Was Robert E. Lee guilty of treason?

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 03:45 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
In fact the Reconstruction Act of 1863 was modified several times ultimately to offer "pardons" (pardons before judgement), to High Confederate politicians and militaryOfficers.Issues of treason never arose in Lincolns later words and in his 2nd inaugural, AND I don't think you, I or anyone, really know what was on his mind except getting the wounds healed and "THE" United States , moving forward. (Paraphrasing from Shelby Foote)

So what? The fact that Lincoln wanted to be magnanimous in victory didn't make Lee any less a traitor. I'm baffled as to why you'd think there's a connection between those two things. I repeat: you don't know what you're talking about.
BillRM

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 03:58 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:
didn't make Lee any less a traitor

Quote:
That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 05:42 pm
Yeah, sure, Bill.
Quote:
deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed
57% of the population of South Carolina were slaves. 55% of Mississippi were slaves. 47% of Georgia and Louisiana, 45% of Alabama. Do you really think any of the traitors who seceded asked the slaves if they consented to be governed by the Confederacy? the only way you can think that the South had "just powers" given by the "consent of the governed" is by excluding more than a third of the total population from any say (and a majority of the population in two of the most rabid states in the Confederacy, and the first to secede).
BillRM

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 06:48 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
by the "consent of the governed" is by excluding more than a third of the total population from any say (and a majority of the population in two of the most rabid states in the Confederacy, and the first to secede).

The slaves was just that not part of the governed but instead property with zero rights under the constitution of the US to the point that the SC had rule that even free slaves or descents of slaves could not be citizens of the US.

So you can not attack the south for having slavery when it was part of the whole US federal government from the start of the very nation and the only reason that the northern states went away from having slavery was the difference labor needs of an industry society from an agriculture one.

Hell even so my home state of NJ had slavery until at least the 1840s.
BillRM

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 11:09 pm
@BillRM,
One other comment is that to apply the current moral standards to actions taken in the past in order to attack our ancestors is both pointless and dishonest.

Slavery or similar institutions such as serfdom was not only common but almost universal in all major cultures throughout history until the industrial revolution came along to change the needs of societies.

One can only wonder how Montereyjack would feel about being judge and being found wanting in the light of the moral standards of the far future whatever they might be.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 12:28 am
You want moral standards on slavery at the time of the Revolution, Bill?
Try this, by Tom Paine, the great American patriot, 1775, the first couple paragraphs of his "African Slavery in America" (there's more)
Quote:

To Americans:

That some desperate wretches should be willing to steal and enslave men by violence and murder for gain, is rather lamentable than strange. But that many civilized, nay, Christianized people should approve, and be concerned in the savage practice, is surprising; and still persist, though it has been so often proved contrary to the light of nature, to every principle of Justice and Humanity, and even good policy, by a succession of eminent men, and several late publications.

Our Traders in MEN (an unnatural commodity!) must know the wickedness of the SLAVE-TRADE, if they attend to reasoning, or the dictates of their own hearts: and such as shun and stiffle all these, wilfully sacrifice Conscience, and the character of integrity to that golden idol.

The Managers the Trade themselves, and others testify, that many of these African nations inhabit fertile countries, are industrious farmers, enjoy plenty, and lived quietly, averse to war, before the Europeans debauched them with liquors, and bribing them against one another; and that these inoffensive people are brought into slavery, by stealing them, tempting Kings to sell subjects, which they can have no right to do, and hiring one tribe to war against another, in order to catch prisoners. By such wicked and inhuman ways the English are said to enslave towards one hundred thousand yearly; of which thirty thousand are supposed to die by barbarous treatment in the first year; besides all that are slain in the unnatural ways excited to take them. So much innocent blood have the managers and supporters of this inhuman trade to answer for to the common Lord of all!

Many of these were not prisoners of war, and redeemed from savage conquerors, as some plead; and they who were such prisoners, the English, who promote the war for that very end, are the guilty authors of their being so; and if they were redeemed, as is alleged, they would owe nothing to the redeemer but what he paid for them.

