Quick grammar question (Urgent reply needed)

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 12:29 pm
Hi, I've got a quick grammar question. There's this quote someone on the internet posted, "Would you cry if I wasn't here anymore?", is it grammatically correct? Well, I know it is, but someone commented that it wasn't, and suggested that the correct sentence should be, "Would you have cried if I wasn't here anymore?". I know that that one is incorrect since "have cried" is future perfect tense, and it should be "will" instead of "would". So, it should be, "Will you have cried if I wasn't here anymore?", right? Which one is correct? Is the original quote correct? Or are they both correct? Or only one is correct? Or none of them are correct? Which is the correct sentence? Please reply, and explain. This is really messing up with my brain, and plus, I'm drunk, so. Urgent reply needed ---so, I could finally sleep. Hahaha. Thank you in advance.

jespah

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 01:23 pm
@wayfaringshaman,
First off, don't drink and parse.

Now, for the rest of it. Looks like what you've got is an unreal conditional.

You're right about cry, it seems. But the second clause actually should be I weren't. Recognize that colloquial English these days has lots of wiggle room, so I wasn't versus I weren't is generally not an issue - most of the time you'll be fine with either. But yeah, the have cried versus cry business is a change in tense and alters the overall meaning of the sentence, to something that has already happened, rather than a future possibility.

I hope this helps; this is confusing even when you're sober.
wayfaringshaman

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 05:30 pm
@jespah,
Thanks for the quick reply ---well, that was quick to me.
It helped a lot. But, last question, though..
Was I correct with the 'will you have'?
'Will you have' or 'would you have'?
This is confusing.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 06:12 pm
@jespah,
"Will you have cried if I wasn't here anymore?" "Will" seems to entail an ongoing act or one expected. For instance, will you be done changing the oil before next Friday? whereas "would" seems to fit better as past tense

It's a very subtle difference
jespah

Reply Sat 1 Feb, 2014 08:18 pm
@dalehileman,
I think this is right or close to right. Will implies an actuality; would implies a conditional (e. g. it might or might not happen).
dalehileman

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 03:07 am
@jespah,
Well put Jes
0 Replies