How flawed are your beliefs

secondusername

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 06:38 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I personally wouldn't say I believe in something that isn't so. A god. I can't believe in a god. But I can't believe in a devil, satan, lucifer, etc either.

Something I do believe in. That is right before our faces every single day. The weather. What I believe we came from. That to me makes sense.

Quote:
Well, atheists say "I believe there are no gods" and I'm just wondering if that belief is flawed, and wonder how they arrive at that conclusion?

Frank Apisa claims atheist. However. He swears he does not do believing. What does that make him? I personally would say he is atheist because he does not believe in a god. Which in turn would make me an atheist since I don't believe in something that is illogical. Obviously is senseless to say god exists with there being no proof. If there is a god then he's the aliens trying to make it known does exist. I doubt that. I do.
The reason why an atheist would say "I believe there are no gods" would be I assume because it's, the god, gods aren't right before their faces each day. And no matter how real you may be Romeo I personally don't believe in you but do know you're obviously real. robot or not. Because you post, share your words with us all each day. Or whenever.
0 Replies

Calamity Dal

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 06:50 pm
@secondusername,
it means I'm all ears
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 07:07 pm
Quote:
Secondusername said: Obviously is senseless to say god exists with there being no proof. If there is a god then he's the aliens trying to make it known does exist. I doubt that. I do.

Jesus said "God is spirit" (John 4:24), and because spirit is invisible, it's no surprise that we can't see God..Smile
However, we can HEAR God speaking through Jesus's mouth as Jesus pointed out-
"For I have not spoken on my own authority; but the Father who sent me gave me a command, what I should say and what I should speak" (John 12:49)
and then Jesus said-
"Love one another, feed the hungry, house the homeless, clothe the destitute, tend the sick, visit the prisoners, look after the poor" (Mark 12:30, John 13:34, Matt 25: 37-40),
which are the words of God himself.

Maybe God is an alien on another non-material plane of existence, and Jesus was beamed down to earth-
Jesus said- "I know where I came from and where I am going, but you have no idea where I come from or where I am going.....you are of this world, I am not of this world.....I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (John 8:14/ 8:23, Matt 13:35)
Hey Spock will you listen to Jesus?

"Affirmative, it would be illogical not to listen, I'm all ears"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Spock-vwj.jpg
secondusername

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 07:18 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
All I hear is the sound of zombies making noises from/with their mouth as they pounce on the humans.
--Resident Evil, Extinction
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 08:19 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Jesus is my MATE, certainly not a crutch..Smile

Your MATE is either someone you reproduce with or a buddy you hang around with and can slap on the back and drink beer with. Jesus is a concept you have in your mind. It's an imaginary friend.
neologist

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 08:21 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Calamity Dal wrote:
and in which direction would you suggest I move my axioms?
We are all biased by our inherited imperfection. If we search within ourselves, we may bring our shortcomings into focus. Do we desire moral license? (see Genesis, ch. 3) Would we serve God only for reward? (See Job 2: 4.5). Such considerations should help us to identify our path.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 09:01 pm
Quote:
Rosborne said: Jesus is a concept you have in your mind. It's an imaginary friend

In my mind certainly!-
Jesus said “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them" (John 14:22)

But hardly imaginary, where do you think I get my superhuman wit and intellect from?..Smile
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/gods-dna-church-sml_zpsd267b622.jpg~original
secondusername

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 09:44 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Your MATE is either someone you reproduce with or a buddy you hang around with and can slap on the back and drink beer with. Jesus is a concept you have in your mind. It's an imaginary friend.

The only imaginary friends I have are the numerous personalities I have. One hates my phone. Another is obsessed with my phone. Strange.

The others ((other personalities)) don't care.
secondusername

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 09:46 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
We are all biased by our inherited imperfection. If we search within ourselves, we may bring our shortcomings into focus. Do we desire moral license? (see Genesis, ch. 3) Would we serve God only for reward? (See Job 2: 4.5). Such considerations should help us to identify our path.

Where does the Weather lead me?
secondusername

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2014 09:51 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Rosborne said: Jesus is a concept you have in your mind. It's an imaginary friend

Quote:
Romeo Fabulini said: In my mind certainly!
-Jesus said “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them" (John 14:22)

But hardly imaginary, where do you think I get my superhuman wit and intellect from?.. Smile
[PICTURE OF A CHURCH SIGN]

I personally.. believe anyone.. will learn more at a college, whether online or in person.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 05:58 am
@secondusername,
secondusername wrote:

The only imaginary friends I have are the numerous personalities I have. One hates my phone. Another is obsessed with my phone. Strange.