They show as little reason as conscience who put the matter by with saying — "Men, in some cases, are lawfully made slaves, and why may not these?" So men, in some cases, are lawfully put to death, deprived of their goods, without their consent; may any man, therefore, be treated so, without any conviction of desert? Nor is this plea mended by adding — "They are set forth to us as slaves, and we buy them without farther inquiry, let the sellers see to it." Such man may as well join with a known band of robbers, buy their ill-got goods, and help on the trade; ignorance is no more pleadable in one case than the other; the sellers plainly own how they obtain them. But none can lawfully buy without evidence that they are not concurring with Men-Stealers; and as the true owner has a right to reclaim his goods that were stolen, and sold; so the slave, who is proper owner of his freedom, has a right to reclaim it, however often sold.

The moral standards of today aren't all that different from widespread moral standards then. Your argument is false.

Quote:
on April 14, 1775 the first anti-slavery society in America was formed in Philadelphia. Paine was a founding member.]
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 12:50 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Quote:
on April 14, 1775 the first anti-slavery society in America was formed in Philadelphia. Paine was a founding member.]
That was 9O years to the day
b4 the assassination of Lincoln.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:19 am
@MontereyJack,
The fact that the morals standards on slavery was in flux at the time does not mean that you are free to attack the morals of everyone who did not adopted the new standards at once.

Next the northern states did not have either the need for slavery or the dangers of doing away with it that was facing the south at the time.

When word reached the French colony of Haiti that the new revolutionary government of France was outlawing slavery it spark a slaves rebellion that ended up killing almost all whites on the island that could not reach ships in time.

For some not so strange reasons that example of the results of even stating that slavery would be done away with was not lost on the south at the time.

The south had a tiger by the tail that the north did not have as for one thing the population of slaves in the north was never more then a tiny percent of the total population of the north unlike in the south.

As I stated the morals of the time was in flux and the south have many reasons why it was slower then the north in adopting the new morals and that once more does not reflect badly on the people that was slower to adopted the new anti-slavery morals then others who was living in completely difference situations.

The people of France in declaring slavery ended was not in the same boat as the whites in Haiti that was a tiny percent of the population of that island population surrounded with very unhappy black slaves.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:32 am
None of which has any bearing on the morality of slavery. Whatever the South's reasons for oppressing others, it doesn't justify the oppression.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/50/Cicatrices_de_flagellation_sur_un_esclave.jpg/362px-Cicatrices_de_flagellation_sur_un_esclave.jpg

This is a historically important photograph, of the whipping scars on the back of a slave who tried to run away. It's been widely creditedwith a large role in turning the tide of European opinion against the South when it was published in the midst of the war.. Are you going to tell me I can't condemn the morality of people who could do this to someon else, Bill, because they hadn't caught up with changing times? That's absurd.
BillRM

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:36 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
None of which has any bearing on the morality of slavery.

Wrong as most people would consider the first moral duty of any man is not to do anything that is likely to get your wife and children kill.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 06:55 am
So you're arguing that years of oppressing somebody and treating them as not fully human justifies continuing to oppress them, beat them and cheat them forever because they might (not that they in fact did) mistreat you back if you stopped? That's really stupid. Ever hear of the Golden Rule, Bill?
BillRM

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 08:47 am
@MontereyJack,
I am stating once more that it is far far easier to adopt a new repeat a new moral standard when it in no way effect you or your family in a harmful manner then when it placed your very love ones at risk of being killed.

It was far far easier to declare no more slavery for the people of France with no skin in the game then to face seeing your family wiped out as a result in Haiti.

Take note the northern people as a whole was not even willing to consider helping pay for the cost of freeing the slaves of the south in other word their morals convictions did not reach even to the level of their wallets let alone risking their wives and children lives over the matter.

Southerns was in one hell of a difference situation then Northerns when it come to adopting the new once more new morals concerning slavery.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 09:00 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
This is a historically important photograph, of the whipping scars on the back of a slave who tried to run away. It's been widely creditedwith a large role in turning the tide of European opinion

I can only wonder if a picture of a circle of a dozen or so young school children cut off heads existence from the Nat Turner slave revolt if the opinions of Europe would had been so fast to condemn the south.

As I stated they had a tiger by the tail.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 09:17 am
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

So what? The fact that Lincoln wanted to be magnanimous in victory didn't make Lee any less a traitor.
Show me in history that ANY OFFICIAL BODY (Court, tribunal etc) had charged Lee with Treason and then M_A_Y_B_E_E youd have an argument there. Otherwise, your just egaged in email gum flapping .

The FACT that Lee was neither charged NOR convicted of anything that even said TREASON I suppose has no bearing in your mind.

