Are Democrats & Republicans wired differently?

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:18 pm
Okay you anti-Drudge people, please try to overlook the source of this post and focus on the content. I have been thinking about it and wonder:
1) Does it bother me that politicians might use this kind of research to decide on the content of campaign ads?
2) Is there a real difference in the 'wiring' of Democrats & Republicans?

CAMPAIGN ADS TESTED WITH BRAIN SENSORS
Mon Apr 19 2004 19:31:19 ET
Drudge Report April 19, 2004.

New campaign ads are being tested on how they affect blood flow in the brain, the NEW YORK TIMES is planning to report on Page Ones Tuesday.

Newsroom sources tell DRUDGE how NYT reporter John Tierney has filed a 1100 word story on the possible future of campaign strategy development.

A subject lay inside an MRI machine, watching commercials playing on the inside of his goggles as neuroscientists from UCLA measured the blood flow in his brain.

Instead of asking the subject -- a Democratic voter -- what he thought of the use of Sept. 11 images in the first Bush campaign commercial this year, the researchers noted which parts of his brain were active as he watched -- and that they were different from the parts that had lit up in earlier tests with Republican voters.

The researchers don't claim to have figured out either party's brain quite yet, since they haven't finished this pioneering experiment.

But they have already noticed intriguing patterns in the way that Democrats and Republicans look at candidates.

Researchers zeroed in on 9/11 images and their particular effect among Democrats on the amygdala, the part of the brain that responds to threats and danger. Tested Democrats responded to the Sept. 11 images with noticeably more activity in the amygdala than did the Republicans.

"The first interpretation that occurred to me," one scientist conducting the test tells the NYT, "is that the Democrats see the 9/11 issue as a good way for Bush to get re-elected, and they experience that as a threat."

Developing...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,730 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:29 am
Quote:
"The first interpretation that occurred to me," one scientist conducting the test tells the NYT, "is that the Democrats see the 9/11 issue as a good way for Bush to get re-elected, and they experience that as a threat."

That is one conclusion, but there are probably dozens of others. In order for a study to be considered reliable (having the ability to replicate, and come to similar conclusions) there has to be a certain number of participants. I vaguely remember that there is a formula, from my stat class, that determines how many subjects you need to have a reliable experiment.

Anyhow, I think that the area of study that you have quoted is an intriguing one. I also think that it is much too early to come up with any sort of a conclusion. You would need a stratified random sampling of subjects based on many factors that have not yet been considered.

I will definitely stay tuned......................
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 07:28 am
The test seems like a joke. Physiological reaction to stimulation can be indicative of the effect it has on the person and not necessarily an indication of different wiring.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:20 am
Yeah I don't know how many people were involved in the study and Drudge's 'heads up' promo didn't give much detail.

However, just our limited sampling here on A2K would suggest that people aligned with one camp or the other can hear the same speech or read the exact same data and arrive at widely different conclusions about what they saw, heard, or read. I hope somebody really is doing a study. I think the results might be fascinating.

(I just hate to give the campaign ad producers more ammunition to play on people's emotions rather than giving us substance and real information.)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:29 am
I may be mistaken; but it seems to me your average, I repeat average not anyone in particular, democrat is a little more emotional than your average republican. Could this explain a slightly different reaction... and couldn't it result in a slight variation?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 08:41 am
IMO there are so MANY variables, that at this time, there is absolutely no way that you can really draw any worthwhile conclusions. But, if you sell the idea to the political gurus who buy these ads that the commercials DO work, and then sell the commercials to the public.............................................
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:58 am
People definitely arrive to different conclusions based on the same data. My point is that measuring the physiological reaction only says that much, and doesn't indicate whether the difference is inherent wiring or the product of one's positions and experiences.

In other words, do Republicans and Democrats arrive at different conclusions based on the same data? Yes.

Are they wired differently? This study will not be able to determine that.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:03 am
Don't burst my bubble, Craven. I'm wanting a reason that we all see things so differently. Smile
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:06 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Don't burst my bubble, Craven. I'm wanting a reason that we all see things so differently. Smile

Foxfyre, do you think that religion has anything to do with the way messages are received?

It seems to me that those with minds trained to accept through faith, dogma that goes against rationality, would have a tendency to more easily accept ideas like "trickle down economics" or a "Sadam 9/11 connection".
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:15 pm
I dunno Mesquite. Maybe in the example given of 9/11 itself, a very religious person might see Armaggedon while a non-religious person might see Republican conspiracy. There are some to this day that swear the GOP 'made up' the plane flying into Pentagon and insist that never happened.

If this is a serious scientific study, we may get some answers.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:29 pm
There may well be fundamental differences, but to prove that they are hardcoded means to first solve the nature/nurture debate.

Ain't gonna happen, the reason being that it's both nature and nuture.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:33 pm
There are Christians who are very traditional in their private religious and moral beliefs but are liberal and democrats in their government belief.

People are born differently generally even in their own families and culture and it would be interesting to know why.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:38 pm
I don't doubt that Craven is correct here, but I still think it merits thinking about it. And good point Revel. Trying to lump all Christians into the same pot is just as dumb as trying to dump all Republicans or all Democrats into the same pot.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:44 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I dunno Mesquite. Maybe in the example given of 9/11 itself, a very religious person might see Armaggedon while a non-religious person might see Republican conspiracy. There are some to this day that swear the GOP 'made up' the plane flying into Pentagon and insist that never happened.

re bold text: The old deflective horseapple again eh?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 04:59 pm
Foxfyre,
I was not trying to lump all Christians into the same pot. I am well aware that there are many like Revel here on A2K that do not follow in lockstep with the religious right. There are also many non-religious conservatives here that that seldom deviate from the party line.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 05:12 pm
The post wasn't directed at you Mesquite. I was agreeing with Revel.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:12 pm
Craven is dead right about the hard-coded question... but I'm not sure it matters as far as using the findings for campaign ads. Example: the pathological liar who effortlessly beats the lie detector test has a measurable difference in brain activity.
It matters not at all if he was born that way or learned it. The results remain the same.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:29 pm
quit blowing that goddamn cigar smoke in here
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 10:35 pm
I love the smell of a good cigar.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 11:32 pm
Yeah, I do too. Maybe it's that face that's the problem.
0 Replies