not having a plane ride home from Orlando -- our flight was on 9/11
Oregon: Went one day when staying in Seattle area - went to a beach somewhere
Pennsylvania: Spelling Bee regionals - in Amish country.
Rhode Island: Many times - in my youth young 20s, Newport was the place to be; seen many a concert there as well.
South Carolina: Mrytle Beach vacation
Texas: Visiting a friend who moved to Houston; Dallas/Fort Worth - visited and planned to move there (had a house built); never ended up moving, but spent many trips there for work.
Vermont: many times; skiing and just weekend trips
Virginia - stayed overnight in Richmond on our drive to Myrtle Beach - saw the Flying Squirrels play at the minor league park
Washington: many times; family in the Seattle area and in Spoke (going there again this summer)
Washington DC: Twice - also been to the White House twice too.
Wyoming: drive through from Denver to Billings, MT - the ugliest drive in the world (unless you like brown and brownish yellow and flatness); stayed in Cheyenne; and Casper.
chai2

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 10:33 am
@Linkat,
Hey!

There're lots of nice places in NJ linkat.

http://www.highlandstourism.org/images/P1020673.jpg
http://www.nynjtc.org/files/u4/DWGNRA_NickZungoli_cropped.jpg

This last one is the Shore, where I grew up, after Labor Day and all the bennies have gone home.
A lot of people who call it an armpit are the ones who come on weekends, trash it and go back home.
We liked their tourist dollars, but hated having to clean up after them.

http://travel.sndimg.com/static_files/tc/images/ideas/Beaches/slideshows/Jersey%20Shore/idea_ss_beaches_jersey-shore_002_596x334.jpg
Linkat

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 10:55 am
@chai2,
I'm sure there are -- but really think of the location and shape of NJ -- it fits the bill. And my friend from NY also fits the bill of the tourist you are speaking of -- think real NY boy --

And FL - did you know what FL is considered? It is the only p---s shaped state.
chai2

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 11:13 am
@Linkat,
So I guess that makes Louisianna the nutsack?

Hmmm.....I wonder what that makes Cuba? Shocked

http://www.fasttrackteaching.com/burns/Unit_11_Cold_War/Unit11_map_Cuba_US.GIF
Ticomaya

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 11:20 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Kansas (visited ed in Wichita for 1 week)

In reality it was only one afternoon -- it just seemed like a week. Twisted Evil

(For those that don't know, Wichita is my hometown.)

If you do make it to the SW, be sure to come see me in the Phoenix area.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 11:43 am
@Ticomaya,
You're also welcome here in Abq - if you are anywhere nearby. It's an hour's drive south from Santa Fe, also accessible by a rail runner commuter train, and we have an amtrak station for longer train lopes, if you end up doing any of the trip by train.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/Amtrak_Southwest_Chief.jpg/800px-Amtrak_Southwest_Chief.jpg

Adds, not too bad a drive to Phoenix either - Diane has done that fairly often.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 12:22 pm
@Ragman,
I just finished paradontal surgery this morning. The pain should begin at about 11am when the numbness wears off. Doc gave me some pain killers that'll last 8-12 hours, and prescribed ibuprofen. Gonna be fun for the next several days.... Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 12:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Who is this intended for?
Linkat

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 12:34 pm
@chai2,
I could come up with some interesting items -- but I am afraid it is not appropriate.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2014 12:40 pm
@ossobuco,
I did a similar drive in the early 60's, and drove that distance solo, but my drive began in Sacramento.
0 Replies