"Two Beers, please"

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 01:18 pm
D1Doris my first thought was "twee bier, graag". I never use "alstublieft" or "alsjeblieft". Hope I'm not being rude :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 01:20 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

The above phrase can be used anywhere.

Which he really does - regardless, how many are in his company :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2004 06:59 pm
after two "bockbier" everything looks like the georgian alphabet to me ! hbg
0 Replies

axi

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 01:02 pm
i don't have the greek alphabet on my pc, but the would say something like:

dio birres, parakalo
0 Replies

Peter S

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 01:15 am
"Two beers, Please"
Hello everyone,

a Mass or zwoa Bier in Bavarian
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 01:22 am
"Gfraid me, dass hergfundn haschts." Laughing

Welcome to A2K, Peter! Hope, you'll enjoy the other categories as well!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 10:52 am
welcome, peter s. : hope you enjoy the companionship of the other able2know members. as a teenager - a looong time ago - i spent six wonderful months in metten near deggendorf. our school had been relocated from hamburg and we stayed at the former orphanage attached to the cloister metten. the nuns looked after as well and made sure we always had plenty to eat. i'm eternally greatful for the care they gave us, even though we behaved like any other tenager and caused them some grief at times. they were just wonderful ! hbg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 11:10 am
Gieza pint a heavy, Jimmy, an wan fur heidtheba' an wan fur yersel.

Mathematically challenged Glaswegian.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 11:16 am
Bravo, McTag.

I now wonder how it is said in Australian.
Peter S

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 02:25 am
Walter and hamburger thank you for welcome me.
Walter your answer sounds like Bavarian, could you pronouce it in the same way? Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 06:43 am
Peter S. wrote:
Walter your answer sounds like Bavarian, could you pronouce it in the same way? Laughing

G'wiß net Laughing
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 07:09 am
Zweimal mit Bier.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 08:29 am
Heh, heh! :wink:
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 03:53 pm
"luett un' luett" - that's what the longshoremen ordered in the little pubs along the harbour (the street was called "vorsetzen")when they came off shift . it referred to a small "schnapps' (usually caraway-flavoured) and a small beer(usually a quarter of a liter). translated it would mean "little and little".. this was before the war, and three sets usually cost one mark (reichsmark), so it was common to invite two friends to partake in the refreshments (unless one was particularly thirsty or had worked under dusty conditions in which case the parched throat required extra attention). hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 04:05 pm
hamburger wrote:
"luett un' luett" - that's what the longshoremen ordered in the little pubs along the harbour (the street was called "vorsetzen")when they came off shift . it referred to a small "schnapps' (usually caraway-flavoured) and a small beer(usually a quarter of a liter). translated it would mean "little and little".. this was before the war, and three sets usually cost one mark (reichsmark), so it was common to invite two friends to partake in the refreshments (unless one was particularly thirsty or had worked under dusty conditions in which case the parched throat required extra attention). hbg

This "lütt un lütt" is known in Hannover as "lüttje lage" ... same as in Hamburg :wink:

http://nibis.ni.schule.de/~kgsneust/Comenius/Alltag/haushalt/rezepte/bilder/luetje.jpg
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:22 pm
hamburger wrote:

Well that is very like the Scottish custom of drinking a "hauf 'n' a hauf"...(rhymes with "off") which means a half-and-a-half.
This was a measure of whisky (originally half a gill, but the standard pub measure today is about a quarter of that) and a half-pint of heavy-gravity beer.
The modern equivalent would be termed beer with whisky chasers.

This drinking style was common in the west of Scotland in the 1950s. The fair city of Glasgow was famous for its drunks, especially on a Friday night.

Whoops, grammar. The fair city of Glasgow was famous for its drunks, which were seen in large numbers on a Friday night.

McT
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 08:52 pm
well, the longshore-men weren't quite as fancily dressed as the fellow in walter's picture - a sailor's cap or cloth-cap was more their style. if you were a foreman or machinist you might wear a hat (i even remember that some wore a homburg !), to show your elevated position. the "luett un' luett" was strictly to be taken "on the run" - usually on the way home and standing up at the bar. my dad would on occasion(about every other month) take me along (i wasn't even a teenager) when he met with some of the staff from headoffice, shipping agents and captains to discuss serious business issues. they would usually meet in a separate area of the pub, i think what the english call a "snug" (?). i'd be allowed a shandy or some other low-alcohol drink (and would usually wind up with plenty of pocket money; his friends were usually pretty generous and i sure didn't mind the attention i received !). hbg
0 Replies

Leonard

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 03:59 pm
Latvian:
Divus alus, lūdzu! or: Divas krūzes alus, lūdzu! (two mugs of beer)
or if you demanded beer immediately:
Dod man divas krūzes alus, tulitas!
But don't expect any beer in Latvia with that attitude.
0 Replies

gazzajervis

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 03:49 pm
@fbaezer,
What is 2 beers please in Greek?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 04:39 pm
Cha' warnog
Klingons don't have a word for please in their language.
0 Replies