Paragraph Composition Ideas Needed.

Zxxzy

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 07:41 pm
For school, I got an assignment for the short story, "It Was The Strangest Thing." I have to write a paragraph composition for this question; "Use at least one example from the story which explains how the author uses the language to describe the ocean as if it was alive." I have no idea what to write, nothing comes to mind at all. I'm asking this because my teacher asked us to try it this http://www.openschool.bc.ca/courses/en12/intro_assn.pdf to get ready for English Mid-terms, and I got most of the questions down, however as said previously, nothing comes to mind when I'm at the Paragraph Composition part of it. I can't figure out how the author uses language that describes the ocean as though it is alive. Are there any tips in figuring this out if I had this type of question for a mid-term or test?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 908 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Zxxzy
Miss L Toad
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 19 Jan, 2014 10:22 pm
@Zxxzy,
Look up personification and figures of speech in general, then try to find words that describe the ocean as if it is human, for example, angry might be one example.
0 Replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2014 01:01 pm
@Zxxzy,

The ocean was "frothing, angry; it gave a monstrous roar; The wave picked us up; the water sucked me; was in control; It carried me around". If anything there sounds to you that the ocean was alive, go with that - or all of them.
Zxxzy

Reply Tue 21 Jan, 2014 12:52 am
@Jack of Hearts,
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of as well after Miss L Toads advice. It's pretty easy now that I think about it, and I don't understand why I couldn't figure that out. Thanks a lot.
0 Replies