Where are all of the SOTU Threads?

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 09:40 pm
Does no one care what this asshole is yapping on about tonight?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 5,843 • Replies: 91

Ragman

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 09:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
How gracious of an invitation you are extending for intelligent discourse on the future of our country which was delivered by a man who tactfully kept his classy countenance and refused to speak about how obstructed his sincere efforts were by an amoral, do-nothing-but-block-all-legislation opposition.

Most people who are paying attention to what is going on are listening to the rebuttal and wrap-up by the talking heads. But of course, not you 'cause you're negative and made up your rusted-closed mind.

I certainly would not want to see the mess you'd have made of things if you were in that position.
Below viewing threshold (view)
coldjoint

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 12:08 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
and refused to speak about how obstructed his sincere efforts were by an amoral, do-nothing-but-block-all-legislation opposition.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 12:54 am
@coldjoint,
I think that deserves to be in bold and large type
Quote:
and refused to speak about how obstructed his sincere efforts were by an amoral, do-nothing-but-block-all-legislation opposition
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 01:05 am
John Boehner should remove that pole that he has up his ass.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 01:10 am
And speaking about idiots yapping, I could only stomach about five minutes of the plastic woman the GOP got to deliver its response--five minutes and she didn't say a damned thing relevant. Total platitudes. Of course, platitudes is all they have to offer anyway, nothing that actually solves any of the country's problems.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 04:57 am
The telling factor was the muddled responses from the GOP that revealed a weak leadership and a fractured party.
Yes, we understand why the official rebuttal was done by a woman(think Huckabee's stroll through the woman mine field)
but Cathy Rogers was not the spokesperson the GOP was looking for.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 06:41 am
And the state of the union is so excellent after years of Obama, the economy, the geopolitical situation, and government respect for the Bill of Rights. But, of course, all these problems are President Bush's fault.
panzade

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 08:18 am
@Brandon9000,
The economy is doing ok under the circumstances. The circumstances being a legislative branch that blocks every effort to pass bills...to improve the economy.
The geopolitical situation...could be worse...call it a wash.

Government respect for the Bill Of Rights.
This is a puzzle. Which of them is being disrespected?
Joe Nation

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 08:33 am
Borrowed from a friend of mine who read people were carping about things not being improved under this administration.

Quote:
Are people's memories that poor?
The Stock Market fell to about 6,500 shortly after Obama took office. We were losing about a million jobs a month. Two of the Big Three Automakers were on the verge of bankruptcy and housing values had fallen about 40-50%.
Of course things are not rosy today, but they are a damn sight better than they were when Obama came into office. The stock market has nearly tripled - having its best performance in any President's history.
We have created 8.2 million private sector jobs - more than 8 times the number created under George W Bush's entire eight years and we continue to grow.
Unemployment is about 6.7% and it has been 46 months since we had a month of job losses.
And of course, Chrysler and GM are now more profitable than ever.
Is there more to do? Yes! But the President has done all of this with an obstinate obstructive Congress fighting him every step of the way.
And what's more, for the first time in our nation's history we have Health Care available for all Americans. Obamacare has been a god send to millions of Americans, and has provided more protection and coverage for millions more. ~~Grant Devereaux

~~ I've been considering starting a thread to try to determine the length of the current American political memory.

Joe(my guess is just short of ten months to a year)Nation
McGentrix

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 09:08 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

Government respect for the Bill Of Rights.
This is a puzzle. Which of them is being disrespected?

Second and fourth amendments jump to mind almost immediately.
revelette2

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 09:50 am
@McGentrix,
I can see the fourth being legitimate as a right being taken away, but the second? Please....

As far as the GOP response, I would be embarrassed were I a republican.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 11:26 am
Quote:
The conventional view of Obama, repeated in last night’s Republican response by Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.), is that he “talks a lot about income inequality.” But as a description of Obama’s speech, that isn’t quite right. Obama used the words equal, equality, and inequality just eight times. He used opportunity and opportunities 14 times. He used work, workers, working, workforce, and hard-working more than 60 times. Thirty-six of those references were directly about economic labor.