Deal with fcts and evidence , not "Whatifs"
farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 09:36 am
@farmerman,
A review of Robt E Lee's "201" file from 1945(as per request by petitioner Davis)

Quote:
16 Jan 45) RO-R

Mrs. Sam. A. Davis,

235 South Jackson,

Glendale 5, California.

Dear Mrs. Davis:

In response to your letter of 16 January 1945, herewith in a copy of my letter of 27 June 1936, regarding General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

"In a proclamation dated May 29, 1865 (13 Stat. 758), President Johnson granted, with certain exceptions, amnesty and pardon ‘to all persons who have, directly or indirectly, participated in the existing rebellion * * *’. Among the persons excepted from the operation of this proclamation were

"3rd. All who shall have been military or naval officers of said pretended confederate government above the rank of colonel in the army or lieutenant in the navy;

"5th. All who resigned or tendered resignations of their commissions in the army or navy of the United States to evade duty in resisting the rebellion;

"8th. All military and naval officers in the rebel service, who were educated by the government in the Military Academy at West Point or the United States Naval Academy."

"Persons who sought to accept the benefits of this proclamation were required to take and subscribe to, maintain inviolate, an oath of allegiance prescried therein.

"General Lee, although not included within the terms of this proclamation by reason of the above quoted exceptions, made application for a pardon which, however, appears never to have been aced upon by President Johnson. The required oath of allegiance did not accompany General Lee’s applciation (War of the Rebellion Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Vol. XLVI, Part III, pp. 1275-1286).

"On July 4, 1868, President Johnson issued another proclamation of amnesty and pardon (15 Stat. 702) which was much broader in its application than that of May 29, 1865, in that it granted

"* * * unconditionally and without reservation, to all and to every person who directly or indirectly participated in the late insurrection or rebellion, excepting such person or persons as may be under presentment or indictment in any court of the United States having competent jurisdiction, upon a charge of treason or other felony, a full pardon and amnesty for the offence of treason against the United States, or of adhering to their enemies during the late civil war * * *".

"No oath of allegiance or other act was required of those who were pardoned by the amnesty of July 4, 1868, above cited.

"It would appear that this amnesty proclamation operated to pardon General Lee for the offense of treason for, so far as is known, General Lee was not under presentment or indictment upon a charge of treason or other felony.

"On July 13, 1868, nine days after the proclamation last above referred to, the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution was ratified by the last State necessary for its adoption.

"The third section of this amendment materially restricted the political rights of former officers of the United States who had participated in the rebellion against them, unless relieved from such disability by a vote of two-thirds of each House of Congress.

"In a proclamation dated December 25, 1868 (15 Stat. 711), President Johnson proclaimed and declared

" * * * unconditionally, and without reservation, to all and every person who directly or indirectly participated in the late insurrection or rebellion, a full pardon and amnesty for the offence of treason against the United States, or of adhering to their enemies during the late civil war, with restoration of all rights, privileges, and immunities under the Constitution and the laws which have been made in pursuance thereof.

"This proclamation following, as it did, the adoption of the Fourteenth Amendent, was necessarily limited in its operation by the restrictions imposed by that Amendement upon the President’s pardoning power. The proclamation was operative, however, to pardon General Lee for the offense of treason and restore all to his former constittuional rights, privileges and immunities except the right to hold certain offices.

"Following General Lee’s death, October 12, 1870, Congress, by the acts of May 22, 1872 (17 Stat. 142), and June 6, 1898 (30 Stat. 432), removed all political disabilities imposed by the 3rd Section of the Fourteenth Amendment.

"It seems clear that General Lee was in fact pardoned by President Johnson, if not by the proclamation of July 4, 1868, then certainly by that of December 25, 1868, and that any politcal limitations to which he was subject by the Fourteenth Amendment were removed by the act of June 6, 1898.

"It is the opinion of the War Department that full and complete amnesty was accorded to General Lee by the several proclamations and acts of Congress above referred to, and that there remains no disability with respect to him upon which a further act of the Executive or of Congress could be operative even if he were still living."

Sincerely yours,

J.A. ULIO,

Major General,

The Adjutant General

By:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 09:46 am
So Lee was subject to those exceptions, and must therefore have been considered a traitor by Mr. Johnson's government. He held a rank in the pretended confederate government's army higher than Colonel. He was educated at the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York. I suspect that Johnson's government felt that a case could be made that he had resigned his commission in the United States are to evade his responsibility to suppress the rebellion.

