"Bought for" or "Purchased for"

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 11:56 am
The other night I asked what I thought was a simple question. "How much was the home bought for"? I was then subtly corrected by my girlfriends mother when she repeated back the sentence using purchased in place of bought, and rudely corrected when my girlfriend kept repeating purchased, purchaseeed, purchaseeeeeed. I haven't been able to find anything that says the way I structured my sentence was so bad grammatically that it needed to be corrected. If I am wrong I am wrong, so that is why I am posing the question to all of you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 920 • Replies: 13

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 11:59 am
Either one is acceptable. However, you, your girlfriend and your girlfriend's mother should be horsewhipped for ignoring that you ended a sentence with a preposition.
t7lawson

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:01 pm
@Setanta,
Ending a sentence in a preposition is only incorrect if the preposition is extraneous. Turn the light on for example is perfectly acceptable. Where are you at, is not because where are you asks the same question. You could not say how much was the home bought, because it would not make sense. It is a myth that you can not end any form of sentence in a preposition.
Ragman

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:03 pm
@t7lawson,
To the original poster:
This semantics game seems to be a bit of a power struggle, IMHO. I say just ignore it.

That being said...maybe they are thinking too critically (pissy) about some technical issue - maybe about how much they paid for the house itself vs how much extras added on by the bank and closing costs. Do you know what I mean? The idea could be akin to the difference in how much they negotiated with this seller (reducing the asking price down to final closing price)...vs how much the bank, lawyers fees and home inspection, etc., added on to the total. I'm purely guessing on this.

Either way...a relatively simple matter became argumentative unnecessarily (by them).

(Setanta is adding levity - just being humorous.)
t7lawson

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:08 pm
@Ragman,
It was much simpler than that. The mother had us go to a showcase house party in place of herself. When We returned from the party I asked the mother how much the home was bought for. I agree that it was unnecessarily argumentative. I Love my girlfriend to death but she can be somewhat pedantic in these situations. I am just curious to find out if my grammar was in all actuality that incorrect.
Ragman

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 12:11 pm
@t7lawson,
FWIW, I'm not a grammar expert...just a native user of the language for 63 years and a former technical writer. This puts me somewhere in the middle of mediocrity of expertise. I see nothing wrong with the grammar. This is their pedantic struggle. Don't get sucked in. Smile and think lovely thoughts. however, were it me, I'd push back by saying "Really? This is about my grammar?" or some such..or like I wrote...just smile.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 01:19 pm
To buy is to purchase; to purchase is to buy. They mean the same thing. You can buy a loaf of bread, a car, a plane ticket, a house, a farm, a company, a ship, a fleet of jet planes. You can also purchase these things. The word purchase is more formal and is more likely to be found in business, legal and financial documents such as real estate literature, contracts, accounts, etc.

It is very bad manners to correct someone in that way, even if a mistake has been made. You could try asking your girlfriend why she chose to attack you in that way. You could consider whether someone else might be kinder to you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 03:36 pm
@t7lawson,
Is humor difficult for you?
Below viewing threshold (view)
Setanta

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 05:38 pm
@coldjoint,
It's been obvious for some time that you don't know what humility is.
Below viewing threshold (view)
LvB

Reply Sat 25 Jan, 2014 11:42 pm
@coldjoint,
CJ, why are you thread stalking Setanta?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 04:13 am
@coldjoint,
Ah-hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha . . .

Leaving aside that you apparently don't know what arrogant means, the ideas of you being humble and of you scaring anyone are really hilarious. Thanks for the laugh, chump.
coldjoint

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2014 10:41 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
Thanks for the laugh, chump.

Boy that looks an awful lot like arrogance.

Thanks for the irony. Or is that your built in hypocrisy?
0 Replies