The distinction is important. Most people think income inequality is fine—in fact, it’s proper—when one person works harder than another. Obama’s argument isn’t just that the economy has left incomes unequal. It’s that the economy is failing to honor work.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/frame_game/2014/01/obama_s_state_of_the_union_message_the_free_market_vs_the_work_ethic.html

As I point out in this thread
http://able2know.org/topic/232182-1
which is an offshoot from one of Franks comments this is a result a technology devaluing work. THere might be a roll for government to play in changing the gamefield but it is not clear to me what that role would properly be, and it is not the R's fault that we got here but I have no doubt but that Omama thinks the he can blame the R's for this.

Quote:
That’s the debate ahead. Can the free market be trusted to lift working families out of poverty? If not, should the government step in? Ultimately, do most Americans believe more in capitalism or in labor? Do they see government as a threat to freedom or as an ally of honest work?

For more than 30 years, Republicans prevailed in that debate because people had lost faith in government. But what happens if they lose faith in the economy? When the free market stops serving the work ethic, look out.
We still dont have faith in government, and certainly not liberalism's constant attempts to start up new big government programs, witness that ObamaCare was always opposed by the majority and also witness what a mess this program has been since the jump, with every indication that the mess will grow as the program ages.

What do we do when we no longer have faith in government nor the elite who run our economy? I dont know, but this is the stuff of revolution.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 12:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Obama Ideas

1. Unemployment insurance. this is no longer an insurance program since most of the money comes from government appropriations and the insurance reserves long ago ran out. If we are going to continue this new welfare program we best separate it from the unemployment insurance program and be honest that we are running a new welfare program

2. Equal pay. Women are beating men in the economic market, there is no problem here except for men, this is an exercise in feeding the delusions of his political base

3. Minimum wage. fine, but be ready to amp up the welfare programs to the non workers, because this will cut jobs. The also does nothing the fix the underlining problem of tech displacing human workers.

4 Earned Income Tax Credit. GOvernment selling debt to feed to the citizens in the form of checks is a doomed enterprise, but call me shocked that Obama wants to do more of it.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 12:11 pm
The GOP is in trouble, and Plastic Woman speaking for them last night did not help;
CNN poll on reaction to SOTU last night:
respondents with positive response to Obama's speech: 76%
respondents who think Obama's plans move country in right direction: 69%
respondents who think Obama's plans will improve economy: 59%
rewspondentws who think Obama's plans will help lower income people join the middle class:68%

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 12:27 pm
@MontereyJack,
Obama's SOTU speech last year had roughly the same audience approval ratings. As a political instrument however it was all fantasy it had no relavance at all, it changed the course of history not at all.

This years will likely fair no better.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 01:27 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
The GOP is in trouble, and Plastic Woman speaking for them last night did not help;

I see, Hillary is just a fat plastic woman.

She is emotionless.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 02:21 pm
Atlanta shutting down because they got 2 inches of snow is yet another iteration of the lesson that we trust modern government to be competent our own peril. It should also prompt us to stock government posts with capable people, inform us that the hacks and idiots who sit in the chairs now need to be driven out. We absolutly should not let government do anything until we do, as they will almost assuredly **** it up(see obamacare).
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 03:06 pm
Stupid argument, hawk. How often does Atlanta get two inches of snow. Not very often. I'm sure the tax base would have revolted if Atlanta had paid for dozens of plows and equipment and road salt to deal with it, that would have sat unused for years if not decades. Plus drivers in most of the South who were totally unused to dealing with that much snow and were consequently a hazard on the roads. My parents retired south of Tucson, and they used to get a quarter inch of snow every ten years or so, and the morning after going up to Tucson you'd see dozens of cars spun out off the road in the pecan groves. A quarter inch and they just didn't have the skills, because they'd never needed them. Same for Atlanta. The governments of Massachusetts and New York, on the other hand, are used to dealing with blizzards and have performed admirably in the several recent blizzards or near-blizzards. And taxpayers here know that huge amounts of snow are inevitable and are willing to foot the bill to keep the infrastructure going. And, incidentally, to contract with the legions of PRIVATE snow plow drivers needed to keep the roads clear. Absent government, we'd grind to a total halt for weeks each winter. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
0 Replies