"Bought for" or "Purchased for"

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:32 pm
The other night I asked what I thought was a simple question. "How much was the home bought for"? I was then subtly corrected by my girlfriends mother when she repeated back the sentence using purchased in place of bought, and rudely corrected when my girlfriend kept repeating purchased, purchaseeed, purchaseeeeeed. I haven't been able to find anything that says the way I structured my sentence was so bad grammatically that it needed to be corrected. If I am wrong I am wrong, so that is why I am posing the question to all of you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 943 • Replies: 7
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:42 pm
@t7lawson,
"How much was the home bought for ?" is not incorrect, although some people say to not end a sentence with a preposition. Yours is a passive sentence, so it is a little awkward.

Other ways to ask include:

How much did you pay for the house?

What was the purchase price for the house?
Ragman

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:59 pm
@PUNKEY,
Out of curiosity, why the reposting?
http://able2know.org/topic/232460-1#post-5562316
contrex

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 01:16 pm
@t7lawson,
To buy is to purchase; to purchase is to buy. They mean the same thing. You can buy a loaf of bread, a car, a plane ticket, a house, a farm, a company, a ship, a fleet of jet planes. You can also purchase these things. The word purchase is more formal and is more likely to be found in business, legal and financial documents such as real estate literature, contracts, accounts, etc.

It is very bad manners to correct someone in that way, even if a mistake has been made. You could try asking your girlfriend why she chose to attack you in that way. You could consider whether someone else might be kinder to you.
0 Replies

t7lawson

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 03:53 pm
@Ragman,
Reposted with the grammar tag so that people more interested and insightful about grammar would see and reply.
Ragman

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 04:32 pm
@t7lawson,
FYI, you can do that after you post or at any point in time to the original posting. Also, other members can add that tag (as I just did). Now both posts are in listed in 'Grammar'.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 04:38 pm
Either one is fine. They mean the same thing. "Purchased" is a bit more formal, I'd say, but not enough so to make any difference. Maybe you should think about getting a new girlfriend and a new girlfriend's mom. These two don't sound like keepers.
contrex

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 05:44 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Maybe you should think about getting a new girlfriend and a new girlfriend's mom. These two don't sound like keepers.

+1

0 Replies