Brother-Sister bust up. What do I do?

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 09:24 pm
I have never got on that well with my sister, but we are family and have spent time together sporadically over the years, we are both in our early 40s now.

I was visiting my sister, she has 2 extremely friendly dogs that always want to lick me to death, get patted and played with. Our mother was there too. One of her dogs was on the couch and I moved it across a seat so I could sit where I was most comfortable. My sister (likely) said that that was the dogs seat and let it stay there. Later, I got up and upon returning to the seat the dog had sat back there. I moved the dog across a seat and took the seat again. My sister got angry and said the dog sits there if it wants, not me. I looked at her angrily, and she said "are you going to just stare at me or say something". I was extremely angry at this time. After staring at her for a few seconds more and taking a deep breath I looked away saying "I'm not saying a word". "Right!" she replied angrily to me, with a tone of voice which in my angry state felt more like "you better not say anything, bitch", flaming my anger again.

After gathering myself, I got up and left the house.

Later my sister and I had dinner at a restaurant, and I might have left except we had to discus some important issues regarding the health of our elderly mother. My posture was slumped and I had an upset look on my face most of the time, but there was no reaction to this by her.

After we left the restaurant and walked 2 mins to the local train station I brought up that I was upset at what had happened over the dog. She asked why and I told her it was because I felt disrespected and she said she could feel disrespected because I didn't listen to her and took the dogs seat on the couch. I said I didn't recall her asking me not to do that. She said "what if" the dog bit me, but in fact after moving the ridiculously friendly dog it tried to lick me to death like it always does and was extremely friendly as always. She then said that her dogs are her responsibility and they come first, and that as it was her house I will do what she asks in it, and I shouldn't be upset. I said "Well, I am upset". She said "Don't be like that." I replied "Oh, don't be like that? I'm leaving." I turned and walked to the station, not looking back.

What is your opinion? Should I be offended? How would you deal with it?

chai2

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 09:38 pm
You're in your 40's?

Jesus, this is something I'd expect from a 10 year old.

Her house, her rules, get over it.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 10:11 pm
@John90210,
Quote:
What is your opinion? Should I be offended? How would you deal with it?

Two children playing silly games over nothing at all when your mother need both of you being adults and acting together on her behalf.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2014 08:36 am
@John90210,
Yeah, I'm with the other posters. This is kinda childish behavior. By you.

If you don't want to deal with her dogs, have her over, without her dogs. If she brings them anyway, then it's your turn to say, "My house, my rules." Because then it will be true.

Personally, I am a big-time dog lover, but sometimes you just don't want them in your face. However, there were other ways you could have handled things. For example, if the dog sits on the couch, and you don't want to, I'm sure there's an easy chair or some other place you can sit. Or haul over a chair from the kitchen. If 'everywhere' in the living room is where the dog sits, then that's absurd and over the top.

On her side of things, she could have them better trained, I suspect. A well-trained dog can be told to lay down elsewhere, or get into a crate, as told to by the owner. But the dogs are not going to be retrained overnight, and they certainly won't be if your sister isn't amenable to making any changes.

Dogs tend to respond to high excitement levels by matching and then exceeding them, so do your best not to behave in an overly enthused manner. Many of them will also respond to a firm tone of voice. You can potentially ask your sister, next time, for a few treats to give to the dogs and then only give them out when the dogs have sat a bit (you can't ask for a half an hour of sitting from a dog, but you can ask for a minute or so). If they don't know the sit command, then they aren't really trained at all. Sit is an extremely basic command.

Cesar Milan (The Dog Whisperer) is somewhat controversial but I absolutely agree with his maxim of 'exercise, disciple, then affection'. With a lot of dogs these days, the first two are skipped. That makes for bored, anxious dogs who act out, whether it's by chewing shoes long after their teething years are over, or pooping in the house, biting, jumping, or otherwise behaving inappropriately. Tired, well-trained dogs generally do not do this.

You can also tell your sister, "We need to concentrate on talking about Mom, and I'm having trouble doing that when the dogs are in my face all the time." Then either she should call them off or you both go elsewhere, leaving the dogs behind. Don't sulk when this happens! Sheesh! This is what you want to have happen. So go to a diner or to your home or whatever and get your discussion out of the way.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2014 03:43 pm
You didn't read the situation right. Your sister's dogs come before other people.

You should have moved that meeting somewhere else - like the local coffee shop.

Then you pouted, quite childish, and wanted an apology from her - which you didn't get.

Forget about this. Meet her in a neutral place after this and get to the business of taking care of mom.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2014 04:01 pm
Me and my sister have never got on so nowadays we just avoid each other, life's so much simpler that way..Smile
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2014 04:30 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Nuthin' wrong with that.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 31 Jan, 2014 06:44 pm
My dad and me never got on either and hardly spoke for the last 15 years of his life, he was a misery guts right to the end; i think amongst his last words to my mum were "When's he bleeding well going to get a job?"
0 Replies