Looks clear-cut to me, no "what ifs" there.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 10:45 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Show me in history that ANY OFFICIAL BODY (Court, tribunal etc) had charged Lee with Treason and then M_A_Y_B_E_E youd have an argument there. Otherwise, your just egaged in email gum flapping .

I'll freely admit that Lee was never charged, tried, or convicted of treason. But then I didn't need you to tell me that - I already knew it. Indeed, everyone knows that. It's not subject to debate, so if that's all you want to say, then consider your mission to have been accomplished. Go now in peace.

On the other hand, if you want to continue this discussion on a non-trivial level (as you seem to have wanted in your previous posts), then you'll address the non-trivial question of whether Lee's actions amounted to treason.

farmerman wrote:
The FACT that Lee was neither charged NOR convicted of anything that even said TREASON I suppose has no bearing in your mind.

No, none whatsoever. As I said, the fact that Lee wasn't charged with treason is an uninteresting bit of trivia.

farmerman wrote:
Deal with fcts and evidence , not "Whatifs"

Whether Lee's actions constituted treason is not a hypothetical question.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 12:30 pm

The issue of whether Lee was guilty of treason
depends on whether or not he was a citizen of the USA
and whether Virginia had actually succeeded (for whatever period of time)
in seceding from the USA when Lee initiated hostilities.

David
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 12:36 pm
@joefromchicago,
I "was speaking to the OP" before you barged in and decided to be a truncheon. This issue is whether LEE WAS GUILTY of TREASON ?.
You have no basis toclaim that either in history or in any supportive evidence.
You danced around all the facts
1 Lincoln's 2nd inaugural was conciliatory , whether Congress would override any proclamations was never to happen

2 The conditions of pardon were identified in Johnsons 1868 proclamation. The term "treason" was not in there

3. Further proclamations in 1871 removed any requirements against serving in the military command or in govt service of the US to former Confederate Officers

When you win a war next time, you can decide the terms and the definitions, until then, my vote cancels yours.

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 30 Jan, 2014 01:16 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I "was speaking to the OP" before you barged in and decided to be a truncheon. This issue is whether LEE WAS GUILTY of TREASON ?.

So who made you the hall monitor of this thread?

farmerman wrote:
You have no basis toclaim that either in history or in any supportive evidence.

Sure I do. The notion of "treason" was well-understood at the time, and it was generally accepted that the actions that Lee took in taking arms against his country was "treasonous" under that definition. There are plenty of contemporary sources that refer to the south as being in rebellion and its leaders as being traitors - the sources are so numerous that there's really no need to cite them. But since you like Abraham Lincoln so much, you can start with his 1863 Proclamation of Amnesty and Reconstruction, which contains tidbits such as this:

Abraham Lincoln wrote:
Whereas a rebellion now exists whereby the loyal State governments of several States have for a long time been subverted, and many persons have committed and are now guilty of treason against the United States

(emphasis added)

There's plenty more references in Lincoln's writings to the south's rebellion and treason - you can do your own search.

farmerman wrote:
You danced around all the facts
1 Lincoln's 2nd inaugural was conciliatory , whether Congress would override any proclamations was never to happen

So what? As I said, just because Lincoln planned to be magnanimous didn't erase Lee's treason.

farmerman wrote:
2 The conditions of pardon were identified in Johnsons 1868 proclamation. The term "treason" was not in there

Yes it is.

Andrew Johnson wrote:
I, Andrew Johnson President of the United States, by virtue of the power and authority in me vested by the Constitution and in the name of the sovereign people of the United States, do hereby proclaim and declare unconditionally and without reservation, to all and to every person who, directly or indirectly, participated in the late insurrection or rebellion a full pardon and amnesty for the offense of treason against the United States

In any event, he didn't have to say "treason." He said the war was a "rebellion." That's sufficient to identify its leaders as traitors. Besides, as has been pointed out before (and which you conveniently ignore), you can't get amnesty if you didn't do anything wrong.

farmerman wrote:
3. Further proclamations in 1871 removed any requirements against serving in the military command or in govt service of the US to former Confederate Officers

Again, so what? Just because the US government decided to treat the traitors leniently didn't make them any less treasonous.

farmerman wrote:
When you win a war next time, you can decide the terms and the definitions, until then, my vote cancels yours.

Laughing