Just be glad you don't have to pay extra when you take them to the movies with you.
BeHereNow

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 08:06 am
Do Atheists have Faith?
Well, if they believe in Science they do, at least that is what the scientists say.

~ ~
What are the distinctions between a science and a religion? At first glance one might be inclined to state that a science is a system where beliefs are derived from objective methodologies and that a religion is a system of beliefs based on faith. However, a conscious entity practicing science can only draw on its subjective experiences to form beliefs. This means that no matter how objective science appears to be, there are generally two assumptions which musty be taken entirely on faith.
1) There exists an external objective reality
2) There exists some sort of uniformity through time
a) the universe has structure
b) predictions and generalizations are possible.
http://spaz.ca/aaron/school/science.html

String theory, quantum physics (Schrodinger's cat) and the concept of multiverses brings into question the second faith issue from above.
The uniformity may be there, but in name only, not nearly as most people suppose.

~ ~ ~
We all have faith in something, some admit it, some do not.
The Religionists, they are proud of their faith, and have more than the Atheists.
secondusername

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 08:12 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Just be glad you don't have to pay extra when you take them to the movies with you.

Unfortunately. YouTube movies are all I can afford.
0 Replies

secondusername

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 08:16 am
@BeHereNow,
Quote:
We all have faith in something, some admit it, some do not.

Yes. I believe in the weather. What I don't understand is how so many consider me crazy for having such a belief. It affects everyone. Each day. In some way. No matter what.
BeHereNow

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 08:39 am
@secondusername,
Are you suggesting that faith and belief are the same thing?
Belief in weather has evidence. I see the sun, feel the wind and rain, lots of evidence, convincing evidence.
Faith on the other hand lacks convincing evidence.

What is your evidence that There exists an external objective reality?
You have none. No evidence, not a belief, supported by evidence, but faith.
A belief based on faith.

You seem confused.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 08:51 am
@BeHereNow,
BeHereNow wrote:

Are you suggesting that faith and belief are the same thing?
Belief in weather has evidence. I see the sun, feel the wind and rain, lots of evidence, convincing evidence.
Faith on the other hand lacks convincing evidence.

What is your evidence that There exists an external objective reality?
You have none. No evidence, not a belief, supported by evidence, but faith.
A belief based on faith.

You seem confused.

You seem rather confused yourself, BHN.

What exactly does "belief in weather" actually mean?

Are you able to convey what you mean to convey...without using the a form of the word "believe?"
BeHereNow

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 09:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
It is the thought that something is true, based on convincing evidence.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 09:14 am
@BeHereNow,
BeHereNow wrote:

It is the thought that something is true, based on convincing evidence.

Convincing evidence????

Really!

No person that I have ever questioned on this has ever been able to present anything remotely like "convincing evidence"...any more than any theist that I have questioned has been able to present anything remotely like convincing evidence of the existence of a god.

But I must say they are much more inclined to finally acknowledge that their "convincing evidence" does not really exist...and that their blind guesses...are just guesses (which they call "beliefs" or "faith.)

How about you?
BeHereNow

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 09:23 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Frank AWhat exactly does "belief in weather" actually mean?
BHN: It is the thought that something is true, based on convincing evidence.
Frank No person that I have ever questioned on this has ever been able to present anything remotely like "convincing evidence"...

I suggest you tell them to stick their head out a window.

Quote:
Frank A any more than any theist that I have questioned has been able to present anything remotely like convincing evidence of the existence of a god.

I see your confusion.
You are under the delusion that what convinces me, MUST also convince you.
I hold no such delusion.
You are free to accept any sort of tea reading as evidence, or chicken bones, or whatever it is that you recognize as “evidence”, it will not bother me.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 09:26 am
@BeHereNow,
BeHereNow wrote:

Quote:
Frank AWhat exactly does "belief in weather" actually mean?
BHN: It is the thought that something is true, based on convincing evidence.
Frank No person that I have ever questioned on this has ever been able to present anything remotely like "convincing evidence"...

I suggest you tell them to stick their head out a window.

Quote:
Frank A any more than any theist that I have questioned has been able to present anything remotely like convincing evidence of the existence of a god.

I see your confusion.
You are under the delusion that what convinces me, MUST also convince you.
I hold no such delusion.
You are free to accept any sort of tea reading as evidence, or chicken bones, or whatever it is that you recognize as “evidence”, it will not bother me.

Sounds as though you do not want your "evidence" laughed at. I suspect it is no better than entrails or chicken bones.

Anyway...I do thank you for sharing your guesses. And you may be right. Who knows??? Wink
0 Replies